Cooling Problems???

if your not having to replace coolant, I'm not seeing a real issue, I agree with Venemous1 in the fact its not 100% but I wouldnt stress it yet.

Set up an aftermarket gauge to check the one you are using. Maybe the sending unit it toast or a bad gauge.

he said he used a data logger to verify the reading. Is the radiator full when you remove the cap? If not you have air in the system via a small leak

LOL... for sure no rats or roaches...just continued fluctuation in temperture :mad:....it would be easier to fix the rat and roach problem...LOL.
The temperature and gauge have been verified to be correct. even tho I only have 24000 ish miles on the truck, any thoughts on the water pump that was mentioned???? Also the radiator is always full when I take the radiator cap off, and I haven't been low on coolant.

Last edited:
I drove the truck home (about 8 mile ride) from work tonight and made one stop at a store just past half way home. The first half of the drive, the temp reached 185ish and held steady WITHOUT ANY fluctuation, until I arrived at the store. About 15 minutes later I left the store and finished the drive home, and then the temp reached 185 and continued just past 200 and by time I pulled in the driveway the temp was heading back towards the 185ish temp.
There has to be a reason why?:mad:
Maybe I need to move closer to work lol.

New coolant/water mix I take it. What percentage of water vs coolant? How did you bleed it. These trucks will fluctuate pretty good when going from cruising to a stop. At least it's not overheating...

50% new mopar coolant, 50% distilled water. I bled it about 7 - 8 times while the engine was running and hot by connecting a clear 6 foot long piece of tubing to the bleeder screw on top of the t-stat housing, down to a 1 gallon empty jug on the ground. With the defroster set on high heat and high fan speed, I opened the bleeder screw with a 3/8" open end wrench until the fluid starting flowing. Usually air bubbles at first and then flowed until it was just fluid. I would add fluid mixture into the reservoir when it would get below half.

my truck does the same thing i didnt know it was a problem i run 185 when im going but in traffic i go a smidge past 200 then it will go right back down. Thought it was normal because my bike does the same thing hits 220 fans kick in till it reach's 190 then shuts off, but when crusing and air is going it stays at 187. I know they are 2 totally different things things just thought it was normal. So do I need to take my truck in to go get looked at?

My 06 does the same thing...180ish at hwy speed...will climb to 200ish while sitting at a stop light..only time I heard the fan was on my way home from buying it, and that was with the pos vollant cai on it- its in the trash now!!

I really don't think there's a problem here. Temps are normal, and the fluctuation is normal. As long as its not going back and forth for no reason, everything's fine. The temps will change depending on how you drive. Your truck will reach about 200 then the fan will kick on and bring it back down to 185-190 so I don't see the problem here..

How does the hydraulic cooling fan actually work? I know its plumbed into the power steering pump, but how does it work?

My 06 does the same thing...180ish at hwy speed...will climb to 200ish while sitting at a stop light..only time I heard the fan was on my way home from buying it, and that was with the pos vollant cai on it- its in the trash now!!

Feels good to read this lol mine is same way I've been sort of worried but after searching forums and seeing similar experiences... I feel better lol
sent: Thinking Hmmm What Can I Do Next

How does the hydraulic cooling fan actually work? I know its plumbed into the power steering pump, but how does it work?

If I had to guess, there is a sensor that, at a certain temp, lets the power steering pump drive fluid through a valve into an enclosed chamber containing a small turbine that drives the fan. Just a guess, thats how some military vehicles work anyway.

Last edited:
how do you go about testing or check the hydraulic cooling fan to make sure that it's working correctly? Is there a proceedure?

drive it till it gets hot and you hear the fan come on, should be around 200 degrees. May have to drive it hard to get the temps up.

My truck has started doing the exact same thing. I figured it was the warmer temps. Of course, I am always looking for something to go wrong, but I think its okay. Being vigilant though.

Could be time for some if you that don't drive much or at all through the winter to change TStats. Even prior to tune, as well as with, mine gets to 185-190 and stays!! It does NOT fluctuate like most other newer model cars/trucks!! My fan rarely ever comes on at full speed if ever. It basically just kinda rotates :)
I have tried tunes before that had fans in full blast all the time and not only is it loud and annoying, as it produces a slight vibration and hum and sounds like a tornado under the hood, but it also robs power when on high!
I suggest 170-180 TStats and cleaning externally of radiator. Not a bad idea to drain and look into radiator as well to see core passages and if clogging is present.

Curious to know whether y'all are tuned or not as well. :)

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back