ABS speed sensor question 04 Hemi

TREKER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was driving my 04 Hemi QC and noticed that the speedo is hopping around and every so often when I hit the brake, the anit-locks kick in. It is intermittent but I did a little research and I think its the ABS speed sensor. Anyone know if this is an easy fix? Looks like I just have to pull the tire and brake line to replace.

Does each wheel have this sensor? If so, how do I determine which one it is?

Any help would be appreciated.

as far as i know, the speedo and the abs are unrelated.
the speedo gets its information off the speed sensor in the transmission, abs wheel speed sensor is on each wheel.
sounds like you have two issues, or one major electrical problem brewing.

if your 04 hemi has 4 wheel ABS, there is a sensor on each front wheel hubs and then one on your diff housing. If its just Rear wheel abs, just has the one on the diff housing. This could certainly be an issue. Do you have ABS light coming on or check engine light? Are you hearing any noises from your rear end are? An unusual whine/growling or anything?

I had the same problem once.

I replaced the speed sensor on the rear differential housing and that fixed it for me.It is fairly easy to pull and replace.

If it were mine,that is where I would start.

TheMoparConnection said:
if your 04 hemi has 4 wheel ABS, there is a sensor on each front wheel hubs and then one on your diff housing. If its just Rear wheel abs, just has the one on the diff housing. This could certainly be an issue. Do you have ABS light coming on or check engine light? Are you hearing any noises from your rear end are? An unusual whine/growling or anything?

No lights or noises... Just started two days ago and is intermittent. I hit the brakes coming home and the ABS kicked in and the speedo was jumping a bit. I do not feel like I am in any danger and the brakes work fine. I just notice this every so often so I assumed the sensor is bad, most likely in one of the front wheels.

HOT RAM said:
I had the same problem once.

I replaced the speed sensor on the rear differential housing and that fixed it for me.It is fairly easy to pull and replace.

If it were mine,that is where I would start.

Your speedo was hopping around too?

I know my check engine light came on when one of my sensors went bad. When I checked what code it was it specifically read front left sensor.. I guess I would assume if it was a sensor your check engine light would turn on.

Update on this....

Spoke to my local mechanic and he said that since the speedo is spiking, it must be the rear sensor. The speedo is only controlled by the rear sensor.

That being said... Anyone know what the stock sensor model number is and a price?

TREKER said:
Update on this....

Spoke to my local mechanic and he said that since the speedo is spiking, it must be the rear sensor. The speedo is only controlled by the rear sensor.

That being said... Anyone know what the stock sensor model number is and a price?

told ya ;) :p :D

Can't help you with the # or price

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back