Big Ben Accident

Update

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is in serious but stable condition and underwent surgery following a serious head injury he suffered this morning when his motorcycle collided with a car on Second Avenue near the 10th Street Bridge, police said.
Roethlisberger lost most of his teeth, fractured his left sinus cavity bone, suffered a nine-inch laceration to the back of his head and a broken jaw, and injured both of his knees when he hit the ground, police said.

Roethlisberger, 24, who was not wearing a helmet, collided with a Chrysler New Yorker at 11:15 a.m. and was thrown off his motorcycle, flying head-first into the car's windshield "with a pretty good force," said a veteran city police officer.

Roethlisberger was talking and moving his arms and legs after the accident.

The car, which has Maine license plates, was heading west on Second Avenue and was turning left onto the 10th Street Bridge. Roethlisberger was driving east on Second Avenue riding a Suzuki Hayabusa and collided with the car at the intersection of the bridge and the Armstrong Tunnels.

The 62-year-old woman driving the car, who maintains residences in Maine and Squirrel Hill, escaped serious injury, police said.

Roethlisberger, who led the Steelers to a Super Bowl championship this year, slammed into the windshield, rolled over the car and landed on the pavement, striking his head again, said a woman who witnessed the accident.

The witness, who declined to give her name, asked Roethlisberger several times if he was OK.

He eventually replied, "My name is Ben."

He asked: "Where am I?"

"You're at the Armstrong Tunnel," the witness said.

"What city is that in?" he said.

"Pittsburgh," the woman replied.

Roethlisberger fell silent for about a minute and then tried to stand up.

"I'm OK," he said.

"No you're not," said the woman, who instructed him to stay still.

Roethlisberger's 2005 Suzuki Hayabusa, which is named after a Japanese bird of prey, was totaled. The 170-horsepower bike, which weighs 500 pounds fully loaded, was targeted by law enforcement agencies worldwide after its 1998 debut because it could reach a top speed of 189 mph.

Suzuki Motorcycles of North America gave Roethlisberger the bike as part of a promotional deal in exchange for his appearance at several area Suzuki dealerships, including Andrews Cycle in Salem, Ohio, where he picked up the motorcycle last summer. Andrews' sales staff declined comment.

In May 2005, Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. tore knee ligaments in a motorcycle accident and was lost for the season.

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident, and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."

Sounds like he is going to look like a football player now LOL. I just hope that his knees aren't too torn up. As far as what Bradshaw had to say that is just silly. Sort of like saying that him playing football is more important than his well being in general.

Django, I usually ignore everyone that waves at me LOL. But truth be told I am sure I have more in common with you riding wise than 99% of the guys on harleys. I have been riding since I got my first dirtbike at 6 years old. Got my first harley at 17 and rode it from Jersey to Daytona a week later. I do like the wind in my hair (or stubble at least), can't argue with that.

It's that Miami U. addiction to fast cars and fast women! Just look at Roktman!:D
We wish Ben all the best.

I prolly agree with some guys that ridin wit out a helmet does feel better, as does f$%kin wit out a condom. But you never know what the rest of the world might throw at you. That is why I always wear my seat belt, strap on a condom, and wear a helmet.

FerrariTruck said:
I prolly agree with some guys that ridin wit out a helmet does feel better, as does f$%kin wit out a condom. But you never know what the rest of the world might throw at you. That is why I always wear my seat belt, strap on a condom, and wear a helmet.
Well I'm married so I don't need a condom or a lid LOL

Begood said:
You could not pay me enough money to ride without the best helmit I can get. Just my $.02.

Bill.
You already have sustained enough brain damage, the helmet wont help a lick......Good news is the Seahawks now have a chance:p :D

I really feel bad for Big Ben...but if you ride w/o a helmet your an Idiot :rock:
That's like screwing without protection and getting all pissed when you catch AIDS :rock: :D

FerrariTruck said:
Good advice, helmets for both heads are necessary to avoid unwanted bugs and junk when your're thrusting quickly down the highway :p

OCBob said:
Helmets are for pussies and little old ladies on mopeds LOL.

I love ya, Bob...... Yer like a brother to me.....

But compared to a sportbike, a hawg IS a moped.........

But they do sound badass.....:D

SD

OCBob said:
Helmets are for pussies and little old ladies on mopeds LOL.
Refer to my other post..............:p :D I think helmets should be optional....but choosing to not wear one I think is crazy....I scraped up to many bodies as a cop to think otherwise:2in1:

Silent D said:
I love ya, Bob...... Yer like a brother to me.....

But compared to a sportbike, a hawg IS a moped.........

But they do sound badass.....:D

SD
I'll tell you something, I pass many a sportbike on my geezer glide. It is not a rare occurence to be in triple digits or splitting lanes at 80! Hell, I ran a rented Electra Glide up the dragons tail dragging the shit out of the pipes and floorboards LOL.

Bought my first Harley in 77 and rode off and on up till 98 when I got rid of my last bike. My personal opinion was it's more important what's in your head, than what's on your head. The last couple years that I owned my bike there was hardly a day that went by that I did not have to take some form of evasive action. If I had not been paying total attention to my riding, I probably would have had an accident. And generally when you are riding on the street it's just plain ass luck that saves your life, not the helmet.

OCBob said:
I'll tell you something, I pass many a sportbike on my geezer glide. It is not a rare occurence to be in triple digits or splitting lanes at 80! Hell, I ran a rented Electra Glide up the dragons tail dragging the shit out of the pipes and floorboards LOL.

