Crank Snout a bit rough.. Now?

The same thing happened to me but, mine wasn't that bad. I smoothed the end of the crank out, bought a new Harmonic Balencer some locktite and put it back on. The only other thing that i did different is in stead of the 1/16 or 1/8 pins that comes with paxton kits i used 1/4 pins. So that it don't happen again ( I Hope).If you have the 5/8 bolt in the crank torque it to 250lb and if you have the 20mm bolt it goes at 150lb and don't be skimpy with locktite.you shouldn't have a problem. The hardest thing about doing all of this was drilling the 1/4 hole with a right angle drill so that way i didn't have to remove anything. Sean at Roe Racing sells these kits with everything you need.

i love my truck.. dont want to sell.. dont want to cause more damage.. really want to build.. living on a single income till the wife finishes grad scool with 70k in student loans.. i am considering doing what devildawg did. except i'll pull the motor

dude, just put a new frigging dampener on it you will be fine.. everyone here is talks the worst of the worst ,,,, put it on and you will not regret it... save your money..

505'sFastestViper. said:
i hope to be trapping 150-160 and will not stop until i do!!!
Dude I would have to say between you and fstjack you 2 could be the first trucks to run the outlaw series.(except the limit on 10.5 inch slicks)

McLuvin said:
i love my truck.. dont want to sell.. dont want to cause more damage.. really want to build.. living on a single income till the wife finishes grad scool with 70k in student loans.. i am considering doing what devildawg did. except i'll pull the motor
To be honest when I first put the roe one and everyone was telling me the same thing(even tough I planned on forging it) I thought they where full of shit too. Until I seen a melted pitson. Lets compare the crank to your heart. What happens when you have anbnormal heart beat, the doctor tells you, you can do strenous activity but with that irradic beat you could by the farm at anytime by pushing the limits. Well what people dont realize is your crank in your motor is exactly that your heart beat for the motor. If this was a hemi or chevy or ford then yeah you maybe able to push the enevelope for a while. But these aint no chevy or hemi. I know mine is an 04 with only 3000 made so you get where I am going. even if you just do the crank, at least you will know what it will take to do the rest. Its more than a truck. Also for you and the rest look up the shit the engineers had to do make the only aluminum v10 block and it is all based on the balance of the crank. But in the end it is up to you.

Matt speaks the truth...balance in this engine is incredibly important...the slightest side torque or pressure can cause sever problems. My builder has been building Viper racing engines for Archer Racing and Arrow for years. He will not even build a Viper engine on an engine stand...he builds them on a table to avoid torque in the block due to the length of the engine and nature of aluminum...

Your choice...and maybe I am the most conservative of the conservative in this area (that will get some 'gawfs' from a few guys)...but caution if you can find a way financially is the best route.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back