Bodybuilding

535 6x..holy cow...I lifted a beer out of the fridge and almost strained my shoulder last night. Tonight might go for a six-pack and set a new personal record...:beer:

LMAO! Keep training buddy... you'll be able to rip a whole 30 pack in no time!

Well, since I jacked my shoulder up trying to be a bad ass on the bench, I decided to focus on my squats. I got 535 yesterday 6 times! I felt like I could have gone more but I didnt wanna push my luck. I think Im finally over this plateau that Ive been in for a while now. Caveman told me to take my iPad and video it to check my form so I'll try and get that uploaded over the weekend. Also, I just wanna point out that this thread wasnt to try to say "hey look at me, im strong and shit" its just a place for people who lift to talk about it. Common ground, thats all.

I'm pretty sure Caveman meant to say- take a video so we can see if you're doing a real squat with that weight or if you're doing a half ass gym hero squat. Post that vid! If you are really burying that weight for 6 reps, CONGRATULATIONS!

I'm pretty sure Caveman meant to say- take a video so we can see if you're doing a real squat with that weight or if you're doing a half ass gym hero squat. Post that vid! If you are really burying that weight for 6 reps, CONGRATULATIONS!

Stealth, I heard through the vine that youre kind of the man when it comes to lifting ;) My question to you is do you ever use squat machines? Will it help me or hurt me in the long run. Im talking about the one where you load the weight on, move the retainer bar and drop all the way down to the bump stops. Whenver Im about to try out a new weight, I always do it on there first to make sure Im gonna be able to handle it. Could I not just use this to do ALL my squats? I know its a machine, but youre still moving the same amount of weight. When I did those 535's last week it was not on a machine, but the machines really helped me get there.

I think at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter. If looks and big muscles are what you're going for, then who cares if you got it from a machine or free weight. If it's strength you're going for, then again, doesn't really matter. Strong is strong whether you got there from a machine or free weight, IMO. The only real difference would be if you're doing a competition of some type and they require bar and plates. Or if you are going for a true 1 rep max, then same thing. Otherwise, I think do what you're most comfortable with. I will say this: I can leg press much more than I can free squat with bar and plates. Free weights I do think make you stronger, but at a certain point when you get really strong, what difference does it make at that point?

Thanks thats exactly what I was thinking also. Im not so much a fan of machines but when it comes to lifting really heavy I like to play it safe at first, especially since I work out alone and never have/use spotters. The only drawback I can foresee when using machines is that your stabilizer muscles never properly get used, and if you ONLY use machines and then go free weight for max, you'll just fall over lol. Im not trying to be a huge competition lifter but being able to squat 600 in the gym would be bad ass :rock: Once I get there Ill chil out.

Yep stabilizer muscles don't get worked as much with machines because the pullies are holding the weight for you vs a bar on your back lol

Pullies? Just for reference here is the machine Im talkin bout

Body-Solid-GSCL360-Calf-Squat-2.jpg

well there's not pullies on there, but the "arm" is helping support some of the weight.

Yea, Im gonna go back tomorrow and bump it up to 550 on the machine first, hopefully the ol' back will hold up :dontknow:

Me too, knees arent that great either. My back is jacked up bad though, got a thoratic spinal injury over there. All healed up now but its always in the back of my mind. Its like when something breaks on your truck and you get it fixed, youre kinda scared to floor it again lol.

lol that's how I feel with my knee. Partially tore my left ACL in college during ROTC. It's crazy I was enlisted for 6 years with nothing more than a scratch, if that, then get to sunny Tampa for easy ROTC and tear my knee running. Go figure.

lol for a while there I thought I would have to give up being in the Army period. It was taking a long time to heal and the VA ortho doc didn't want to do surgery. It healed up just in time for me to go to the 1 month cadet evaluation course at Ft. Lewis and thankfully held up for the month and the months since.

Sadly, I've earned that tab, figuratively speaking. You wouldn't believe the amount of PowerPoint presentations I've had to do during this deployment. I somehow got the "privilage" of not getting a platoon for my first 12 months as an officer and instead got stuck as the staff Engineer for an Infantry Battalion. Lucky me. Hopefully I'll be going to Ranger or Sapper school this fall.

I love to workout but im just a lil fella. But i stay cut up and can outperform most anybody in the gym 50lbs heavier than me. My metabolism is so high if i dont heat 4000+ calories a day and work out ill actuslly loose weight, bodyfat percentage stays around 5-6.5% lol

My metabolism is so high if i dont heat 4000+ calories a day and work out ill actuslly loose weight

I have the same problem. I have been stuck in the 178 - 187 range for months, no matter how much I eat and how much I lift. The good news is I can see a reduction in my body fat. I am at the point now that I just eat everything I can get my hands on and have been slowly increasing weight but still in that range.

I have the same problem. I have been stuck in the 178 - 187 range for months, no matter how much I eat and how much I lift. The good news is I can see a reduction in my body fat. I am at the point now that I just eat everything I can get my hands on and have been slowly increasing weight but still in that range.

I could gain weight if i realky wanted, i gained 35lbs of solid muscle after i got married but was constantly eating every 2 hours including gainer shakes.

I try to eat pretty clean though, and no fast food except for things like zaxbys n such. Optimum nutrition makes a pro complex gainer and a serious mass gainer, low in fat high in protein carbs and calories. Thats the way to go for people like us thst want to put on some size...

I could gain weight if i realky wanted, i gained 35lbs of solid muscle after i got married but was constantly eating every 2 hours including gainer shakes.

I try to eat pretty clean though, and no fast food except for things like zaxbys n such. Optimum nutrition makes a pro complex gainer and a serious mass gainer, low in fat high in protein carbs and calories. Thats the way to go for people like us thst want to put on some size...

I was really hoping to be around 200 this summer. I'm not that far off if I could keep gaining.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back