Cooling Problems???

For what it's worth is try and turn your system on full blast hear out if the vents, instead if defogger setting. I'm thinking air could be in your system still. I've seen engines say they're overheating even because if an air pocket that get by temp sensor. Air will read way hot as opposed to cooled fluid. I'm betting it rises when the air pocket gets to the sensor ;-)

For what it's worth is try and turn your system on full blast hear out if the vents, instead if defogger setting. I'm thinking air could be in your system still. I've seen engines say they're overheating even because if an air pocket that get by temp sensor. Air will read way hot as opposed to cooled fluid. I'm betting it rises when the air pocket gets to the sensor ;-)
I'm going to give this a try. :)

Could be time for some if you that don't drive much or at all through the winter to change TStats. Even prior to tune, as well as with, mine gets to 185-190 and stays!! It does NOT fluctuate like most other newer model cars/trucks!! My fan rarely ever comes on at full speed if ever. It basically just kinda rotates :)
I have tried tunes before that had fans in full blast all the time and not only is it loud and annoying, as it produces a slight vibration and hum and sounds like a tornado under the hood, but it also robs power when on high!
I suggest 170-180 TStats and cleaning externally of radiator. Not a bad idea to drain and look into radiator as well to see core passages and if clogging is present.

Curious to know whether y'all are tuned or not as well. :)
If I were to pull out the 185 t-stat that I just put in and then put in a 170 t-stat, exactly what do I need to do to get "TUNED". I'm guessing the "TUNED" part is to take a part of the computer out of the truck and have it recalibrated???? Is there anyone around the southeastern part of Wisconsin that is reliable on getting this "TUNED"?

If I were to pull out the 185 t-stat that I just put in and then put in a 170 t-stat, exactly what do I need to do to get "TUNED". I'm guessing the "TUNED" part is to take a part of the computer out of the truck and have it recalibrated???? Is there anyone around the southeastern part of Wisconsin that is reliable on getting this "TUNED"?

Yes it's inside PCM and fan settings are lowered a bit. Torrie or Chris can tune them. They are close to the only ones who can.

You call or email an SCT tuner supplier. Then you talk with the representative about your mods and your expectations. He will send out a tuner with 3 predetermined tunes on it. You plug it into the OBD 2 port and follow the i structions . upload a tune to the inboard PCM and you are set!!

My B&G Stage2 PCM also has the fan cooling sooner on low or high as needed. I just installed a 170* thermostat Sat and now the truck stays 170-180 and fan only has come on low speed not high/hurricane setting as with the OE stat.

This funnel works great for bleeding any coolant system. [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24610-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B001A4EAV0]Lisle 24610 Spill-Free Funnel : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

I replace the radiator cap with it and let the car/truck get to operating temp for 10 minutes or so. Let it cool for an hour or two and repeat the process. I'm not sure I would mess with the 170 thermostat considering you live in a cooler state. You're not doing any harm letting the truck run at 190-200 degrees.

When is the last time the serpentine belt was changed? Maybe it is slipping a little. Just a guess if nothing else seems bad, i.e. water pump, fan clutch.

Very inexpensive part and should be changed if it has not ever been done.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've been reading on this forum, there should be 2 speeds, a low and a high on the hydraulic fan?? My fan runs, but I'm starting to think it is only running on the low speed because you can see it running, but it is so quiet you CANNOT hear it. The temp will go to about
205 -210ish and the fan still seams to be at the same speed as when it reaches 190.
I have never heard the fan sounding like a tornado or hurricane. Is there a way to check and verify this?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I've been reading on this forum, there should be 2 speeds, a low and a high on the hydraulic fan?? My fan runs, but I'm starting to think it is only running on the low speed because you can see it running, but it is so quiet you CANNOT hear it. The temp will go to about
205 -210ish and the fan still seams to be at the same speed as when it reaches 190.
I have never heard the fan sounding like a tornado or hurricane. Is there a way to check and verify this?

Yes there are a few speeds but they won't come on till like 218 or so. Your fans are working correctly and like I posted earlier, will only barely turn when temps are sufficient. Still thinking air in system or too much water in coolant mix.

More water in the coolant mix will make it run cooler, not hotter. I also believe it's air.

That's true up to a certain point, as water cools great but will boil and our engine run 20* from waters boiling point! Coolant has better ability to keep mixture cool and stable rather than boil. I water is the best coolant but has nothing to keep it stable. The perfect combination of coolant/water makes for a happy cooling system and engine IMO. Try to run water only and see where that gets ya! Try coolant with no water and be just as bad off. Too much water and the ability to keep the coolant around T Stat temps is lost and rising temps occur. Neither instance will " overheat" the engine, rather not let it operate at a steady efficient temp.

That's true up to a certain point, as water cools great but will boil and our engine run 20* from waters boiling point! Coolant has better ability to keep mixture cool and stable rather than boil. I water is the best coolant but has nothing to keep it stable. The perfect combination of coolant/water makes for a happy cooling system and engine IMO. Try to run water only and see where that gets ya! Try coolant with no water and be just as bad off. Too much water and the ability to keep the coolant around T Stat temps is lost and rising temps occur. Neither instance will " overheat" the engine, rather not let it operate at a steady efficient temp.

All very good points:)

Hence my "mix ratio". I developed it during my trackdays here in the Arizona heat. NEVER an issue with my mix on a racetrack running a 78 cubic inch aluminum engine at over 200 h.p. ;)

I agree, but it seems like the OP has a good grasp on his mixture. I only run 35-45% coolant in my mixture and have no issues.

I agree, but it seems like the OP has a good grasp on his mixture. I only run 35-45% coolant in my mixture and have no issues.

Do y'all have fluctuating temps? That's what he worries about and mine never moves I tell ya. Good bleed and perfect coolant/distilled water mix is important :)

Mine fluctuates when going from highway/interstate to city driving, but that's going to happen due to better airflow..

Do y'all have fluctuating temps? That's what he worries about and mine never moves I tell ya. Good bleed and perfect coolant/distilled water mix is important :)

No fluctuation what so ever. Always right around 180-190 on the gauge. Will creep above when sitting in traffic. Only had my fan turn on high once after driving down the freeway in 111 deg. summer afternoon with A/C on. Pulled into my driveway and after a minute of idleing, fan came on high.

Torrie has my fan set at 192.2 (89 C).

Cheers!

Was this issue ever resolved? My coolant fluctuates also and I want to see what was done to fix this!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back