Audio setup thoughts?

harrisb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So guys, I've decided to swap out the factory crap stereo as I got a pretty good deal on some higher end JL Audio equipment. JL seems to be a brand that you either love or hate so let me know what you think. Truck is an RC.

It will be comprised of the following:
JL 10"W7 sub in a custom box
JL 500/1 mono amp powering the sub
JL ZR650-CSI component speaker for doors and dash
JL 300/2 powering the components

Sticking with the stock deck. The only item I haven't purchased is the amp for the components so it may change. I just figured that with everything else being JL I may as well make it all match.

In case you folks are wondering, I'll end up with the whole setup, installed in a custom box for around $1200cdn. The sub and amp also comes with a 1 farad cap that I don't believe I will need (thoughts?). Should sound incredible and beats spending $500 with the stealership to replace my blown amp.

Do not use the cap. It is useless. Best thing to do is upgrade your battery. Much better for the audio system. Caps give instantaneous power, you need constant power.

Should sound awesome, I had 2 12" JL W7's in my golf, before I went louder.

sorry but i have to ask what is a cap and its "purpose"?

5_0_BAIT said:
Do not use the cap. It is useless. Best thing to do is upgrade your battery. Much better for the audio system. Caps give instantaneous power, you need constant power.

Should sound awesome, I had 2 12" JL W7's in my golf, before I went louder.

A cap is a capacitor. It stores "energy" or power until discharged. All it does is instantly release electricity to feed amps (or whatever) the current they need for a burst of current.

Basically, unless you have a crap load of them, they are just car audio gimmicks IMO.

thanks! good to know, i always thought that you need it them when you had more than one amp.

harrisb said:
So guys, I've decided to swap out the factory crap stereo as I got a pretty good deal on some higher end JL Audio equipment. JL seems to be a brand that you either love or hate so let me know what you think. Truck is an RC.

It will be comprised of the following:
JL 10"W7 sub in a custom box
JL 500/1 mono amp powering the sub
JL ZR650-CSI component speaker for doors and dash
JL 300/2 powering the components

Sticking with the stock deck. The only item I haven't purchased is the amp for the components so it may change. I just figured that with everything else being JL I may as well make it all match.

In case you folks are wondering, I'll end up with the whole setup, installed in a custom box for around $1200cdn. The sub and amp also comes with a 1 farad cap that I don't believe I will need (thoughts?). Should sound incredible and beats spending $500 with the stealership to replace my blown amp.
seems to me, if you're going to go that far, ya might as well replace the radio too....... :dontknow:

should sound good either way. :)

moparracing said:
seems to me, if you're going to go that far, ya might as well replace the radio too....... :dontknow:

should sound good either way. :)

Thanks for the feedback guys, didn't want to spend another 1K on the deck I wanted hence the reason I am staying stock for now. I've decided to build an entire amp rack and enclosure behind the seats. The sub will be behind the passenger seat with the amps displayed where the stock sub is now. I considered mounting the sub upside down in a custom box where the stock sub is but am a little concerned with clearance for my console (also don't want it getting smacked if I try to throw something behind the seat). I don't think I could display the amps and make them look quite as "trick" with that setup either. When I get it all built I'll post up some pics.

Now, if I can find a good deal on a nice deck with Nav, Bluetooth and iPod connection that will obviously be next.

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated.

5_0_BAIT said:
:dito: :dito: :dito:
Frank have you heard of the Interstate Megatron battery or something like that?
I heard its the best battery for a demanding audio system....even better than all the Optima's:dontknow:

I have toyed with the idea of going with the Kicker OEM setup but I haven't gotten over the Sticker Shock for them yet... :)

My headlights dimmed a little with no cap in line. I added a 1 Farad Cap and the dimming went away and the sound was better. I have used caps my entire car audio life with great results.

I replaced all six speakers with some Boston Accoustics and what a difference it made. Unplugging the center dash speaker was key also.
Why dodge put that in there I dont know. It just ruins all stereo seperation.

patrick

eddie102870 said:
woah!!! a frank the tank sighting...lol

What you trying to say??? I ain't on here enough!!! My wife swears I am here all the D!@n time LOL

Cablefed, everyone setup is different but I have never had a capacitor that "helped" a system MORE THAN a battery. But a battery ALWAYS outperforms a capacitor.

Why you ask??? (stop reading if you could care less)

Okay first a cap is used for instantaneous power. Not constant power. So if you amplifier uses that power, lets say on a hard hitting note, then what happens? It has to charge. How does it charge? By getting power from the alternator, battery, and THE AMP!!!! The capacitor does not care where the power is, it uses anything in the system to charge itself back up to discharge again. That is how they work. So if I have say.....2 batteries......and you have a 25 Farad cap (I use to have a 50 Farad cap till I learned this) guess what happens? My system will run at a constant voltage throughout while yours will continually fluctuate up and down (drastically) thus my system (if exactly the same, except for the cap) will outperform yours hands down.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back