battery question

lukedovichak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey dudes. So I think I may have over charged my battery on the ram. Is it possible to add acid and water or am I better off to buy a new one? If I have to buy a new one what would you guys recommend? Does the engine heat harm these batteries? Should I look at a rear mount or is that stupid?

Thx for reading ;)

They come with maintenance free batteries. Don't add or try and prop the cover off. Batteries is a choice of preference.

Hey dudes. So I think I may have over charged my battery on the ram. Is it possible to add acid and water or am I better off to buy a new one? If I have to buy a new one what would you guys recommend? Does the engine heat harm these batteries? Should I look at a rear mount or is that stupid?

Thx for reading ;)

How did you over charge it? Maintenance free batteries are sealed, so basically if it is done recycle it and get a new one. I have had the stock battery in mine since new. I use a battery tender in winter and that's it. Some folks use Optima batteries, they must be good. JMB has a battery relocation kit. The main advantage is to get more weight to the rear of the truck.

Odyssey if you want the best out there, very $$$$$$$ though.

They come with maintenance free batteries. Don't add or try and prop the cover off. Batteries is a choice of preference.

On my 04 oem battery, I've poped the cover off twice and had to add distilled water.
I charge it twice over each winter during storage. Battery still good.:dontknow:

Last edited:
Optima yellowtop. You could probably get away with a red top if you aren't running a high end stereo or electronics, but the yellow tops are more preferable for SUV's/trucks.

How did you over charge it? Maintenance free batteries are sealed, so basically if it is done recycle it and get a new one. I have had the stock battery in mine since new. I use a battery tender in winter and that's it. Some folks use Optima batteries, they must be good. JMB has a battery relocation kit. The main advantage is to get more weight to the rear of the truck.

i left a charger on quick charge and the timer was counting down for 1 hour, i was out for super then came home to a stinky hot battery with the timer stuck on it. Then i found acid ontop of the battery.

I will look into the yellow tops. Thx guys, all the helps greatly appreciated.

Optimas are garbage, I dont recommend them. They used to be good quality but in the last couple years the quality has gone down hill big time.

Go to yellowbullet.com and do a search of Optima Batteries.

Overcharging can cause damage to batteries but can also restore some undercharging issues. I would take the battery to an automotive store and ask to have it load tested. Most places do this for free.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back