Adding more air

Also..IMO..which means nothing, with the difusers, you have 2, basically wind blockers, that are basically hitting the air straight on, except for the actual difuser part, that puts the air into the fender. The square inches, of both difusers, arent enough, IMO, to slow a 500-600 hp vehicle down that much, if any, its minimal IMO. I'm not an aerodynamicist, wont pretend to be. Im sure the guys at Dodge did copius hrs of drag and inertia tests before coming up with this final product. But, IMO, instead of the frontal air, hitting the 2 difusers straight on, which IMO, is the same as hitting the firewall, then, to me, the parachute effect would be minimal. Plus, maybe like this, some of the engine heat, is being diverted to underneath the truck. We would need a wind tunnel to figure this out. In the mean time, I'll just leave it this way. Wrong or right. Thnx for your comments. I'm not saying your wrong by any means, you might be spot on. This is just my thinking, and it works for me..!

IMO you have many opinions:)

In which you said yourself has no meaning, IMO that would be correct.

Last edited:
I built my CAI to use a conical K&N filter and air intake thru the grill. Built this setup about eight years ago.

DSCN0600.JPG

DSCN0606.JPG

DSCN0608.JPG

One reason was, i dont need the difuser now, as the closed air box, now blocks the opening in the fender, where the difuser air comes in. 2nd was, im hoping by taking the difusers out, more air will go into the engine compartment and moving down the firewall, to underneath the truck, taking some of the heat with it.

Awesome, didn't realize the diffuser actually aimed the air to the fender well area (never looked that closely at their design tbh) makes sense to delete something that no longer would be useful. :D

Wow dryer duct.. Repackage it and call it snakebitten intake or something using snake puns, say you engineered and fabricated it and sell it as a vendor... Woot!

Last edited:
Wow dryer duct.. Repackage it and call it snakebitten intake or something using snake puns, say you engineered and fabricated it and sell it as a vendor... Woot!

Good'ol Johnny. I guess you can't expect too much from a guy who has a futurama character as his profile picture.

Also..IMO..which means nothing, with the difusers, you have 2, basically wind blockers, that are basically hitting the air straight on, except for the actual difuser part, that puts the air into the fender. The square inches, of both difusers, arent enough, IMO, to slow a 500-600 hp vehicle down that much, if any, its minimal IMO. I'm not an aerodynamicist, wont pretend to be. Im sure the guys at Dodge did copius hrs of drag and inertia tests before coming up with this final product. But, IMO, instead of the frontal air, hitting the 2 difusers straight on, which IMO, is the same as hitting the firewall, then, to me, the parachute effect would be minimal. Plus, maybe like this, some of the engine heat, is being diverted to underneath the truck. We would need a wind tunnel to figure this out. In the mean time, I'll just leave it this way. Wrong or right. Thnx for your comments. I'm not saying your wrong by any means, you might be spot on. This is just my thinking, and it works for me..!

Talking diffusers (grill block off's) and Ram / Cold Air feed.... Grill block off's first.... Think NASCAR just for starters. When the playing field is virtually equal other than driver, pit stops and suspension set up, on the super speedways, the teams determine how small of an opening thru the grill is need to maintain enough cooling to finish without overheating. You may notice that they ADD tape as the race goes on. This assists aero and speed. As you know, the NASCAR truck team assisted in the development of the aero's on our trucks. Frontal area is our biggest speed enemy. Here is an excellent quote from attached article link.. http://www.edmunds.com/fuel-economy/improving-aerodynamics-to-boost-fuel-economy.html

"Cars typically have a much lower Cd than pickups and SUVs, which sit higher, are bigger and have greater cooling needs. Cooling is a big deal, aerodynamically speaking, since it requires airflow into the vehicle through the radiator, which increases drag."
"to reduce drag. "We look at all areas of the car that come in contact with the air. Upper surface shape, under floor, wheels and even cooling and engine bay,""

