B&M worth the chedda'?

srtaggie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my truck is supposed to be finished tomorrow. In case anyone didn't hear or doesn't remember, I was panicking last week because the dealer told me I needed a new oil pan and that I was going to have to pay for it...blah, blah, blah.

In the meantime, I've been buying parts for her while she is getting fixed up. I've got new pads from Zeckhausen on the way as well as some good brake fluid.

I'm really debating whether getting a new B&M shifter is worth the $250. I can tell for the most part that everyone is very happy with theirs, but are their any peeps out there that are pretty indifferent with it?

Yes

without a doubt worth the $...was my first mod

Yes a shifter upgrade is worth the money. You might want to check out what Boomer has now. I think its the Gen 10. On sale right now.

sleeper said:
Yes a shifter upgrade is worth the money. You might want to check out what Boomer has now. I think its the Gen 10. On sale right now.

I've thought about his shifter but it doesn't seem to justify the extra cost and wait to get one. Plus it is supposed to be a little bit louder than the b&m.

I'd like to have a shifter by this weekend and it seems like its two weeks to get anything from x-metal.

srtaggie said:
I'm really debating whether getting a new B&M shifter is worth the $250. I can tell for the most part that everyone is very happy with theirs, but are their any peeps out there that are pretty indifferent with it?

The B&M is an improvement over stock. But can still miss 3rd if your not paying attention.

If you don't mind the chatter from the shifter, cause it could get a little annoying at times. The money is well worth not missing third.

If you miss the 2-3 shift alot then you should think about changing shifters.

It doesn't effect everybody.

earl lee said:
If you miss the 2-3 shift alot then you should think about changing shifters.

It doesn't effect everybody.

I agree, I very rarely miss 3rd gear. I couldn't pass on the xmetal gen10 either though.

TheMoparConnection said:
i love the b&m.. havent missed 3rd at all.
I hadn't had a problem hitting third until this weekend at the track. Don't know if it had something to due with shifting at redline or what???? Gonna have to work on it. It was only on my third run and everything else was going so smoothly. I left Bill sleeping at the light but knew he was pouring on the nitrous to make up the gap.:rock: Maybe I was too concerned about him and not what I was doing. Have to work on it.

I think I'm going to go ahead and get it.:burnout:

If it wasn't something that I interfaced with everyday I don't think I would be that concerned. But, I want this truck to be as fun to drive as possible.

srtaggie said:
I've thought about his shifter but it doesn't seem to justify the extra cost and wait to get one. Plus it is supposed to be a little bit louder than the b&m.

I'd like to have a shifter by this weekend and it seems like its two weeks to get anything from x-metal.
i feel ya. we are trying to keep them in stock and on the shelf, we just sold our last batch from sale we ran as of yesterday.
i will have more to ship next week, and if you order now, i will pay the 2 day air freight, but only charge you for ground. we will have more done by next wednesday, and you can have by next weekend

Comparing a B&M to an X-Metal shifter is like comparing a HEMI to an SRT.Why settle for less than the best ?If I were worried about the money,I wouldn't have bought an SRT,so I don't worry about buying the best for my ride.Kinda like the Preferance commercial,Because my truck is worth it.:D

Get the X-Metal.Your patience will be highly rewarded ! :D

HOT RAM said:
Comparing a B&M to an X-Metal shifter is like comparing a HEMI to an SRT.Why settle for less than the best ?If I were worried about the money,I wouldn't have bought an SRT,so I don't worry about buying the best for my ride.Kinda like the Preferance commercial,Because my truck is worth it.:D

Get the X-Metal.Your patience will be highly rewarded ! :D
Some of us less fortunate people were just lucky enough to be able to buy one of these trucks, So getting into mods is sometimes difficult. But what you are saying is maybe we should not have this truck if we can not keep up with the Jones. I do not usually get into this kind of conversation, But could not help myself on this point. I love my truck, And will do what i can, When i can as far as mods are concerned. Do we not have enough people selling there rides?

J.R.

JRSVIPR said:
Some of us less fortunate people were just lucky enough to be able to buy one of these trucks, So getting into mods is sometimes difficult. But what you are saying is maybe we should not have this truck if we can not keep up with the Jones. I do not usually get into this kind of conversation, But could not help myself on this point. I love my truck, And will do what i can, When i can as far as mods are concerned. Do we not have enough people selling there rides?

J.R.

I kinda see what your saying but I really don't feel that way. I'm sure the X-metal is a great piece but I think its a point of deminishing returns. I think I'll take the extra $150-200 and buy a catch can or put it towards a slave/clutch upgrade.

I will say that I'm glad I found this place. There is a wealth of knowledge (whether you agree with it or not) and everybody shares the common interest of making their trucks as sweet/fast as possible.

srtaggie said:
I kinda see what your saying but I really don't feel that way. I'm sure the X-metal is a great piece but I think its a point of deminishing returns. I think I'll take the extra $150-200 and buy a catch can or put it towards a slave/clutch upgrade.

I will say that I'm glad I found this place. There is a wealth of knowledge (whether you agree with it or not) and everybody shares the common interest of making their trucks as sweet/fast as possible.
This is not about X-Metal or any other vendor. Some of us wanted one of these trucks so bad we stuck our necks out a little to get it. Ever been there? Yeah it is tight some times, But i have my dream. Yes this is the best place to find out about, And get info on mods.Some just have to go a little slower for awhile, But we are still here.

J.R.

Def worth it. Shorter throw is nice... Black upper assembly... Nice...

Cheap.... Nicer... :D

The B&M is a great shifter. No doubt in my mind that Boomers is a much higher quality and better overall product. But I think Patrick made the point that for everyday driving, the B&M is the better shifter. I personally have not used Boomers, but when I get a windfall of cash, I will know. :D

Last edited:
B&M Short throw

I just installed mine last friday and love it! Throws are shorter and more accutate. I only missed 3rd when I hadn't driven my truck in a while (daily driver is a stick too - opposite end of the spectrum), but after I replaced stock, there is no way that I'll miss. I went to the road course on friday and it worked like a champ. I do believe that Boomer makes great products too - whichever one you want - get it a start rippin!:D

This debate has been on since .... well shit...... almost since God invented hair...

I don't believe there should be a stigma attached to anyone for the specific choice they make in a fkn shifter.... Some may get a bit hinky because they're having to be more cash conscious than others.... There's no shame involved here.... This class consciousness is more than a bit distasteful to me.

I came from humble beginnings and understand that sometimes we buy an SRT-10 truck even when it's a bit more than we should'a spent.... But who's gonna diss a brother for that....

If you can go 2-3 with a B&M without missing a shift...... Or if you wanna get the X-metal unit and the noise be damned... It's all good.

Life's full'a choices ...This is just one of 'em......... I mean, Sweet Lord Jesus...!! We aren't talking about a fkn abortion, here.......

D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back