catch can

I would recommend using a can that you can loop the two valve covers through. I had the unit with the small filter but the fumes from it were too much so I switched to a unit that has two hoses - one to each valve cover. No messy filter to deal with or fumes to smell.

Just going through some old threads and saw this one. This is what I emptied out of my can a while back.
01327EFC-9D22-4FC6-9CDD-F5364F1CACF1-3232-0000010CA317C6DC.jpg

EB9B59C5-5EDB-412C-B120-E81507C63C6C-3232-0000010CAB260573.jpg

What's your guys stance on using a filter media in the can, like steel wool or screens to help condense and pull oil and contaminates out of the air vs just an empty can?
My way of thinking was that the hot gasses and larger droplets would condense when they hit the cooler media and get trapped, where as an empty can would catch the larger droplets and junk but let the smaller/lighter contaminates and evaporated oil/fumes and stuff get sucked through, especially if the in and out pots of the can are right next to eachother.
No scientific fact behind any of it, just the way I pictured it working in my head.

It doesn't determine what side. The crankcase is a common area, no matter what bank is leaking it "should" come out of both cans. But there is a slight variable, the stock barbs or nipples on the valve covers do not have the same orifice size through the barb. Even though they appear the same from the outside, if you remove them you will notice one side is much more closed off than the other (I don't remember which side is which). So when using unmodified valve covers, then yes the vapors may tend to go more to one can than the other due to a restriction at one valve cover. But in a case like your plumbing where we modified the valve covers for the ORB threads, the orifice size is the same therefore allowing the vapors to exit both sides with the same efficiency.

Hopefully that makes sense?

Im gonna be putting the twins back on real soon and gonna do some cosmetics to the valve covers also. What exactly or how did you modify the valve cover in order to make the orifices the same size or to increase them where they would breathe better. Thanks

The catch can is a oneway setup... (isnt plumbed back to engine)

Mine is.. it goes from the valve covers, to the can, then back out to the underside of the manifold. It doesnt have to vent to the outside air.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back