Bone's Sun Coast Visit and Install

I like the idea of increasing the trans. and diff. capacity. That's the kind of mods I will do. I've got 4 other hot-rods that go through the mod cash pretty fast. So when I get the time to put it on the lift I'll look into an engine oil flush, brakes and diff. The trans. will have to be done elsewhere.

BigBlackQC said:
What's the benefit of welding where the differential meets the axle? Is that a weak area to begin with? I've never seen that done and just wanted to learn more about it. TIA

Joe
Joe, I asked a few techs at Sun Coast after my install, "What is my weakest link now in regards to transmission and drivetrain?" They said "I don't have one now (with a smile on his face, taking pride in his work). However, I see you have traction bars which will resist the twisting when launching, and Dodge for some reason only spot welds the diff/axle. If you want to do a quick beef-up fix, weld the axles/diff completely." So he wasn't implying it was weak, only that now an option would be to weld to enhance it.

It only takes a welder 10-15 minutes to do, if that. You can do the prep work. So the next time in a muffler shop have em go at it. Shouldn't be more than a few bills. Just thought it would be a helpful suggestion, not a necessary need to do.

Did you get a new tranny after your incident? What work did they do to your truck?

Last edited:
Stinker said:
Hey bone! Why dont ya come down to the Heffner Challenge?:burnout:
That date is a drill weekend (work) for me unfortunately.
Plus, it is time for someone else to win.

Stinker said:
LOLOL I hear ya dog! Who ya drillin? The neighbors wife!LOLOL:rock:
Well, I figured you will be out of town and your woman may want some company.:D All the wives saw me naked at the Nats anyway.

mauiSRT/10 said:
Unreal thread Bone. Love all the pics and great info. Quite a pricey day for you though!! But now you have confidence when hitting that NOS button!!

patrick

I had confidence with the stock diesel tranny and NOS already. Just prepping for Forced Ind and NOS on top of it.

Pricey = living in Hawaii! Can't believe beer prices over there!

Update: Tranny is still running great. Still surprises me every day I drive it. I have to watch the shift into second because it doesn't just 'chirp' anymore, it spins. I ended up off the side of the road in a slight turn when the back end spun out, facing the other direction. I just started to laugh, I love it.

The Mag-Hytec makes it real easy to check the fluids and metal particles. Takes less than a minute to remove and check with the installed magnetic 'dip-stick'. I'm going to put them on my hemi too. I highly recommend the trans and diff pans.

The Torque Converter really gives me the understanding of a Torque multiplier. I know many of you already understand this but I am born-again.

here's an article from Trukin magazine:
http://www.truckinweb.com/brandpages/ford/0102tr_drag_racing_traction_tips/

"What many car enthusiasts don't know, or simply overlook, is that you can get more performance out of the power you already have. Power (more accurately, torque) is never delivered directly from the flywheel to the pavement without first being multiplied by gear ratios in the transmission and the differential. The math is pretty simple: A car with a 4.0:1:1 gear ratio puts 33 percent more torque to the wheels than a car with a 3.0:1 gear ratio with no increase in engine torque. However, changing gear ratios is another one of those compromises. Drive-ability is adversely affected because the engine revs higher at all speeds, uses more fuel and wears itself out faster. Bottom line: Gears will help your car accelerate quicker, you'll just hate the added rpm if you drive your vehicle any distance.

Meet the Torque Multiplier

If your car has an automatic transmission, it has an additional torque multiplier above and beyond the trans and the differential gears. It's called the torque converter because it is a fluid coupling that disengages the engine from the transmission at idle so you can pull to a stop or shift gears without stalling the engine. The torque converter is actually a misnomer -- it should be called the torque multiplier because it doesn't simply provide a one-to-one connection to the transmission like a clutch does with a manual transmission.

A torque converter will multiply engine torque on takeoff. This torque multiplication factor remains in effect until the vehicle speed catches up with engine speed. A purpose-built high-performance torque converter can multiply torque even more, as much as 2-1/2 times. OEM torque converters can vary greatly in the amount of torque multiplication and stall speed. Replacing your stock torque converter with a high-performance torque converter can decrease quarter-mile times by 0.4 to 0.6 seconds with no other changes. Installing a high-performance torque converter should be the first step in any performance upgrade program.

