Ceramic Coated pistons and FI problems.

Prof said:
All ten of my pistons had ring land damage...it was still running well when I tore it down to forge it...the sleeves were holding the land pieces in place...I was one high rev from Boom...

I can't be too far behind you Roy. Yours was the first ROE, and mine was the second. I should have the available funds for my build in a month or so... hopefully. Good thing mines not really being driven right now.

LoveThisTruck said:
I can't be too far behind you Roy. Yours was the first ROE, and mine was the second. I should have the available funds for my build in a month or so... hopefully. Good thing mines not really being driven right now.
Thats what is givin mine a longer life winter, I'll be doin it after christmas.:rock: Now I am just torn between my bed or that awsome hood:dontknow:

Last time I drove mine my buddy was behind me, and said when I put my foot in it it smoked a bit. Just wondering what mine looks like after almost 90k hard fun N/A miles. Hopefully going to go forged this sping and we'll see. Do you thin this might have sothing to do with it. I do know it Dont know how hard that would be on it with detination? Or if its just valve seals or rings or what, but now Im gonna try not to drive it much till I can go forged.

linemup said:
Last time I drove mine my buddy was behind me, and said when I put my foot in it it smoked a bit. Just wondering what mine looks like after almost 90k hard fun N/A miles. Hopefully going to go forged this sping and we'll see. Do you thin this might have sothing to do with it. I do know it Dont know how hard that would be on it with detination? Or if its just valve seals or rings or what, but now Im gonna try not to drive it much till I can go forged.
It is hard to say because some na's have gone, but in my opinoin it is probabally rings if it was sooty color, but with these pistons it is hard to tell.

He said it was blue, thats what scares my. Im hoping it was just a little tire smoke mixture.

Blue is a rich mixture so it could just be valves and ring combo, plus 90k on a High Performance motor very good, just time for a rebuild.

Ive gotta go forged anyway, just wanted to make sure I can drive it till then.

With our ring lands no coating want help at all, the ring lands are just too thin to accomidate FI too long,

Linemup has taken very good care of his as well as a few others, alot of it really depends on the tune.

coating is normally done for friction and longevity of the piston itself

linemup said:
Did I mention I love my truck, oh yea and stinks challenger!
next time you see Nickey hayden up there, kick him in the knee for me and tell him my wife still hasnt forgotten about him running her off the track at atlanta:p

Stinker said:
next time you see Nickey hayden up there, kick him in the knee for me and tell him my wife still hasnt forgotten about him running her off the track at atlanta:p

Ill do it. We see him at the ciropractor everyonce in a while. My wife dated him in high school so he'll understand.;)

linemup said:
Ill do it. We see him at the ciropractor everyonce in a while. My wife dated him in high school so he'll understand.;)
LOLOL Nickey is cool as all get out, I am so proud he got where he is , heck all the hayden boys:rock:
but damn they were a pain in the ass when they were small:D

Stinker said:
LOLOL Nickey is cool as all get out, I am so proud he got where he is , heck all the hayden boys:rock:
but damn they were a pain in the ass when they were small:D
Joanne was already my road racing hero, but to find she has raced with Nicky Hayden is almost more than I can stand........Damn, Joanne I think i'm in love:rock: :rock:

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I will hold out even though I believe a mild Paxton @ 7si, and coated pistons would hold up a while.

MG42pillbox said:
Thanks for the opinions everyone. I will hold out even though I believe a mild Paxton @ 7si, and coated pistons would hold up a while.

if u are in there for coating just replace them. i seen 700 whp abused with slicks and lived but it was not a daily driver. many people do not have the means to do what i have seen done week after week day after day so if u are going to coat them, just pull and replace them.

Voodoo said:
if u are in there for coating just replace them. i seen 700 whp abused with slicks and lived but it was not a daily driver. many people do not have the means to do what i have seen done week after week day after day so if u are going to coat them, just pull and replace them.

yea, I guess it makes sense to change the rods too. :slug:

The rods are good up to 700 plus if you dont plan on going above 700hp and you change the pistons and rings I think you'll be good to go pistons you can do inframe rods and pistons dont recomend with this motor if your gonna do rods also pull the motor and get good bearings.

Wifey said:
Go for it, it is your engine, just send me the block when the holes appear as I can use a new coffe table :D :D

I got seconds:rock: :rock: :rock: :rock: :rock:

DevilDawg3097 said:
The rods are good up to 700 plus if you dont plan on going above 700hp and you change the pistons and rings I think you'll be good to go pistons you can do inframe rods and pistons dont recomend with this motor if your gonna do rods also pull the motor and get good bearings.

Why Don’t I just putt another Viper engine in the bed, get some kind of transfer-case system to combine the power and call it a day.…. I think it would be cheaper :slug:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back