Any dyno tips or advice?

Mighty1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am hoping to finally hit the dyno in the next couple weeks. Been running Torrie's base paxton tune during break in and troubleshooting.

Since I have never been to a dyno, anyone have any advice or tips for a trouble free tuning session? Do's and don'ts? Etc...

Any advice or comments greatly appreciated:) Thanks!!

Are you making a Trip up to Jacksonville to get the truck Dynoed with Torrie?
Im hoping to make a trip in a few weeks and get mine tuned on the dyno sprayin NOS

That would be great but my truck has not earned my trust for a trip that far yet lol.

My advice is trust no one but Chris Jensen. My first engine blew because of a shitty tune and a shitty dyno operator. No way that would ever happen with Chris.

^^LOL, little over reaction. Take it to a reputable shop to do the pulls. I would make sure fluid levels are good. I'm sure Torrie will do fine with the remote tuning.

My advice is trust no one but Chris Jensen. My first engine blew because of a shitty tune and a shitty dyno operator. No way that would ever happen with Chris.

What should I watch out for with the dyno operator? I thought that part was straight forward, get into the proper gear and lay on the throttle.

What should I watch out for with the dyno operator? I thought that part was straight forward, get into the proper gear and lay on the throttle.

It's more of a listening thing, IMO. A good operator can detect detonation and know when to get out of it, most don't recognize that and continue on the throttle when there is an obvious problem.

It is the hardest your engine will work! The load is constant throughout the pull. If something is not correct damage can be done. If you have made major changes to your engine,eg, compression changes, big cam , that sort of thing, the computer will not be able to adapt properly during closed loop. WOT pulls to set tuning is fine at WOT but in closed loop is just important! Don't get caught up with "the hp number". As long as it drives and runs as expected .

Do research on the shop/dyno operator you're taking it to. Are you going to the shop because it closest or because its known for there quality. What tune are you currently running? Ask Torrie to send a very safe tune (pulled timing,added fuel) for the first pull.

^^LOL, little over reaction. Take it to a reputable shop to do the pulls. I would make sure fluid levels are good. I'm sure Torrie will do fine with the remote tuning.

How can you say he is overreacting? Did you miss the part where they blew up his engine!?.

Do research on the shop/dyno operator you're taking it to. Are you going to the shop because it closest or because its known for there quality. What tune are you currently running? Ask Torrie to send a very safe tune (pulled timing,added fuel) for the first pull.

The dyno shop I'm taking it to is right across the street from my friends machine shop. Wish it was the closest but I just got AAA with towing just in case ;)

From what I understand, Torrie's base line tune is pretty safe and the truck seems to be running pretty good now.

Is it standard to do a steady rpm pull to simulate regular driving too?

After watching Chris work on six trucks over a period of two days I learnt a lot about a good dyno operator and a bad one.

If your operator puts your truck on the rollers and goes balls the walls, he doesn't know what he is doing.

Like I said before I would trust no one but him, especially after watching him work. He's amazing at what he does.

After watching Chris work on six trucks over a period of two days I learnt a lot about a good dyno operator and a bad one.

If your operator puts your truck on the rollers and goes balls the walls, he doesn't know what he is doing.

Like I said before I would trust no one but him, especially after watching him work. He's amazing at what he does.

We really pushed Chris to get all of the tuning completed in two days. But, there was no rushing him and he is truly a great tuner. We have heard of other shops' who have taken builds and blow them up on the dyno. Issues can happen, but if the operator does not back out at the first signs of trouble......boom.

How can you say he is overreacting? Did you miss the part where they blew up his engine!?.

To say Chris is the only person that can properly tune and to only trust him with these trucks is naive. I'm not saying go out and let any shop dyno tune your Viper truck, but there is a handful of tuners (viper/viper truck) that know what they're doing.

Is it standard to do a steady rpm pull to simulate regular driving too?

That's actually what will take more time than a WOT tune. That's why I don't do remote tuning with my tuner. I drive 5hrs to drop the vehicle off and then I tell him to call when he's done. That way he can take his time to make sure it's correct.

Certain dynos can also simulate better conditions that will be seen on the road (load). Just because the A/F reads 11.5 on the dyno doesn't mean it will be the same once it's on the road. A good tuner knows his dyno and will compensate accordingly.

Last edited:
When will you be dynoing the truck. I'm going to off this week, and don't live to far from you. Let me know.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back