Aquarium Computer

I was thinking along the same lines as Silverback...you do need something to keep the oil circulating to maximize cooling but maybe the fan blades are enough...but there has to be a shortening of the life of the fan motor due to the resistance...

Prof said:
I was thinking along the same lines as Silverback...you do need something to keep the oil circulating to maximize cooling but maybe the fan blades are enough...but there has to be a shortening of the life of the fan motor due to the resistance...

We'll make an engineer our of you yet.;) :D

the bubbles will help circulate the oil somewhat, i would measure the temp of the oil after 24 hours of ops and then put another bubble bar in there and see what happens after another 24 hour time span....

Prof said:
Scott...do it...give us a DIY!
You know...

I just might!!!:rock:

BTW, I was reading a little more about this, and someone else mentioned the fan. They said that in a prolonged test, the fan did not fail any sooner than in a normal computer. Probably because, heat would be the biggest factor in its failure anyway, and the oil is convecting the heat away from the fan.

Cooooll!! :rock::rock::rock:

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/09/strip_out_the_fans/

Tom's Hardware did a similar build a while back, looks like didn't submerge their power supply though. Pretty damn interesting article, although I think the possibility of a catastrophic leak will keep me from ever trying it. I'm still a bit uncomfortable with the small liquid cooling system I have now.

They used an older single core AMD FX55 at 2.6 ghz, temp maxed out at 104F - 8 gallons of oil with no means of circulation. I'd like to a see how a newer dual or quad core overclocked would do with some kind of circulation or radiator system.

Last edited:
RatMotor said:
http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/01/09/strip_out_the_fans/

Tom's Hardware did a similar build a while back, looks like didn't submerge their power supply though. Pretty damn interesting article, although I think the possibility of a catastrophic leak will keep me from ever trying it. I'm still a bit uncomfortable with the small liquid cooling system I have now.

They used an older single core AMD FX55 at 2.6 ghz, temp maxed out at 104F - 8 gallons of oil with no means of circulation. I'd like to a see how a newer dual or quad core overclocked would do with some kind of circulation or radiator system.

Are you speaking english????:dontknow: ;) :D

Nope, Nerd-ish

No wonder I never had any friends in school, I'll go back to playing with my StarWars action figures now.;)

Silverback said:
Are you speaking english????:dontknow: ;) :D

I understood it... :eek: :p

Here is a liquid cool system that :rock:!

Will

Attachments

• 1197919160zQfBnJwdJn_1_8_l.jpg
    1197919160zQfBnJwdJn_1_8_l.jpg
    139.5 KB · Views: 16,767
Manic said:
Here is a liquid cool system that :rock:!

Will

Very clean, right now only my CPU is liquid cooled, and it's an external pump/reservoir/radiator. Next time I build a new comp I will go with an integrated system like that:rock:

The fans on my cpu are really noisy, have been from day one. This approach would certainly solve that issue..

Prof said:
The fans on my cpu are really noisy, have been from day one. This approach would certainly solve that issue..

There are some quiet fan solutions that reasonably priced Roy. Can't say you won't hear it, but it should drop the noise down considerably.

It would help to know which one but let me know if you would like to look into it for you.

Will

My pc was designed and built as a incredibly fast game desktop...alas that was three years ago so that tells you where it is today!

Probably time to get a new one...and relegate this one to a backup...

Can we morph this thread??? No I will look for input on a new thread...and let the geeks here guide me on my new game machine...

Here is the new thread:

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?p=387253#post387253

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back