Torque multiplication is just one important parameter for selecting a torque converter. Stall speed, the speed at which the converter slips under full-throttle, full-load operation is important as well. Early race/street-type converters built a few years ago focused solely on stall speed. As long as the converter slipped enough to get the engine into the torque peak, it was considered a success -- not very efficient, but it worked. Today's new trucks have efficient torque converters, but lack the necessary stall speeds for optimum performance."

The article also did a test on an L where the torque converter alone dropped .47 sec on its 1/4 mile time.

Santa sent me a PML tranny and a Mag-Hytec diff Pan for my Hemi Ram.:rock:
Will be installing it this week (and the rest of my Transgo shift kit).

Attachments

• 5chicksass.gif
    5chicksass.gif
    84.6 KB · Views: 168
  • smallpan1.JPG
    smallpan1.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 38
  • smallpan2.JPG
    smallpan2.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 31
  • smallpan3.JPG
    smallpan3.JPG
    59.5 KB · Views: 26
mannnnn... those are very sweet presents:rock: :rock: ... you should sent santa this way... you know i still need a cai

I put a PML tranny pan on my Hemi Truck today (from Bob/Moe's Metalworks) and a Mag-Hytec Pan on my rear differential.:rock:

To compare:

Hemi Truck with upgraded pan took = 12 quarts of Mopar syn ATF +4 (from Patrick)
SRT-10 with upgraded pan took = 17 quarts (Suncoast)

Hemi with Mag-Hytec diff took = 3.75 quarts Mopar syn plus 4oz anti-knock (Patrick)
SRT-10
with Mag-Hytec diff = 4.5 quarts AMSOIL plus anti-knock

I also did some work on the valve body with a Transgo kit. I was able to do most of the shift kit without dropping the tranny.
Pics here are of Hemi pans.:D

Attachments

• dcp_4594.jpg
    dcp_4594.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • dcp_4587.jpg
    dcp_4587.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
  • dcp_4597.jpg
    dcp_4597.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • dcp_4580.jpg
    dcp_4580.jpg
    950.9 KB · Views: 25
  • dcp_4582.jpg
    dcp_4582.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • dcp_4583.jpg
    dcp_4583.jpg
    869.5 KB · Views: 34
  • dcp_4584.jpg
    dcp_4584.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 29
  • dcp_4596.jpg
    dcp_4596.jpg
    857.3 KB · Views: 31
  • dcp_4592.jpg
    dcp_4592.jpg
    457.8 KB · Views: 35
  • dcp_4590.jpg
    dcp_4590.jpg
    729.5 KB · Views: 23
excellent information about our auto transmissions bones ----

Hey bone So with that High stall your in your power band immediately right?
Id doesn't lag anymore right. I assume it takes off like rocket now:rock: :rock:

Annu Kumar said:
Hey bone So with that High stall your in your power band immediately right?
Id doesn't lag anymore right. I assume it takes off like rocket now:rock: :rock:

You are correct (however, I never had any lag without the upgraded TC, just lower in the RPMs). You will take about a half second off of your 1/4 mile time with a good TC.

It's all about traction now my friend. I feel like NBT now when I launch! lol:D

lookin real nice! :rock: that's just awsome man.. i don't have the stomach to
work with auto trannies though... all the little gates and stuff would drive me
crazy.. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sharpi

The transmission is back from Suncoast and installed. Obviously, I haven't driven it yet, but Taliban Dan has and said it was shifting and pulling hard again. So far, I didn't pay a thing to have it repaired and upgraded....don't even know if I have a bill for fluids.

Once again, I give a thumbs up for Suncoast.:rock:

It's still at the local shop with Eddies and Smokes to get a group picture.

mine's going this afternoon, i should have already had it over there but was out of town last week. got it loaded down with parts and ready to ride to georgia.

Suncoast made a new Torque Converter for me under warranty too.
Said there were too many metal particles on it to clean it properly.
Clutches were all burnt. Looks like the billet drum was the problem. Originally for a Diesel application were the RPMS aren't as high. Spun the fluid off the clutches were they burnt up. Installed new clutches, modified the drum and exit for fluid.

Hopefully, I will drive it this afternoon.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back