Big Ben Accident

Man I dont get it...Ive been riding steetbikes (aka crotch rockets) my whole life, and I dont understand how people can ride without helmets and protection. I dunno, guess mabye I'm the wierd-O :dontknow:

-Red

DarkSyde said:
Yeah, it's not sounding good bro. :eek:
I heard he was concious when they tood him from the scene. I also heard that he tried to stand up but couldn't and that he was bleeding from the head. But even the smallest head wound bleeds like crazy, so hopefully it isn't bad. Hate to see it happen anybody. I'm actually more than a little surprised that his contract allows him to ride without a helmet.

RedSrt007 said:
Man I dont get it...Ive been riding steetbikes (aka crotch rockets) my whole life, and I dont understand how people can ride without helmets and protection. I dunno, guess mabye I'm the wierd-O :dontknow:

-Red
If given the choice I never wear one. In fact the one I wear here in Cali is nothing more than a piece of cheap plastic, keeps the cops from stopping me though. There is nothing like the feeling of riding without one.

OCBob said:
If given the choice I never wear one. In fact the one I wear here in Cali is nothing more than a piece of cheap plastic, keeps the cops from stopping me though. There is nothing like the feeling of riding without one.

Yeah, thats what Ive been told by a few of my buddies in no helmet-states. But, I guess I just like the piece of mind knowing at least I wount get road rash and such....

Ive been in a few wrecks on my Gsxr 1000, and thank-God I was wearing full gear (1 piece, helmet, gloves, etc..). Ripped my rotator cup, and damaged my shoulder pretty bad, but I didn't have a scratch on me... doing about 90+. I probably would have been dead (my helmets had huge gouges and chunks taken out of it, my leathers were rashed bad and my titanium knuckles gloves were shaved down)

Guess i'm just a firm believer now :rock: ..no squid here :D
-Red

RedSrt007 said:
Yeah, thats what Ive been told by a few of my buddies in no helmet-states. But, I guess I just like the piece of mind knowing at least I wount get road rash and such....

Ive been in a few wrecks on my Gsxr 1000, and thank-God I was wearing full gear (1 piece, helmet, gloves, etc..). Ripped my rotator cup, and damaged my shoulder pretty bad, but I didn't have a scratch on me... doing about 90+. I probably would have been dead (my helmets had huge gouges and chunks taken out of it, my leathers were rashed bad and my titanium knuckles gloves were shaved down)

Guess i'm just a firm believer now :rock: ..no squid here :D
-Red
Usually it is a very different kind of wreck between a crotch rocket and a harley. Most of the time with us it is with another vehicle.

A witness told Channel 4 Action News that Roethlisberger went over the handlebars, hit the windshield of another vehicle and then hit the ground.

The witness said she saw the accident and went over to help but did not recognize Roethlisberger. When she asked him what his name was, she said he replied, "Ben."

The woman added that Roethlisberger asked her a series of questions, including where he was and what state he was in. He attempted to stand up but the woman said she encouraged him not to move until paramedics arrived.

Sounds promising, but head injuries can be real strange. Had a Brother hit a deer one time while he was with us. We all stopped and he got up and was walking around and talking with us. About 5 minutes later he dropped and never regained conciousness.

OCBob said:
Everyone in my family that rides feels the same way....My brother in-law rides 30-50K each year on his scooter.....and he never rides with a helmet on.

One night 2 years ago he was with some friends at a bar a buddy of his and his girlfriend road into town from CA.....my sister picked up the girlfriend at the bar and when my brother in-law and his buddy left the bar he had his girlfriends helmet.

So my brother in-law wore the helmet so his buddy did not have to carry it......he was drunk and took a corner too fast slid on some sand and wrecked....busted him up badly he spent 8 weeks in ICU.... he was all but dead at the scene..... and another year of rehab.....he is in a chair now.....but the helmet saved his life at least the doc's say that.......it was all scraped up on both sides.

He's back to work now at the Harley shop where he lives....been wrenching on Harleys since 1975.....we bought him another bike and put a side car on it so he can wheel his chair into the side car and pull himself over to the bike....he is riding again and is loving it......he only rides with a helmet now.

Walt

I don't wear a helmet either, but I ride Harley's also. If it is my turn to go, I would rather just go. I have zero want to live in a wheelchair or any state that has me physically or mentally impaired.

You could not pay me enough money to ride without the best helmit I can get. Just my $.02.

Bill.

I heard that he has a broken jaw, if that is all it is he is lucky. I also heard that the driver of the car turned left in front of him! There are a lot of fucking people that shouldn't be allowed to drive a car, it happens all the time.

OCBob said:
I heard that he has a broken jaw, if that is all it is he is lucky. I also heard that the driver of the car turned left in front of him! There are a lot of fucking people that shouldn't be allowed to drive a car, it happens all the time.

X2.

There were also some people talking about 'severe knee damage', according to some policeman on the scene. I'm hoping they're talking road rash, not torn ligaments like Kellen "Im a fuggin Soulja!!!!" Winslow Jr.

I wasn't gonna say anything about this, but I here's my .02..............

Before the helmut laws were initiated in CA. I rode my Norton (or whatever I had at the time) without a helmut.... and yeah, it was cool and free and young and wild and all that macho shit..... Hell, I even rode at night with no lights on when I had no other transportation than my bike and the headlight was on order. It was complicated even more by the fact that you couldn't wear sunglasses at night and the wind really blurred your eyesight.:(

But since the 3 cylinder Kawis first came out over 30 years ago and speeds and power increased astronomically............. not to mention the fact that the riding position then put your head directly into the line of fire...... I ALWAYS WEAR A HELMUT........ I wouldn't even think about riding without one....:2in1:

Anyone who rides without a helmut is (being at least something of) a macho daredevil........ I believe that the mindset is, "Yes, its more dangerous............"....but........ "Born to be Wild, baby". And "there's nothing like the feeling of the wind in yer hair"....Or in you guys cases (lol) the wind on yer scalp......:rock:

But IMO........Riding with no helmut is a hawg thing....not a sportbike thing.... Perhaps that's part of the schism between the two types of rider. I ALWAYS acknowledge other riders on the highway. But guys on hawgz don't usually respond (with even a simple nod or hand gesture) to guys on sportbikes......:dontknow: I'm not saying they're buttholes or any shit like that. That just a factual observation...

Everyone is into their own thing..... Guys on hawgs are into a thing does NOT include a helmut.......They're more into an American flag bandana on a shaved head with a long chin beard. That's the appropriate fashion statement. This is one example where the difference in age has no bearing...... It breaks down according to what machine yer riding.

Just my opinion.....

By the way, I have no problem whatsoever with guys on hawgs.... I say "hats off" to everyone on 2 wheels. To one degree or another, we ALL subscribe to one common thread..... "Live free or die"....

SD

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back