best all around performance CAR under 50K

Dave T(BADVENM)

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I'm starting to get into the high performance driving thing (HPDE) as well as drag racing/cruizing and car shows. I'd like to get something that could be either a 2 or 4 seater as a coupe with a 5 or 6 spd, perform at both drag/road race venues with a simple switch of tires/upgraded brake pads and also be something that you dont see everyday at a local car show. Mods are ok as long as the total price for everything including the car is say $50,000 or under.

Fuel mileage is not a concern. So, buy something less then 50K and mod it til you hit 50K or something off the showroom floor for 50K and run it/show it as is.

I have a few ideas which I'll share later but I thought I'd get your thoughts.

Last edited:
Dave T(BADVENM) said:
So I'm starting to get into the high performance driving thing (HPDE) as well as drag racing/cruizing and car shows. I'd like to get something that could be either a 2 or 4 seater as a coupe with a 5 or 6 spd, perform at both drag/road race venues with a simple switch of tires/upgraded brake pads and also be something that you dont see everyday at a local car show. Mods are ok as long as the total price for everything including the car is say $50,000 or under.

Fuel mileage is not a concern. So, buy something less then 50K and mod it til you hit 50K or something off the showroom floor for 50K and run it/show it as is.

I have a few ideas which I'll share later but I thought I'd get your thoughts.
I'd go for the Charger SRT8 (are they under $50K?) if it had a real manual transmission. As per Dodge (http://www.dodge.com/autoshow/news/charger_srt8.html) it has this:
"Power for the SRT 6.1-liter HEMI is channeled through an A580 five-speed automatic transmission with specially calibrated driver-selectable AutoStick®, which offers fully automatic or manual shifting selection. A heavy-duty four-flange prop shaft sends the torque from the transmission to an upgraded differential and axles. "
A "spirited" test drive might tell the tale. :D

I was thinking the the same one V10, but the 4 door/auto knocked that one out of contention...

How about the Corvette Dave? Sorry, I am not familar with American pricing...

Will

I love the Lotus Elise\Exige models. Elise starts at $43k, Exige(same engine, better suspension, aerodynamics) goes for $50k. You dont' see many around, and they will absolutely rule over any roadcourse or autocross. Not built as a dragster, but still pretty quick due to power to weight ratio - 1900lbs\190hp. Lotus claims 4.7sec 0-60.

Attachments

• 2004-Lotus-Exige-Side-Speed-1280x960.jpg
    2004-Lotus-Exige-Side-Speed-1280x960.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 1,019
RatMotor said:
I love the Lotus Elise\Exige models. Elise starts at $43k, Exige(same engine, better suspension, aerodynamics) goes for $50k. You dont' see many around, and they will absolutely rule over any roadcourse or autocross. Not built as a dragster, but still pretty quick due to power to weight ratio - 1900lbs\190hp. Lotus claims 4.7sec 0-60.

Those are pretty sweet, Rat. :rock: They can be found USED at a reasonable price as well... One thing to remember the Elise is street legal... The Exige is NOT. ;) Lotus Motorsports is very easy to deal with as well. The dealerships are top-notch.

I saw an Exige on the road a few weeks back, not sure if had a plate though:dontknow:

New Beemer M Coupe\Roadster is quick as hell and starts at 50, if the styling is to your likeing.

Attachments

• MCoupe.JPG
    MCoupe.JPG
    157.1 KB · Views: 288
RatMotor said:
I saw an Exige on the road a few weeks back, not sure if had a plate though:dontknow:

New Beemer M Coupe\Roadster is quick as hell and starts at 50, if the styling is to your likeing.

Ooohh.... The 02-03 (330HP) M Coupes were MONSTERS. They didn't make many of them. The used ones still go for around $40k+, but you can drive it to the track... Kick everyone's ASS.... And drive it home. :rock: I had a 2002 M Roadster, and it freakin ROCKED! :rock: It was just too small for a everyday driver. :(

RatMotor said:

Are you sure it wasn't a "heavily optioned" Elise w/ an Exige emblem? :dontknow: They are not street legal....

The new ones are the same S54 motor, just in the Z4 platform. The Z3Ms are probably just as fast, but the Z4 feels like a much better put together car. Not any bigger though - even my short ass(5'8") has trouble getting in\out with the top up.

I guess it doesn't say street legal anywhere there, but it says full factory warranty, and it has dealer plates on it? Not sure why the Exige wouldn't be street-legal. Looks like the engine, lighting, and safety equipment is the same as the Elise?

Either way, I'm in love.

