Clutch question

chaynick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I got the new OEM clutch installed about a month and a half ago. i broke it in and as of now i have about 1500 miles on it. But during a heavy acceleration i can still smell it. Is it normal or i just don't know how to drive a stick shift?

Are you holding it in or riding the clutch under heavy acceleration?

Lucky for me the clutch I got for my truck was broken in already so I don't have to worry about the smell as much as I have to worry about making it last.

Lucky for me the clutch I got for my truck was broken in already so I don't have to worry about the smell as much as I have to worry about making it last.

Thread hijack. So have you driven it yet? No update on build thread,I am itching to know if it lived up to a year plus of expectation.

Thread hijack. So have you driven it yet? No update on build thread,I am itching to know if it lived up to a year plus of expectation.

In haven't yet unfortunately. It's still in the process of completion and awaiting parts to say it's 100% complete. But I promise there will be many pictures and details once it's all done.

If you can smell the clutch, you are slipping it. It should be either disengaged, like when your foot is full on the pedal to put it in gear, or fully engaged, like with your foot off it. It smells when you slip the clutch.
Are you using it to hold you on a hill?

I have a brand new centerforce in mine, I put 500 miles on it so far and I have had clutch smell 3 times with it. Always when I was taking off from a slight incline. My last ride out I didn't get any smell so I assume it's getting better.

If you can smell the clutch, you are slipping it. It should be either disengaged, like when your foot is full on the pedal to put it in gear, or fully engaged, like with your foot off it. It smells when you slip the clutch.
Are you using it to hold you on a hill?

No. Last time the trans was in 3rd at about 2500rpm when I accelerated.

I have a Viper hydraulics also. What would happen if the shop forgot to reinstall the slave shim?

Only time mine smells is when I'm moving the truck back and forth in a weird parking spot or something like that. Very rare occurrence.

If you can smell a clutch, it is slipping.

Clutches were meant for riding, slipping, and burning. That's why they are replaceable. :D:driver::burnout:

Clutches were meant for riding, slipping, and burning. That's why they are replaceable. :D:driver::burnout:

You should probably have one on the shelf for backup now that your truck has a clutch.:congrats::congrats::congrats:

I have a Viper hydraulics also. What would happen if the shop forgot to reinstall the slave shim?

Your clutch wont totally disengage and you will smell clutch burning during high rpm shifts.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back