With that being true, the engineers determined the smallest opening required to cool the big 'ol V10. Smaller opening moves the maximum amount of air AROUND or trucks... not through them. As a bonus to us, the passenger block off has a VERY effective scoop to catch a slice of the high velocity, cool air and funnel it into the fender cavity. I'll touch on the benefits of that in a moment.
The next benefit of the smaller grill opening is "Diffusion Cooling". Our trucks cool better when the air coming into the engine bay SLOWS DOWN, thus absorbing more heat over time and then exits out hood vent (scoop) and below firewall. Remember, the hood "scoop" is actually in a low pressure area and is under draw.
The same dynamics come into play with our factory "Cold Air" feed. Just used for a different benefit. That slice of high velocity, cool air SLOWS DOWN as it enters the fender cavity. This is where the basics of "Ram Recovery" occur. As the air slows, volume increases as does pressure. One primary RULE of ram recovery is the opening needs to be SMALLER than the duct (which gradually increases in size) as it enters the "Air Box" (our fender) allowing the high velocity air to slow down recovering pressure and volume. Now, as our engine needs to, it draws from that cavity on every intake pulse. The beauty is it's not drawing from a static environment! Also notice that our oil cooler benefit's from the same cavity. There is such a high volume of air in the fender at road speeds (above 40 mph) that there is more than enough for both the engine draw AND the flow thru our oil coolers. So much so that the cavity does not need to be completely sealed.
As for "Parachute Effect", not only is the added "drag" a drag, the front end lift can negatively effect handling and grip.
So, after all that, you can see how two simple pieces of black plastic have a HUGE effect on overall truck performance. COOL HEY?:D

Cheers!

Last edited:
Interesting. Thank you for the information. I will probably have new ones fabricated, or at least the passenger side one, as I dont need or want the intake air coming from the fender with the new airbox. I really appreciate your time, for clearing this up for me. I was def. wrong regarding the difusers.

Last edited:
Interesting. Thank you for the information. I will probably have new ones fabricated, or at least the passenger side one, as I dont need or want the intake air coming from the fender with the new airbox. I really appreciate your time, for clearing this up for me. I was def. wrong regarding the difusers.

Sure thing. Glad to share the info. Keep in mind that even though your new scoop and filter box is done with excellent craftsmanship and is a thing of beauty. The intake "stack" (trumpet shape) will actually hurt you at speed. It defies the one of the critical rules for ram air. It should start smaller and gradually enlarge as it reaches the airbox. Your direct route into the filter box will grab cool air no doubt. However, any ram recovery cannot occur. Plus, it's just a filter box, not really an airbox. It does not have enough volume to recover ram from the high velocity input your new bell shaped snorkel will produce. That type of snorkel is typically used on a forced induction set up where pressure is produced by the turbo or supercharger.
Only your inner fender area will have the huge volume needed to succeed in making the best of our N/A set ups.
So, if you keep using the nice looking cold air kit, at least modify a stock right block off and retain the scoop to keep cool air going into your fender area. Your oil cooler will thank you.;)
Now you can see why posts throughout this site and others will show that the stock set up with a K&N works best for power. Those SRT guys really did a neat job on this truck. :rock:

Cheers :)

Stock right block off? is this what you mean?...Appreciate your insight on this...! I just did this...

Attachments

• DSC00182.JPG
    DSC00182.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Stock right block off? is this what you mean?...Appreciate your insight on this...! I just did this...

Now you created a new problem for your truck.

After seeing that front end in the rear view mirror no one will want to race. Lol

Thnx...im a hoping they see my ass end...not the front..lol

Thnx...im a hoping they see my ass end...not the front..lol

Well it's not like they are going to catch up with you. Especially with all that spray.
I'm use to the way it works with my truck. We're usually doing all the passing. Lol

No don't get us wrong man, we aren't dissing your project. I mean this with all respect to help you out... It's just too mexican looking at the moment. You have such a nice truck and have a good idea, but do you really want to put sewege pipe and fart fan ducting that you probably got from the Home Depot in that mean machine?

Give Justin from JMB a call and just ask him for a little help with your idea. That way you can have something that looks like a finished product. And that you won't be made fun of for when you open that hood, but flooded with compliments instead.
To Mexican looking???
Please elaborate on this!!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back