Clutch problem?

ViperPete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive never owned anything long enough to need a clutch so I have never experienced this problem.

Sometimes when I am at a light and I rev the truck and then press the clutch it feels like the clutch "sticks" to the floor a little bit. Or it doesn't return to the normal position until the revs come down.

I checked the clutch fluid and its full.

Any ideas?

This isn't a fix all for every clutch problem but I have seen it fix a lot of issues related to the clutch, when is the last time you bled the hydraulics?

This isn't a fix all for every clutch problem but I have seen it fix a lot of issues related to the clutch, when is the last time you bled the hydraulics?

Never.

The clutch holds fine in all gears, not smoke, no funny smells- Its just occasionally the pedal feels mushy.

It just started happening all of a sudden you know? Maybe the throw out bearing? If I have to pull it apart i'll probably just get another clutch but if I can avoid that, that would be good.

I would try bleeding the hydraulics before you do anything else. That fluid gets nasty by the slave cylinder and in the lines, bleed until it's all flushed out just make sure the reservoir doesn't run dry.

I would try bleeding the hydraulics before you do anything else. That fluid gets nasty by the slave cylinder and in the lines, bleed until it's all flushed out just make sure the reservoir doesn't run dry.

Fluid looked completely clear to me, but I can bleed it.

I've never bled a RWD vehicle before. Would you mind going through the steps for me real quick?

It is simple with 2 people, still doable by yourself but you'll need a mity vac or something similar. The bleeder is in the top opening of the bell housing. I prefer to do one push of the pedal as pumping the pedal turns potential air pockets into smaller bubbles throughout. (my opinion only and I have no scientific proof to back it up). Bleed in a similar method to bleeding brakes. I also recommend running a hose from the bleeder to a clear bottle so you can see what's coming out. When the fluid appears to come out of the bleeder clear, you are good to go. Also make sure you top off the fluid as you go and never run the reservoir dry.

Its easier to do this with 2 people. Have your wife on the clutch pedal while your underneath the truck during the open/closing of the slave screw.

In my opinion your slave is likely going out especially if you have the stock plastic slave. Mine started doing what yours is doing but I didnt think much about it, then eventually it didnt want to go into gear every once in a while and then eventually it didnt go into gear at all I almost could have died because I was about to turn in front a semi but something told me NOPE, dont do it and im glad I didnt as when I did go to put it into gear NADA.

At this point the brake fluid had leaked all out I topped it off and was able to get it back home thankfully as I was just leaving my neighborhood.

Anyway, I just ordered the JMB clutch hydraulics upgrade and will sending the truck up the road to ARD to have them put it in. Just waiting for it to ship from JMB at this point.

Oh when I bleed mine after I got it home this chunky white paste came out, not good. Looking at the maintence reports on my truck, I did see where the slave/master was replaced at 30k but they put the stock stuff back in it. So at another 50k it has went out again, so this is the 3rd time it will be replaced.

I gotta do mine too. I never done them on the truck yet.

Your boots tore up? Mine arent making any noises but the boots are ripped open and my alignment shop told me last summer that I should get around to replacing them before they do start making noise plus the thought of them just snapping apart out of the blue is scary enough.

Well.... I have ordered a new slave for mine (trans was coming out to do the second gear synchro so figured what the heck right?) and I have found my throwout bearing has quite a bit of play on it and doesn't quite sound the new one when turned at all. I'm assuming it is starting/is failing. I was having this same issue you are. Granted I had not tried bleeding because I knew the transmission was coming out this year and figured I would do it at that time (only started with about 1/4th of summer left). As to if the bearing is the cause I have no clue, but just what I found on mine over the weekend.

Hopefully a bleed will fix it though. Follow what people have said above and that should at least give you an idea.

My TOB has had a lot of play since day one. I have to let the clutch out slowly while not in gear at red lights or else its quite chatty.

Ah. Than maybe that wasn't my failure, and mine might have just been needed bled. Just something I noticed on mine when it came out. I can't wait to get my transmissions back fill it up and drive the wheels off of it :)

My TOB has had a lot of play since day one. I have to let the clutch out slowly while not in gear at red lights or else its quite chatty.

For you I'd start with bleeding it first and see if that fixes any of the symptoms. If not go ahead and set some money aside for the hydraulic upgrade.

For you I'd start with bleeding it first and see if that fixes any of the symptoms. If not go ahead and set some money aside for the hydraulic upgrade.

You think I really need to do that? The stock one has been fine for a few years now and it came off of a 2005 truck

You think I really need to do that? The stock one has been fine for a few years now and it came off of a 2005 truck

You need to bleed it and get some clean fluid in there and see if that resolves the problem first. Hopefully it does, if not your on borrowed time. The stock hydraulics are weak thus the upgrade kits the vendor's created.

i agree with what's said - bleed it all out - or even have a shop flush the hydraulics and clean them. clear fluid is your first "check" but smaller contaminants could still be in the lines and cleaning the system is a bonus.

i've run stock hydraulics and aftermarket - had failures on both.

if i had a stock truck, i'd put stock back in it...

if i had a stock truck, i'd put stock back in it...

I figure that when I slap a blower on the truck (which may be several years) i'll upgrade stuff, but for the meantime i'll probably just go with stock stuff. I like the feel and its not as expensive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back