any advice for a 2k mile roadtrip after delivery?

sqweak

Reaction score
Hey All!

I know that break-in can be a hot topic, but I thought I'd throw my hat in the ring. I'm picking up my RC NightRunner from Woodhouse on Friday and will be driving it back from Omaha to SoCal over 4 days. We'll do omaha-> kc (~325 mi) on friday, KC->colorado springs (600 mi) saturday, CS->SoCal (~1200 mi) over sunday and monday with an unknown stop.

Should I be cncerned about varying my speed the whole time, or is the break in done at the factory sufficient? Anything else I should know? (yes, I know I'll need an oil/filter change when I get to LA ;))

Thanks!
sqw

If you ask me...

After the Omaha > KC leg of the trip...:driver::burnout: Drive it like you stole it!!!!

It'll be hard enough on that first leg not to get carried away!! You are gonna love that thing!!

I'm in goodland, KS near the co/ks border on i-70. Let me know when you are coming by and maybe I can meet ya for lunch or something.

- 6th gear. As much as possible.
- Set cruise between 70 and 80. In my RC, I like 72 or 73. It's good MPG and I can afford the ticket. :)
- Fill up the tank as often as possible for best MPG. Don't let it go under 1/2 a tank.
- Check fluid levels, esp. oil, at every fill up or every morning.
- Utah State Troopers are very, VERY bored.
- Enjoy the ride!

Check fluid levels and tire pressure before you leave dealer...

Walk all around vehicle, take a close look in the light, from different angles, and feel the seams....check for any scratches or damage.....also, check the wheels for damage....negotiate the price down or find an undamaged one....my first truck was damaged, and when I went back to pick out an undamaged one, I had to look at three trucks before I found one that was without scratches, dings, or something that wasn't perfect...

I typically make my first four trips for no more than 15 minutes and no faster than 60 mph....that's just me and my typical process for breaking in gears, and it's now fed over into my new car buying....

First thousand miles, keep the RPM's low and MPH below 75....let everything break in appropriately.....after 1000 miles, drive it agressive.....agressive shifts, RPM's....as somebody already said above, drove it like you stole it, but don't get a ticket....this is important to the break-in as well, and this thing is made to be driven....

Would advise an oil change when you get home...

Have fun and good luck...

breaking in the clutch is very important...500 miles (city driving though). this is how i broke mine in and have not had any clutch problems!

I drove mine for SLC, Utah to Oceanside CA and back, right after I bought it. So after 5 days of ownership, I already had over 2k miles on it....Have fun

Was in KC yesterday......snow and ice still everywhere.....

Put it in a hauler and have it delivered......:dontknow: ....

:D

Where you going to be in So-Cal....?

MYuGiOh Motorsports said:
I drove mine for SLC, Utah to Oceanside CA and back, right after I bought it. So after 5 days of ownership, I already had over 2k miles on it....Have fun

You whore....!!!!

You were in Oceanside and didn't come to see me.........:dontknow:

You.............you...........bastard........!!! ;) :D :p

SD

Kevan said:
- 6th gear. As much as possible.
- Set cruise between 70 and 80. In my RC, I like 72 or 73. It's good MPG and I can afford the ticket. :)
- Fill up the tank as often as possible for best MPG. Don't let it go under 1/2 a tank.
- Check fluid levels, esp. oil, at every fill up or every morning.
- Utah State Troopers are very, VERY bored.
- Enjoy the ride!

I agree here except for the line above. Having a constant speed on a new engine can be a very bad thing. Owners manual usually states to NOT do this. There are 2 schools of thought on break in. Baby it, or drive the hell out of it from the first mile. I prefer to be somewhere in the middle as others have said, let the first 1000 miles be a shake down period varying the speed and keeping it under control, then let her rip. Enjoy the trip.

Jeff

I bought my 05rc brand new in Omaha on aug 15th and drove it straight home 2 Phoenix. Did the trip in under 18 hours srtaight and beat the hell out of it the whole way (140+ a couple of times with less than 1000 miles on). Truck now has almost 5k on it and runs like a champ. I have broken in all my cars by driving them like I would normally and they've always ran great.:rock: :rock: :rock:

i peeled out of the dealers parking lot with 18 miles on it and ran it up to 130 in front of that same dealer when i turned around and went back the other way.

drive it like you stole the minute you get in it.

YellowFever said:
I agree here except for the line above. Having a constant speed on a new engine can be a very bad thing. Owners manual usually states to NOT do this. There are 2 schools of thought on break in. Baby it, or drive the hell out of it from the first mile. I prefer to be somewhere in the middle as others have said, let the first 1000 miles be a shake down period varying the speed and keeping it under control, then let her rip. Enjoy the trip.

Jeff
I was simply referencing MPG.
Not break-in measures.

thanks all! I think I'll take the middle ground and take it easy until CO and then open her up the rest of the way :D

nowwhat: I know, I'm not too crazy about the current weather. :( We choose to come pick it up because the shipping cost was pretty significant, and due to the number of trucks woodhouse sold recently (100+) it was going to take longer than I wanted. Besides, this way we can sneak in some quick family visits to make up for the fact we're not coming back for christmas. :) We live in Santa Monica, just west of LA.

sanchoba: is the clutch break in procedure any different than engine?

TheSickness said:
My advice is bring lotsa Cheeto's and Pepsi.......and a Ass cushion ;) :D
And a "Family Force 5" CD to break in the stereo's subwoofer - tracks "Earthquake" & "Supersonic"...

Kevan said:
I was simply referencing MPG.
Not break-in measures.

No problem bro. It read to me like break in advice, I wasn't trying to be a dick, just making a point.

Jeff

DenOfThievz said:
And a "Family Force 5" CD to break in the stereo's subwoofer - tracks "Earthquake" & "Supersonic"...

Or try some Yanni, I'm sure Sickness has a CD you could borrow.

I think the most critical part of the break in is the clutch as Sanchoba said, vary your speeds as much as possible(city driving). I know you will be driving on interstates so that will be difficult, maybe get off and on at every exit ramp!!:D

It will take you twice as long but you will have alot of fun banging through the gears!!:rock:

ntw0rk said:
If you ask me...

After the Omaha > KC leg of the trip...:driver::burnout: Drive it like you stole it!!!!

It'll be hard enough on that first leg not to get carried away!! You are gonna love that thing!!

:withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :withstupid: :dito: :dito: :dito: :driver: :driver: :driver: :burnout: :burnout: :burnout:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back