Battery Relocation feedback

DESRT10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am considering the battery relocation kit to move some weight to back. Justin's kit looks like an easy move, but it wouldn't be too hard to put any of the boxes Summit offers out back in the bed or ???

I wanted to get feedback on how well the engine cranks or any other issues you might have had or solved with relocating the battery out back.

Thanx

I have had this rear kit for 3 yrs and not one issue. Cranks just as good as it did before.............I am planning on moving the battery to the bed.

My concern with the battery being behind the wheel well is that if I had a problem with the battery on the road and needed to change the battery it would be a bitch removing the tire and wheel well...

TNVIPER said:
I have had this rear kit for 3 yrs and not one issue. Cranks just as good as it did before.............I am planning on moving the battery to the bed.

My concern with the battery being behind the wheel well is that if I had a problem with the battery on the road and needed to change the battery it would be a bitch removing the tire and wheel well...

mounted mine in the bed so far works good:)

TNVIPER said:

do you want to sell your kit to me then when you do swap over. Did you mount it in front of the wheel on the left side, or somewhere else. I was thinking it might fit behind the wheel there too.

DESRT10 said:
do you want to sell your kit to me then when you do swap over. Did you mount it in front of the wheel on the left side, or somewhere else. I was thinking it might fit behind the wheel there too.

The kit mounts the battery behind the left rear tire...I am going to move the battery tray to the bed....will still use the parts so no to selling..;)

I moved mine using the JMB kit but had hesitation upon starting, had several different pro sparky's look at it, 2 batteries tried, alternator was mint and charging, grounds couldn't have been better, asked all the questions and scratched heads here (see link below with video) but it still hesitated. Sooooo annoying. So I moved it back to the front, nothing else changed, straight back and PERFECT. Couldn't be happier (I just customized the battery, looks like it should be there).

Makes life easier too when working on your ride disconnecting the battery, maintenance etc plus moving the dang battery from the back in and out that many times I was happy to get the damn thing out of there! The hesitation wouldn't have caused any major damaged from what I could tell, maybe some long term starter issues but no proof of that. Others put up with the hesitate starts, I couldn't, I'm picky. To each their own but fact for me was it wasn't what I wanted and I know others in the thread below had similar issues. On the other hand, others seemed very happy so it's up to you. Good luck.

http://www.vtcoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41376&highlight=battery+hesitation

TheBatramC15.jpg

Last edited:
I have the same issue as Carl, slow cranking and also alternator doesnt put out the same as before on the gauge in the dash.

I didnt use Justins wiring, I made my own harness and possibly that maybe the issue. I was going to look at it this winter when there is snow on the ground.

I also agree that servicing the battery when behind the tire is a beatch, especially if you have a lowered truck.

Seems some have had issues but I get no hesitation on start and never had a problem...battery is 53 months old based on build date.........

Guys;

Keep in mind that the Charging System for the battery relies on the BTS (Battery Temp. Sensor) to determine charge rate. W/O relocating this sensor which is under the battery in the tray, you can over charge and damage your battery prematurely. This is possibly the cause of some of the relocating issues out there.

See Chapter 8F page 42 in the OE service manual.

Cheers!

Psycho1122 said:
Guys;

Keep in mind that the Charging System for the battery relies on the BTS (Battery Temp. Sensor) to determine charge rate. W/O relocating this sensor which is under the battery in the tray, you can over charge and damage your battery prematurely. This is possibly the cause of some of the relocating issues out there.

See Chapter 8F page 42 in the OE service manual.

Cheers!

Didnt move my sensors...no issues in over 3 years....hmmmmm:dontknow:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back