BBK Throttle Body

topfueljim

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know there have been hundreds of posts about throttle bodies, but a few weeks ago I put a BBK on my truck, and I wanted to put my 2 cents in.

I had not done this before because I thought it was a lot of money for no noticeable benefit. I was frankly very surprised when I noticed an immediate change. The throttle seems more responsive and my SOP dyno tells me that there is a minor, but definite power increase (measured by my increased lack of traction through the same gears, at the same speeds, and on the same roads as before). Also more noticeable power curve at 3500+.

I'm not going to bother with a dyno run right now. I just did that few months ago for informational purposes, and to test some changes made since I had it on a dyno right after I got it.

I only have minor easy-to-bolt-on mods: Gibson shorty headers, Magnaflow cat back, drop in K&N, JTSVP 20% underdrive pulley, and the IAT resistor mod. And now the BBK, which I am very pleased with. It looks nice, too.

That's great to hear!

I know there have been hundreds of posts about throttle bodies, but a few weeks ago I put a BBK on my truck, and I wanted to put my 2 cents in.

I had not done this before because I thought it was a lot of money for no noticeable benefit. I was frankly very surprised when I noticed an immediate change. The throttle seems more responsive and my SOP dyno tells me that there is a minor, but definite power increase (measured by my increased lack of traction through the same gears, at the same speeds, and on the same roads as before). Also more noticeable power curve at 3500+.

I'm not going to bother with a dyno run right now. I just did that few months ago for informational purposes, and to test some changes made since I had it on a dyno right after I got it.

I only have minor easy-to-bolt-on mods: Gibson shorty headers, Magnaflow cat back, drop in K&N, JTSVP 20% underdrive pulley, and the IAT resistor mod. And now the BBK, which I am very pleased with. It looks nice, too.
What is the IAT resistor mod? I am wanting to get a throttle body soon and I was thinking of going with JTSVP. What is the size of the BBK? Good to know they put out some noticeable power

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

There was a Group Buy a few years ago on these by Cherry Performance. May want to check with them if they have them in stock.

BBK : '1776'

intake air temperature mod, in the old days it was used to make the computer think that the incoming air was colder (denser) so the computer would allow more timing and/or fuel, no i don't know all the details just an over view. My understanding is that newer faster computers use more than just the IAT reading to modify the boom mixture so I'm not thinking that it will work nowadays, but a computer from 10 years ago that I've heard is slow even for its time, maybe

maybe its a cheaper way to mod than the spend SCT/Diablo/SuperChips systems?? someone into programming and reading fuel curve graphs would be able to tell whats what

The BBK is the same price everywhere apparently, even at their plant, which isn't that far from me. It is also a simple bolt on change, take old one off, put new one on.

The IAT tends to pull a lot of timing if the intake air is too warm. My last dyno session it made about a 40hp difference between the first pull, when hot after driving and then sitting with the hood closed for a while. Let it cool off and tried it again, much better. I did the resistor mod after that.

The BBK is the same price everywhere apparently, even at their plant, which isn't that far from me. It is also a simple bolt on change, take old one off, put new one on.

The IAT tends to pull a lot of timing if the intake air is too warm. My last dyno session it made about a 40hp difference between the first pull, when hot after driving and then sitting with the hood closed for a while. Let it cool off and tried it again, much better. I did the resistor mod after that.

documented improvements are definitely great, now who sells that AIT mod???

Cuda, I had a BBK on my truck for several years and loved it. The tip-in throttle response is vastly improved over stock. I had something go wrong with the BBK last summer, did a roadside bodge job with a new Viper BBK and drove home and installed the stock TB. I would replace the BBK in a heartbeat, but the truck is in storage until spring, so no rush. With the JTSVP, I understand that you have to dis-assemble the stock TB to use the blades.

As far as modding the IAT......I would look elsewhere to pick up some power.

im assuming the having a SCT would cover an AIT mod
have read claims of 70-80 HP from reflashing factory PCM but only 30-35 HP from installing SCT. i would of thought the SCT could cover everything the factory PCM would do, is that not so??

If what oldcolt is saying is true about disassembling the stock TB to reuse the blades, is it still worth it over the BBK?

I think Tony's comes with a nitrous port also, so not bad if you are going that route. I seem to remember a thread about someone having trouble with getting the stock shaft out of their TB or something??

i just re-read that, obviously a cooler inlet improves HP but did you document that even with the truck hot that the AIT mod maintained the 40HP improvement???

I think Tony's comes with a nitrous port also, so not bad if you are going that route. I seem to remember a thread about someone having trouble with getting the stock shaft out of their TB or something??

I would prefer something that is just bolt on and go. But if Tony's is really that much better I don't mind the extra work.

i'm using V1R TB, single blade, you have to re-use the rod for the new blade, simple process even for the mechanically challenged like me:D

im assuming the having a SCT would cover an AIT mod
have read claims of 70-80 HP from reflashing factory PCM but only 30-35 HP from installing SCT. i would of thought the SCT could cover everything the factory PCM would do, is that not so??

To better explain my IAT comment, I would trust the mapping provided by Chris or Torrie, via an SCT downloaded tune. They are the two most qualified Viper tuners that I know of.:)

To better explain my IAT comment, I would trust the mapping provided by Chris or Torrie, via an SCT downloaded tune. They are the two most qualified Viper tuners that I know of.:)

right, just curious about that 40 HP for someone who may not be able to afford a SCT or factory PCM re-flash.

what are your thoughts on those claims i've seen stated?? 70-80 seems excessive for the same price as the SCT delivers. i never got around to dynoing mine before or since my mods to verify anything. i know it improved my numbers but i don't know how much, i have so much wheel spin now that i'm actually going slower in the 1/4 than faster.

are you HP/TQ numbers just an SCT or with mods? and if modded, what mods??

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back