I'm going to assume you want a brand new car, as usually you don't want to buy a performance car used (way too easy to get a very thrashed car).

The 425hp SRT-8 of any variety (300, Magnum, Charger, Jeep GC) gets my vote. I like the manual auto trans myself, despite the manual purist's scorn.

I'm pretty keen on Pontiac's 400hp GTO mated to a 6-speed manual. Especially in yellow/black! Probably my second favorite to the SRT-8s.

The 330hp SRT-6 Crossfire roadster or coupe is a beautiful ride also. Same manual auto as the aforementioned SRTs.

The top-model Caddilac CTS V @469hp is probably a little higher than $50k price limit, as is likely their XLR convertible, but VERY nice rides nonetheless!

The new 400hp Corvette's can still be had for around $50k all the way up to a convertible LT3. The 500hp Z06 will be out of your price range tho, as would a Viper.

The Chevy Monte Carlo SS is a bit more tame than I'd like @300hp and auto only, but still plenty fast enough and a beautiful ride.

For near $30k range you can still get a somewhat tame 300HP Ford Mustang GT convertible - not bad at all. Seems like everbody has one, so you won't be very unique.
However, for about $40-45k and you can get Ford's awesome Shelby GT500 convertble with an incredible 500hp. You listening Dodge?! Bring that damn Viper price down!

I really like the looks of the new Pontiac Solstice and Saturn Sky roadsters, but they seem a bit underpowered at 260hp in GXP/Redline trim. You'll want to add a turbo or SC. Very fun looking cars tho.

I'd say a C6 with Auto trans and paddle shifter setup. I'm sorry but an SRT8 charger just doesn't compare. And with the Vette you'll get 30 mpg highway and won't get hit with the guzzler tax.

RatMotor said:

I'm sorry Rat... I didn't know they started making a US version this year. :dontknow: You used to have to order the Exige special (it was strickly a European version, or Exige R.) and they were not legal to drive here in the States. Sorry, I stand corrected. ;) Too bad they don't offer the Supercharged 1.8vvt-i 243HP motor in the American version. :(

ChristopherSRT10 said:
I'd say a C6 with Auto trans and paddle shifter setup. I'm sorry but an SRT8 charger just doesn't compare. And with the Vette you'll get 30 mpg highway and won't get hit with the guzzler tax.
Absolutely - GM is kicking azz on the MPG ratings. Good point!

I'd love to find a GT500 for less than 50k right now. That's just not going to happen. The mark up is unbelieveable.

no doubt about its the mitsubishi evolution MR , these are like 30K and all you need is 10-15K and it will blow the doors of 911s ,vettes , vipers on and off track
standard its fast and very good handling . 500 whp is pretty easy in these cars , and believe me 500whp is alot in these light cars

all you need is you contact www.amsperformance.com

What about going the classic car route ? There are suspension and brake swap out kits for most popular muscle cars. You could build out a camaro for around 50k if you turn your own wrenches for a good portion.

There was an Elise at the road coarse a few weeks ago, it held its own and looked pretty good. They say prices on the uglier colors available are much lower then the popular ones. You dont see them very often so it would have some appeal at a car show. Power is ok I guess, not familiar with aftermarket stuff.

The M series BMW are also great choices. Car show crowds probably wouldnt know any better from a regular BMW but they do kick some butt at the road coarse. I'm not familiar with aftermarket power tweaks.

Porsche's kind of follow the BMW. I cant tell one from another.

My first thought would be a Gen II Viper. A Gen I would be ok but a roll bar would be needed since they only made convertibles. You've got 450 hp in the Gen II to start with, simple bolt ons would push it close to 500. Through some sticky tires and upgraded brake pads on it for the road coarse and your that much better off at the roadcoarse. Prices are within the range for either a stock or modded one...I'm preferring one thats got some mileage so I dont worry so much about scratches and dings.

There was an Infinit G35 at the road coarse a few weeks ago, did very well for stock. You could add a Stilen supercharger (saw one at our car show a few weeks ago) and stay within the price range. That car caught my eye and it could fit 4.

The EVO is very nice with AWD and easily upgraded power. I'm not familiar with its power band with the turbo but I guess you could modify it pretty easy.

The 350Z seems like a good car and has parts on the Infiniti G35. Not sure what could be done to the 350Z (I know they can build them with twin turbo's) but it would also be a fun car to drive.

I'm just thinking about what I'd like to get for an everyday application car that I can drive around town, tow to the track/roadcoarse and generate some eye catching times with, and present at a car show and get some attention. The Viper would obviously fit each category, just trying to think of an alternative. Good conversation going on here...your getting me thinkin'

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back