Cooling Problems???

srt10onfire

Reaction score
Absolutely love my truck!! Bought my 04 RC in 2008 with 7000 miles on it. I only drive it in the summer months and just turned 23000 miles on it now.
Up til the end of last summer it NEVER ran over 200 degrees. I parked it for the winter and now decided two weeks ago to replace the t-stat, so I replaced it with another 185 t-stat. I bled the air out (multiple times) and made sure to top off the fluid. It doesn't matter what the outside temp is, 80 or 45....the temp will run anywhere from 185 to 206ish but fluctuates anywhere in between with no apparent rime or reason. I had a friend plug into the computer to verify that the temp and gauge is reading accurately, which it is, as he did get a high reading of 206.
Could there be a problem with the hydraulic cooling fan causing this to happen?
I've been reading that there is an adjustment that can be made to start and stop the cooling fan at different temps. Could this somehow have changed and should I try adjusting this, and how should I go about doing it????
Any help would be appreciated!!!!!:)

You should have put a 170 t-stat in, but it could just be the difference between one t-stat and another. I don't see a problem.

You need a tune to turn the fan on high sooner......

I stayed with a stock 185 t-stat because I didn't have any problems with it for 4 years, and I thought it might have gone bad. So I hoped the new 185 t-stat would fix the problem but it didn't change anything. Now I know the original 185 t-stat was ok.

I stayed with a stock 185 t-stat because I didn't have any problems with it for 4 years, and I thought it might have gone bad. So I hoped the new 185 t-stat would fix the problem but it didn't change anything. Now I know the original 185 t-stat was ok.

The 170 t-stat is just alittle better performance with a tune.

Torrie or Chris can send you a tune. You need an SCT tuner though. Either could sell you one with the tune.:)

It works off your power steering pump which is known to leak at top fitting. Check your fluid level. Also check radiator for cleanliness. A plastic bag blown up off the road can cause overheating issues too. Radiator cap would be another inexpensive try :)
Fluctuating almost sounds like air although you said you've bled multiple times. Do you have the heat on while filling and bleeding? Heater core will hold air often as well. Often times if you bleed on an inclined driveway you can force air from bleeder easier.;)

Last edited:
I will check the fluid in the power steering pump in the a.m. Also I did put a new 16lb radiator cap on last Thursday. That didn't change anything either. I have a pedalstal fan set up at work and at home that I have adjusted to the height of the radiator so I can readily turn the fan on and have it blowing on the radiator up close, with the hood open, the next time my truck is running 200+ degrees and see if it cools it down. This should tell me if the fan is working correctly. Any thoughts??

I always use regular heat not defroster but not sure that matters. Fans barely ever come on in most until 215 or so. Otherwise they may just kinda do an idle speed. When they kick on its like a tornado. Mine stays 185-190 year round with out ever moving or fluctuating. That's in Texas 110 degree summers too. Assume you're using the red Mopar coolant correct?:confused:

Isnt that normal operating temps? I dont see the problem here. The SRT engineers stated these engines can run as high as 220 before you need to start worrying. Lower temps are awesome and really good for peace of mind, but your temps are not an issue.

Isnt that normal operating temps? I dont see the problem here. The SRT engineers stated these engines can run as high as 220 before you need to start worrying. Lower temps are awesome and really good for peace of mind, but your temps are not an issue.

Its not normal to fluctuate temps. It should warm up to about 185-195 and stay there. I agree its not overheating by any means and is safe, but something ain't quite correct.

Its not normal to fluctuate temps. It should warm up to about 185-195 and stay there. I agree its not overheating by any means and is safe, but something ain't quite correct.

Right on, Im now wondering how extreme the fluctuations are. Obviously its going to be different running 80 in a low rpm vs. sitting at a red light for 10 minutes. There might be an issue, or it could just be normal fluctuations from different driving conditions and hes just now noticing it. Hopefully he'll keep us posted.

You should probably change the thermostat again. It might be faulty. I thought the stock stat is 195 F? We normally go to a 170 F stat. Running a colder than stock temp. stat. will require a tune or the temps will fluctuate as the engine temp will climb until the high speed fan kicks in at it's preset temp. I think it is at 220 F. installing a colder stat will help prevent detonation and/or accept a little more timing in the tune for more performance. A new tune is required with a stat change.

I haven't run the truck since late yesterday afternoon, and I finally had a chance now to check the power steering fluid and it is 7/16" above the cold mark on the stem. Since I bought the truck in January 2008, it always ran 185-190 until fall of last year. This is when, for whatever unknown reason, it started running over 200 at times and fluctuating. I can drive it around 8 miles from work to home and in that 8 miles, more often than not, it will fluctuate in temperature. Whereas before last fall it never would do that. Something ain't quite correct!!! :mad:
I agree 100% that the temperature shouldn't be fluctuating at least as much as it is now because it did not do that before. And it doesn't matter if it is 40 degrees or 90 degrees outside it still fluctuates.
I need to resolve this! It is driving me CRAZY!!!!!!

Last edited:
I would pressure check the system and check for small leaks.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back