Auto install in 04RC

all i know is i've ridden in an 04 with a 48RE with a standalone trans controller... that was the biggest expense.

if i'm not mistaken, you can extend the wires on the crank pickup sensor and move it to where the 05's and 06's are - that's fairly simple.

i had a local guy find an SRT 48RE (which may be identical to the diesel trans, i'm not sure) for $300 - so they can be found for cheap. if you have the 48RE and the trans controller wires, you have to add 3 wires into the RC harness to make it run, but it'll work.

the guy that bought my motor from my 05 RC put it in an 05QC that was a theft recovery and they took the motor and trans and harness. the 48RE bolts to the RC block if you remove the dowel pin, as i understand. so he added the trans controller wires to my RC harness and used an 05 QC PCM and everything works flawless.

as a side note, as much as i hate a slushbox, that 04 RC was putting out about 600wheel through a 48RE and it was a fun truck...

hope that helps...

all i know is i've ridden in an 04 with a 48RE with a standalone trans controller... that was the biggest expense.

if i'm not mistaken, you can extend the wires on the crank pickup sensor and move it to where the 05's and 06's are - that's fairly simple.

i had a local guy find an SRT 48RE (which may be identical to the diesel trans, i'm not sure) for $300 - so they can be found for cheap. if you have the 48RE and the trans controller wires, you have to add 3 wires into the RC harness to make it run, but it'll work.

the guy that bought my motor from my 05 RC put it in an 05QC that was a theft recovery and they took the motor and trans and harness. the 48RE bolts to the RC block if you remove the dowel pin, as i understand. so he added the trans controller wires to my RC harness and used an 05 QC PCM and everything works flawless.

as a side note, as much as i hate a slushbox, that 04 RC was putting out about 600wheel through a 48RE and it was a fun truck...

hope that helps...

Wonder if you could use a qc pcm in a R/C with the auto .

So as I understand it it would be easier to convert an 05/06 and if went the TCI 6speed route that comes with all wiring and control unit all would need to do really is get prop shaft made to suit between gearbox and diff any recommendations for workshop/vendors that would take this on before I exported truck to the uk? Would it be worth a state side visit to get the ball rolling or should I try finding QC in uk?

So as I understand it it would be easier to convert an 05/06 and if went the TCI 6speed route that comes with all wiring and control unit all would need to do really is get prop shaft made to suit between gearbox and diff any recommendations for workshop/vendors that would take this on before I exported truck to the uk? Would it be worth a state side visit to get the ball rolling or should I try finding QC in uk?

I would recommend calling one of the vendors that has installed an automatic in a RC (JMB Performance or JTSVP). They will be able to tell you exactly what is required.

Well at least some information seems to be accumulating.
Viperhauler, I am very interested in finding out more about the 05/06 crank trigger location and possible use. I thought it was in the center of the block-pass. side and read off the crank. I didn't think it would work on the 04 engine.
I knew removing the dowel was a possibility, but saw some information relating to rapid converter/pump assemblies if there was ANY misalignment of the trans/eng mating . Down the thousands of an inch.
I have acquired supposedly an early QC PCM from a local individual who upgraded his. We got the Engine/trans harness with the 48RE we purchased.
The flex plate has been a problem matching to the crankshaft. Would like to get one suitable for the track anyway, so not to worried about an OEM part.
Justin only has Chevy trans adapters, so he could not help.
I emailed JTS, waiting for reply, he gets pretty busy.

dandruc been out a couple days, but got the email, I will respond to it tomorrow, it will be quite lengthy, but figured that way will be a touch better than calling, I wil email you everything,then look over it , and give me a shout sir

Hey Tony,
If you don't mind, maybe you could highlight the install parts and/or process to do the conversion and I could post it on here for everyone?
Bearing in mind this is still a 10 year old platform now, it would be nice to have these options out there where it's easily searchable.
You could either send me the bullet points and I'll make it a sticky, or
put it in your Vendor section... Either way I think there could be some benefit down the road.
Let me know what you think...

No viper truck that I can recall has a TCI conversion (Batram's might but I'm thinking it was another brand)...
Needless to say, you might be breaking new ground here, and that could either go great, or HORRIBLY wrong very quicky...
I would stick to a setup that's been done before...personally...

Thanks for the input sorry to have hijacked the thread love the idea of the 6speed auto will start looking into it seriously a few weeks before head out to the land of the free planning my route and holiday at the mo Texas is in the plan as well as the usual vagas Hoover dam and such like any other must sees you guys can in put would be great we are planning on a month travelling around with stop off in various places

dandruc been out a couple days, but got the email, I will respond to it tomorrow, it will be quite lengthy, but figured that way will be a touch better than calling, I wil email you everything,then look over it , and give me a shout sir

Thanks Tony, Not in a huge hurry, it has been a while in the making for sure, but it would be nice to sort out the needed info. Then we could gather the parts and get it done.
My son does have a Supercharger on the truck and BB headers.
Thanks Dan

Thanks Tony, Not in a huge hurry, it has been a while in the making for sure, but it would be nice to sort out the needed info. Then we could gather the parts and get it done.
My son does have a Supercharger on the truck and BB headers.
Thanks Dan

on the 04 its going to be a mess, not easy, not cheap, a couple things that hold you back, it will all be in the email boss

No viper truck that I can recall has a TCI conversion (Batram's might but I'm thinking it was another brand)...
Needless to say, you might be breaking new ground here, and that could either go great, or HORRIBLY wrong very quicky...
I would stick to a setup that's been done before...personally...

False. Mickey has the TCI 6 speed in his truck.

Still trying to follow a couple other thoughts, waiting for Tony to check with his machinists about the flexplate.
I may have to find an 04 flywheel to use as a template if we don't want to remove ours. Anybody got a worn out one, they have not yet discarded and replaced? Here are a few photos of when it was out, with the part # shown.
Also shown is the flexplate difference from the crank mount point. This is the flexplate I got with the 48RE we bought from Texas, supposedly from an 05/06 QC, guy only wanted the engine.The part # is shown on this also, maybe someone can readily confirm or cast doubt on the correctness of the flexplate we have.

Attachments

• jag 027.JPG
    jag 027.JPG
    678.5 KB · Views: 36
  • jag 028.JPG
    jag 028.JPG
    722.6 KB · Views: 33
  • jag 034.JPG
    jag 034.JPG
    687.3 KB · Views: 36
  • jag 029.JPG
    jag 029.JPG
    685.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Nobody has a stock 04 RC flywheel not being used? I need to have a sample for the machinists to build a flexplate, don't want to lay up our truck prematurely.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back