COMPUTER HELP PLEASE

Wifey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

For some reason the monitor on our computer (desktop) comes on for a second and then goes back off again.

Before that happened, it was "flickering" a little. Jerry did a system restore and then it worked fine until this morning, now it will only come on intermittently for a couple seconds. The "on light" is green.

It almost seems like it comes on, then goes into sleep mode right away. How can I tell what's going on if I can't SEE anything?

Does it sound like a virus??

Any ideas are welcome ............

Thank You

Do you have more then one computer or monitor? If so then swap monitors to narrow down the problem.

One of two things, either your video card is failing or the monitor is.

The only other computer/monitor I have is my laptop and I don't know if that would help

It seems that when I click the monitor on and off real fast several times, it will finally show the screen for about 1 second. I was able to do it until I could click the IE Icon and it connects to the internet and then off it goes again

I am wondering if I should take the monitor over to Best Buy to have it tested?

Sounds more like the monitor is failing. You should be able to hook it up to your laptop to test it yourself.

If the green light is on when there is nothing showing, I would guess one of three possibilities:

1. The cable from the monitor to the computer is loose on either end.

2. The video card has an issue.

3. The monitor is indeed failing.

Is the monitor one of the CRT's or is it a newer LCD Flat screen??

ntw0rk said:
If the green light is on when there is nothing showing, I would guess one of three possibilities:

1. The cable from the monitor to the computer is loose on either end.

2. The video card has an issue.

3. The monitor is indeed failing.

Is the monitor one of the CRT's or is it a newer LCD Flat screen??

The monitor is a newer 17" LCD flat screen

Thw weird part is when I click the on off button real fast, I can hear the beep when it comes on and off - then it will stay on for about 1 second before it goes black again. I am thinking of order ing a new monitor ( I have a Dell account), but if the card is bad I don't think that will help.

I'm kinda scared to hook it to my lap top because the lap top is the life line right now - not for post hoing :p :p :p but for ebay

Is there a way to tell if it's the card or the monitor?

Wifey said:
The monitor is a newer 17" LCD flat screen

Thw weird part is when I click the on off button real fast, I can hear the beep when it comes on and off - then it will stay on for about 1 second before it goes black again. I am thinking of order ing a new monitor ( I have a Dell account), but if the card is bad I don't think that will help.

I'm kinda scared to hook it to my lap top because the lap top is the life line right now - not for post hoing :p :p :p but for ebay

If you hook it to the laptop, you can choose to use 2 monitor, and you should be able to tell if it is working correctly. There is little chance that it will adversely affect the laptop.

This is what it's gonna be like on February 17th if I don't get my converter box hooked up :eek: :eek:

ntw0rk said:
If you hook it to the laptop, you can choose to use 2 monitor, and you should be able to tell if it is working correctly. There is little chance that it will adversely affect the laptop.
I have a Panasonic Tough Book laptop - I will see if the monitor will plug into it - do I need to configure anything or is it as easy as plug it in and see if it works?

Do I shut the laptop off first?

Stagethree said:
Does your monitor have any other (RCA) inputs?

If so try hookin' it up to your cable or some other video output, VCR etc.
I will look at the monitor and see what it has, I don't have cable (I'm on rabbit ears) and I only have a DVD player - will that do it?

If the monitor has inputs should work.

Easiest is to hook it up to your laptop.

BUT, Might have to go in control panel ..I think?

If so, you can't see it....:dontknow:

Depends on your video card configuration.

Wifey said:
I have a Panasonic Tough Book laptop - I will see if the monitor will plug into it - do I need to configure anything or is it as easy as plug it in and see if it works?

Do I shut the laptop off first?

Turn off monitor power, and connect to the laptop. Turn the monitor back on.

This link might help with the rest:
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000801.htm

Your laptop keyboard probably has some little icons on the function keys or other keys showing a tiny picture of a monitor. Once it's hooked up, use Fn-<WHATEVER>, CTRL-<WHATEVER> or ALT-<WHATEVER> to toggle to the external monitor.

I hooked up the monitor to my laptop - When I toggle the buttons (Fn F3) it comes on for a second and then goes off again. Now the green light stays on and the screen goes black...

must be the monitor not the card????

Wifey said:
I hooked up the monitor to my laptop - When I toggle the buttons (Fn F3) it comes on for a second and then goes off again. Now the green light stays on and the screen goes black...

must be the monitor not the card????
You got it. That's troubleshooting 101 right there!

Getting a new monitor, thanks to a special friend! D :D :D

If the old one can ever be fixed, I can hook it up and have two like I have at work. Now that is an experience that takes some getting used to :marchmellow:

Wifey, just be careful buying a new monitor. Sometimes it can be the monitor and the card. Got a neighbor that has a computer? Just borrow the monitor to test. Just a recommendation.

can you hook up the computer to your TV.....using the tv as a monitor?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back