Any news on Indy?

Kevan said:
Well, it's midnight and no call from the family yet. Then again, they don't know me from a stone in the street. I will try an afternoon visit tomorrow and hopefully catch the family. Visiting hours, esp. in the ICU, are really kooky- something like, 9AM-11AM, 2:18PM-4:34PM, 8PM-9:04PM. Odd.

As I was writing my note to the family at the nurse's station, I did a quick glance to my right and noticed Phil there in the large ICU room. He was asleep and looked like he was resting comfortably in those slick hospital PJ's. There were plenty of machines hooked up to him, all blinking and beeping a steady rhythm. I didn't notice anything extraordinary, but I only got a quick glimpse. I really didn't want to push my luck with the nurses and/or the family: "There was this creepy guy here earlier...".

I left my business card with my cell number circled (in red ink) and put "www.VTCOA.com" on the back.

I hope to meet up with the family sometime before he's transferred to Indianapolis.
Updates when I get news.

P.S.- I first went to the wrong hospital, and asked for "Phil Smith". Coincidentally, there *was* a Phil Smith at that hospital, and he'd been transferred the day before!
Not sure if it's some kind of sign, but both Phils were admitted to the two different hospitals on Friday. Weird.
Thanks for the update Kevan.

UPDATE!!!

I just spoke with Phil's mother, Mrs. Smith. She's extremely kind and was surprised to hear about the support and prayers the site has brought and sent to Phil. She said she was grateful for all of it.

Phil's condition is unchanged. He's still critical.
There is good news though- he's got movement in both his legs, and his right arm. His eyes are opening when he's not on medication.

His mom said that he does enjoy company, so I will make as many trips to the hospital to see him as I can. He recognizes friends and family and responds well to laughter. He also likes having the TV on.

The family is awaiting word from the doctors/hospital on when Phil can be transferred back to Indiana. They seem to be managing well, but it would be much easier if he was closer.

I'm heading to the hospital tonight to spend some time with him. I think I'll re-count some of the Nats stories. I've got plenty of those. :)

More updates as I get them.

Kevan.....time you spend now helping someone else will be rewarded many times over. It means alot to all of us here that you'll take the time to check on a fellow member and report back to us.......today Kev....make sure you tell Phil I ran in the 12's.....that ought to make him and everyone else have a chuckle !

Alright, that sounds more promising. I have heard that talking to coma patients can be really helpful. You could take your laptop and read these threads to him!!!! LOL

Your doing a great thing here Kevan. Myself and others are very thankful you are doing this. Mahalo brother.

patrick

Thanks Kevin, for your updates and your visits. It will undoubtedly help in his recovery. What you told us sounds very promising. Our prayers are with him...

Stretch

Kevan:rock: :rock: :rock: You rock thanks for the update :D My card is going out today....You're a good man Charlie Brown:burnout:

sounds a lot better than before thanks for doing this for all of us, tell him we are praying for him.

Phil, May God Bless you and your family today and everyday ...:rock:

The power of prayer ... how much horsepower does that have????????? :dontknow::D :rock:

Hey Kevan,

I do envy your position, being so close...and your diligence to be at Phil's side for ALL of us.

The update is very encouraging to this family.....

Thanks for all that you're doing and for the tremendous goodness which pushes you on.

Keep updating us (of course) and God bless you for everything you're doing.

Tim

I hope that when he does get transfered back home that a member of his family will keep us informed of his progress.

Stretch

Kevan said:
UPDATE!!!

I just spoke with Phil's mother, Mrs. Smith. She's extremely kind and was surprised to hear about the support and prayers the site has brought and sent to Phil. She said she was grateful for all of it.

Phil's condition is unchanged. He's still critical.
There is good news though- he's got movement in both his legs, and his right arm. His eyes are opening when he's not on medication.

His mom said that he does enjoy company, so I will make as many trips to the hospital to see him as I can. He recognizes friends and family and responds well to laughter. He also likes having the TV on.

The family is awaiting word from the doctors/hospital on when Phil can be transferred back to Indiana. They seem to be managing well, but it would be much easier if he was closer.

I'm heading to the hospital tonight to spend some time with him. I think I'll re-count some of the Nats stories. I've got plenty of those. :)

More updates as I get them.

Cool, Thanks Bro...It's certainly nice to have a local person there to check in on him.

Oddly....I just talked to Chip, Phils brother, confirmed the above.
Kevan...thanks for taking the time out of your day to make contact with the family. I feel a sense of completion now.

amoparman said:
I hope that when he does get transfered back home that a member of his family will keep us informed of his progress.

Stretch

Since Kevan has had contact with the family I imagine they will be more comfortable giving Kevan the transfer dates, better contact info, and address, ect.
When I talked to Chip, he said he would call me with changes, and that's great...but Kevan is there...so It will be great for Kevan to be our liaison.

Thanks Kevan

Last edited:
UPDATE
I'm back from visiting with Phil at the hospital. I think things went very well.

I arrived a little after 8PM as the nurses were doing their 'check-up' on Phil. It was kind of good timing, because I could see/hear what was going on. Of course, when they start with their lingo...."medial distal" and all that, I'm totally lost.

There were good, solid reactions in his feet when they checked them. He's in "booties" so his feet won't droop down as he's in the bed. There are also mini-g-force suits on his legs, to keep the blood flowing to the right areas. And, he's still got those sweet hospital PJ's on. :D High fashion, baby!

The abrasions on his forehead are starting to heal nicely. He might have a few scars to show off later (chicks dig scars). As Phil's brother said in the other thread, the pressure monitor has been removed from his head. This is a good thing. For some reason, I thought his head would be shaved, but they only trimmed a small spot for the pressure monitor. There are a few stitches there now.

He's in a bed that keeps him moving. It rolls him left to right, and inflates and deflates. I guess it's to prevent bed sores and blood from pooling in areas. It's a pretty kickass bed. It has more adjustments than the Patriot's defense.

You want machines? They got machines. Not a lot of horsepower, but there's some seriously tech gear there. Phil's numbers didn't change drastically while we were there, but I did notice some breathing and heart fluctuations while Rachel and I were talking with him. Nothing major, but enough for me to sense Phil was having some type of reaction to my voice or presence. For me, a non-medical person, it was encouraging to see the slight changes on the monitor.

The nurse told me, "Just speak to him as if he's a really good listener."

I told him a few of the basics of what went on at the Nats, and the latest from the forum, and that everything was being taken care of so he shouldn't worry at all. Even if I had a laptop (which I don't), I'm not sure they'd allow it in there with all the other machines they have running. It is the ICU after all. I'm going to re-read some of the threads tonight and refresh my memory for tomorrow.

Visiting hours were over, so we told Phil that I'd be back tomorrow afternoon and let him rest. On our way past the desk, I asked the nurse if she could turn on the TV for a little while. She said she'd watch a little with him. That made me feel a little better as we left.

Expect an update tomorrow PM.

NBT- feel free to call me anytime.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back