Best Guitarist of all time

Many poplular guitarists are great at covering the neck.... But, they are lousy musicians.

They can put out notes faster than the word'a God. But, the notes are meaningless.

Speed and accuracy are fine, but if you can't find "the note"... well, go home.

The most commercially successful (billionaire) players ain't neccesarily even musicians. They are just celebrities with guitars in their hands.

Clapton and a few others are exceptions.

D

Many poplular guitarists are great at covering the neck.... But, they are lousy musicians.

They can put out notes faster than the word'a God. But, the notes are meaningless.

The most commercially successful (billionaire) players ain't neccesarily even musicians. They are just celebrities with guitars in their hands.

D

very well explained:rock:

bottom line, its whats pleasein to the ears, heart & soul.

its what makes the feet move, brings the air guitarest out in one.

its what brings back memories of times past

of course IMVHO :rock:

Mason Williams ( I think ?) with that Classical Gas instrumental
but I still like Tony Rice best :rock:

Our brother, Tommy Emmanuel from down undah has made a career out of the Mason Williams hit..... Here's a comedic rendition of it where Tommy goes rather ape shit.....

Tommy is the Victor Borge of the guitar........ A Certified Guitar Player- A journeyman musician.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7wAEMIAhFs[/ame]

Enjoy.

D

I am at once biased and torn to answer this question without sufficient categorization.

In addition, many of the true giants are dead but without whose foundation the living legends would have little on which to build.

I couldn't name names without dividing them into specific musical genres.... Otherwise we have great classical (for instance) technicians without a profound ability to improvise vs: illiterate oafs whose pure riffs and techniques set the world on fire, like Robert Johnson and Django.....

The field is just too wide for me..... Sorry.

D

And Tim gets in the plug for 2 forum members. ;):D

A lot of folks won't agree with me, but I think Garcia belongs on any list. He might not have been the fastest, but he sure could make that thing talk, at least it talked to me. A lot of people don't know it, but Jerry forgot how to play when he was in his coma and had to teach himself how to play again, and I for one think he played better after that. And he could play anything with strings and make it all up as he went. Miss hearing that sound......

D

AMEN!!! :rock::rock::rock:

And Tim gets in the plug for 2 forum members. ;):D

A lot of folks won't agree with me, but I think Garcia belongs on any list. He might not have been the fastest, but he sure could make that thing talk, at least it talked to me. A lot of people don't know it, but Jerry forgot how to play when he was in his coma and had to teach himself how to play again, and I for one think he played better after that. And he could play anything with strings and make it all up as he went. Miss hearing that sound......

Great post, bro....... funny line about the shameless plug.

And yes, Captain Tripps should surely never be forgotten. He was truly an institution among guitarists....... An icon. His perfectly succinct little hooks acted as Jerry's signatures on The Dead sound... His acoustic work is his best, I think.... But that's just me.....

RIP, Cap..........

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hhqyg_dTaTg[/ame]

D

:rock::rock::rock::rock::rock::rock: Consider the best in the world ...Ukulele

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puSkP3uym5k&feature=related[/ame]

I am at once biased and torn to answer this question without sufficient categorization.

In addition, many of the true giants are dead but without whose foundation the living legends would have little on which to build.

I couldn't name names without dividing them into specific musical genres.... Otherwise we have great classical (for instance) technicians without a profound ability to improvise vs: illiterate oafs whose pure riffs and techniques set the world on fire, like Robert Johnson and Django.....

D

Another shameless plug Bob...lol

Tony is a great player.... Mark, too.

It is regrettable that bluegrass exposure is so limited.

There are some bluegrass pickers that can set the neck on fire.

The list is just too long.......

BTW.....We did forget Les Paul...........

D

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y36HCn4Ivws[/ame]

and Norman Blake

these are for the true music lovers AND the hillbillys and rednecks among us ,like me :D

Last edited:

D

Yea. I agree totally with this. It's a tough one.

I'm glad someone brought up Robert Johnson.

D

Yeap. You know your stuff man. Couldn't have said it better myself. There are many guitar players who don't understand that concept.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back