Passing someone who (race wise) wouldn't waste the gas (on you) is nothing new, Bro.

Honestly, I wouldn't race a Honda Civic with my truck either.... Neither would you. Comparing a hawg with a sportbike (performance wise) is a non issue. You know that........

I sit at triple digits yawning with one arm on the tank waiting for something to happen. And splitting lanes at 80mph is a function of the driver, not a performance issue.

I drive a geezer sportbike.... a ZZR1200 Isn't even considered a sportbike... more like a sport-touring bike. But it has the capability of getting up around 180+ mph with no stability or control issues at all.

This really isn't even debatable...........

No offense meant, bro....

SD

You do know what they call bike riders with no helmet in the ER don't you. :dontknow:

Organ Donor

OCBob said:
Well I'm married so I don't need a condom or a lid LOL

Funny I didn't know being married worked as birth control:dontknow: Also although a helmet might not keep you from getting in an accident it might save your life if you do get in one. The reason I stand behind helmets so much is because I saw them in action first hand. A friend of mind once landed on his back after tryin to pull a wheelie goin 85pls. He slid for seemed like forever all while his head was bouncin off the freeway til he came to a stop. amazinly he got up and ran to his bike to pull it aside. If it werent for the back pack he had on along with helmet he had on, theres no way he would of survived that.

Silent D said:
I wasn't gonna say anything about this, but I here's my .02..............

Before the helmut laws were initiated in CA. I rode my Norton (or whatever I had at the time) without a helmut.... and yeah, it was cool and free and young and wild and all that macho shit..... Hell, I even rode at night with no lights on when I had no other transportation than my bike and the headlight was on order. It was complicated even more by the fact that you couldn't wear sunglasses at night and the wind really blurred your eyesight.:(

But since the 3 cylinder Kawis first came out over 30 years ago and speeds and power increased astronomically............. not to mention the fact that the riding position then put your head directly into the line of fire...... I ALWAYS WEAR A HELMUT........ I wouldn't even think about riding without one....:2in1:

Anyone who rides without a helmut is (being at least something of) a macho daredevil........ I believe that the mindset is, "Yes, its more dangerous............"....but........ "Born to be Wild, baby". And "there's nothing like the feeling of the wind in yer hair"....Or in you guys cases (lol) the wind on yer scalp......:rock:

But IMO........Riding with no helmut is a hawg thing....not a sportbike thing.... Perhaps that's part of the schism between the two types of rider. I ALWAYS acknowledge other riders on the highway. But guys on hawgz don't usually respond (with even a simple nod or hand gesture) to guys on sportbikes......:dontknow: I'm not saying they're buttholes or any shit like that. That just a factual observation...

Everyone is into their own thing..... Guys on hawgs are into a thing does NOT include a helmut.......They're more into an American flag bandana on a shaved head with a long chin beard. That's the appropriate fashion statement. This is one example where the difference in age has no bearing...... It breaks down according to what machine yer riding.

Just my opinion.....

By the way, I have no problem whatsoever with guys on hawgs.... I say "hats off" to everyone on 2 wheels. To one degree or another, we ALL subscribe to one common thread..... "Live free or die"....

SD

I wave at everyone on bikes, riding both my Harley V-Rod and Dyna Wide Glide. I think it is more of a function of area of the country versus type of bike. Most everyone around here waves at everyone else, that hasn't been the case in other areas of the country with me.

I love the ZZR, just don't find sportbikes comfortable anymore personally, had a Katana as a first bike. I'm not your typical Harley rider either..... LOL!

FerrariTruck said:
Funny I didn't know being married worked as birth control:dontknow: Also although a helmet might not keep you from getting in an accident it might save your life if you do get in one. The reason I stand behind helmets so much is because I saw them in action first hand. A friend of mind once landed on his back after tryin to pull a wheelie goin 85pls. He slid for seemed like forever all while his head was bouncin off the freeway til he came to a stop. amazinly he got up and ran to his bike to pull it aside. If it werent for the back pack he had on along with helmet he had on, theres no way he would of survived that.
Well, if you are pulling wheelies at 85 on the streets there ain't much in your head worth saving anyway.

Silent D said:
Passing someone who (race wise) wouldn't waste the gas (on you) is nothing new, Bro.

Honestly, I wouldn't race a Honda Civic with my truck either.... Neither would you. Comparing a hawg with a sportbike (performance wise) is a non issue. You know that........

I sit at triple digits yawning with one arm on the tank waiting for something to happen. And splitting lanes at 80mph is a function of the driver, not a performance issue.

I drive a geezer sportbike.... a ZZR1200 Isn't even considered a sportbike... more like a sport-touring bike. But it has the capability of getting up around 180+ mph with no stability or control issues at all.

This really isn't even debatable...........

No offense meant, bro....

SD
That is exactly what I am saying, I can outride people on much quicker bikes, that is a fact. I have had years where I have ridden well over 50k miles, and I have been riding on the street for damn near 30 years, you do the math. Believe it or not, but it is a fact. Try riding in a pack at 100 mph with bike on your side, one 5 feet off your front wheels and another 5 feet off your back wheels for 1500 miles sometime, it will give you a whole new outlook on riding. LOL

No offense meant to you either, but riding is what I do. And I have had Brothers that can ride circles around me on old rigid panheads with 24 inch apes hehehehe.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back