Ceramic Coated pistons and FI problems.

MG42pillbox

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If one was to just ceramic coat the stock pistons. How much safer would a Paxton SC be?

0 %:( :( :( :marchmellow: just buy some forged internals cheap skate :p :p :D :D ;) :marchmellow:

Last edited:
I'm not sure how the coating would hold up under those extreme conditions and I doubt it would give the stock pistons anymore strength.

Go for it, it is your engine, just send me the block when the holes appear as I can use a new coffe table :D :D

Much of the piston problem occurs in the separation wall between the ring lands. You can't coat that part of the piston. The dome is a problem due to its minimal depth, and ceramic coating would help a little.

But if you are going to drop the pan to pull the pistons, it is just not wise to not go with forged pistons and rods.

Roy

Prof said:
But if you are going to drop the pan to pull the pistons, it is just not wise to not go with forged pistons and rods.

Roy

That was my exact thought process . . .

or if you don't have cash for the rods take the heads off and do just pistons better then nothing.IMO

I do apply ceramics as part of my daily routine. The thermal barrier coatings that would go on the combustion chamber and/or piston tops will do nothing for strength, but help minimize hotspots and ultimately let you tune 'closer to the edge' without detonation. The skirt coatings do help minimize friction and also help retail oil during a cold/dry startup.

So if your pistons are prone to failure due to detonation brought on by the increased boost pressures, then yes, the coatings may help. If it's just a simple matter of cyl pressure per square inch being too great for the piston to handle, then I would agree with the others that posted and recommend a forged upgrade. If this is an all out type application (doesn't sound like it), one option you can do is have the ring lands hard anodized for further strength.

Good luck!
$.02

Wifey said:
Go for it, it is your engine, just send me the block when the holes appear as I can use a new coffe table :D :D

Nice, now thats cold blooded!!:D :D

Here is a pic of a stock piston from my engine:

Picture006-1-1.jpg

When I change mine I will post picks. They where good when they did the crank 4k miles ago so we shall see short term if any.

DevilDawg3097 said:
When I change mine I will post picks. They where good when they did the crank 4k miles ago so we shall see short term if any.

Be careful with that Roe Matt;) It's already got one under it's belt:D :banghead: :banghead:

All ten of my pistons had ring land damage...it was still running well when I tore it down to forge it...the sleeves were holding the land pieces in place...I was one high rev from Boom...

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back