COOLING SYSTEM QUESTION!

500snakz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the 10 at the dealer. To make this quick, I'll just say that I have lost trust in my dealer after managment changes.
After a repair the dealer calls and says the truck is running hot. It wasn't running hot before the repair. The cooling system was drained to make the repair of the re-circulation door.

My question is: Is there any special coolants or procedures that should be done when re-filling the system that may have been overlooked?

The tech says it is running around 210 when idling...it used to stay around 180-185 idling especially in these cold temps.

Oh yeah...the temp here is in the 30's...:dontknow:

Thanks for any help.

you dont have to drain the cooling system to replace the recirc door. mine always runs between 200-210 (i have the factory t-stat and my pcm is programmed to turn on the fans at factory specs)

They replaced a part on all the doors. Drained cooling system and took out the whole dash. The draining of the coolant may not be necessary but thats what they did. Does it take any special coolant? I did add a bottle of the red line water wetter during the summer.
Just don't know why it would run hotter then it was before? They actually called me and let me know.

they may just want to keep the truck and work on it some more!! take it out and drive it and see what is different. they don't know the truck. if they did drain the coolant, keep an eye on drips under it , after it is parked for awhile, and on the overflow jug. keep it all topped up. listen for rattles from the dash !!! make sure they did a proper job of the dash reinstallation. just my 2 cents...

I think there is an additive because of the all aluminum design. They might have air in the system, this would cause it to run hot. FYI, mine is a stock 04 and it runs 200-210.

They replaced a part on all the doors. Drained cooling system and took out the whole dash. The draining of the coolant may not be necessary but thats what they did. Does it take any special coolant? I did add a bottle of the red line water wetter during the summer.
Just don't know why it would run hotter then it was before? They actually called me and let me know.

its running hottter most likely because it is sitting inside idleing? jsut a guess

alot of times the tech will crank it , let it run to check for leaks , inside no air circulation,so it may run a touch warmer sitting inside, or if you had the puter flashed for the fan to come on earlier, they could have flashed an update, that they may not tell you, but most likely its because its just sitting

Surely they know about the air bleed valve on top of the thermostat housing??

Last edited:
The tech working on it is a viper certified tech. I'll be sure and ask about the bleed off valve anyway.

Thanks guys.:rock:

The tech working on it is a viper certified tech. I'll be sure and ask about the bleed off valve anyway.

Thanks guys.:rock:

A so-called certified viper tech worked on mine and over-filled it with oil (put in over 10 qts ! :eek: ) while it was getting the 4.88's installed at a dealership

I left very specific instructions when I brought it in and also left a note on top of the oil specifying the exact amount to put in when they did the oil/filter change.

Never trust anyone.Always verify !

The air bleed is critical !

did that fix the prob???:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

Recirc doors fixed. Dealer tore BOTH door panels and now the steering column is loose...
DAMNIT!

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back