CAI/TB

Gustafsson64

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am thinking of adding a K&N CAI kit and a 68mm Throttle body from the viper store. Will I need to re-tune the truck or are these perfect for plug and play ? Is the TB necessary or just stick with the CAI?

Thoughts?
Suggestions?

Appreciate all of you!

Plug and play. The throttle body definitely gives you better throttle response and those adds are a true 25 horsepower gain. I have the K&N and BBK.

Last edited:
If tonys TB is anything like the rest of the stuff I have purchased from him, you will not be disappointed.

I recommend our Single Blade TB but for sure with a K&N CAI :burnout:
I recommend this on every truck I build. :burnout:

I'm thinking of getting the TB as well but was going to keep the stock box with the K&N drop in.
Is that setup ok with your TB? Or is it better to run the CAI with it?

I'm thinking of getting the TB as well but was going to keep the stock box with the K&N drop in.
Is that setup ok with your TB? Or is it better to run the CAI with it?

That's fine for any TB.
Some people even prefer the stock box because they say it actually gets cool air where the CAI draws in hot air from the engine bay. Whether it is noticeable who knows, I just like the look of a CAI to clean up the looks of the engine bay.

Last edited:
That's fine for any TB.
Some people even prefer the stock box because they say it actually gets cool air where the CAI draws in hot air from the engine bay. Whether it is noticeable who knows, I just like the look of a CAI to clean up the looks of the engine bay.

The accordion style intake tract causes a slowing of air and you can hear the restriction when you goose it ;)
A smooth intake tract is worth power.

Anyone care to dyno a truck with just a CAI change?
I'm betting it would be pretty minimal though.
Cooler air vs smoother air flow.... who would win.

Send me a free CAI and i can do it at my local shop:D

Good try, I just got one for myself last week :rofl:

I'm not gonna spend the money on a dyno for just a TB either. I have some other big things I might be doing soon, and will dyno then. Won't be a good test at that point.

just realized that at that point I won't need a CAI... crap.

Last edited:
I had a K&N CAI; looked good, sounded great. The issue with CAI's is they suck hot air when the hood is closed. This will cause the intake air temperature to rise and the ECU will pull timing to prevent detonation. I run the stock box with a K&N diesel cone filter. I tested both the K&N cone and flat filters on the dyno a few years ago.....there is 1 HP difference between the two.

Last edited:
Here we go again....lol
There are too many variables on a dyno. Take your anus to the track as I have for many years and note the differences between mods in the same day, same DA, same track, same operator driving, etc and you'll learn a lot about your driving and mods done! I've swapped CAI at the track, I've swapped tunes from many vendors at the track, I've swapped tire sizes and compounds at the track. It's testing like this that gives accurate results and also has my Quad Cab with almost 120,000 miles running 12.18 ;) without ANY power adders or heads/cam/compression changes :burnout:
When a dyno can accurately represent these changes then he'll will freeze over, lol. To each his own, but if ya wanna run with the Big Dogs, gotta get off the porch and think outside the box.

If I wanted to run with the "Big Dogs" I wouldn't have bought a big heavy truck :D I would have kept the Vette, Viper or my old fox body Mustang.

Build an intake like my truck.

Curves straight down and the filter is inside the front bumper in the path of direct airflow.

None of the intakes available are a CAI. They are just intakes. Mine is a CAI. Cold Air Intake. It does not pull air from the engine bay and there aren't any "accordion" sections either.

DSC01490_zps50cf58df.jpg

DSC01488_zpsd5f72440.jpg

DSC01492_zps9ae860cd.jpg

DSC01493_zpseaaf326e.jpg

Build an intake like my truck.

Curves straight down and the filter is inside the front bumper in the path of direct airflow.

None of the intakes available are a CAI. They are just intakes. Mine is a CAI. Cold Air Intake. It does not pull air from the engine bay and there aren't any "accordion" sections either.

DSC01490_zps50cf58df.jpg

DSC01488_zpsd5f72440.jpg

DSC01492_zps9ae860cd.jpg

DSC01493_zpseaaf326e.jpg

very nice setup ! ! !
and sounds/looks much better than CAI that sucks hot air from engine...:rock:

I was thinking some Al. tubing and as few bends as possible and relocating the IAT to a place where it would read cooler air while locating the filter as far from hot underhood air with as few bends as possible would be ideal.

I know in the GTO's/Vettes the OTR(Over The Radiator) CAI is ideal. Looking at the engine compartment that does not seem possible with the 10. Something with as few bends that puts the IAT in a spot to read cooler air is the best solution.

A lot of "Cold Air" kits are just a smooth tube that sucks hot underhood air. Several makers do their dyno tests with the hood up and a large fan blowing air. That's not really a fair or accurate test. I forget the formula but every sharp bend(90) essentially adds X amount of feet of straight pipe to the setup. Therefore less bends is less restriction.

I have yet to see any real COLD air setup for the 10.

'Moe

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back