Curious and Confused

VIPR PWR

Supporting Member
Reaction score
:dontknow: Looking at the CIA's and scoop systems on or trucks..I was curious and confused as to why there is not a true sealed ram air system. The closest is the Volant, But still looks like it has areas that are not tight ....I have always heard that a true Ram air system needs to be sealed.... example: shaker hoods and cowl indution systems from past muscle cars. Would a sealed system help in producing a few more HP ???:dontknow:
http://www.ramairhood.com/ram_air_system_comparison.htm More explantion on true Ram air system...

Last edited:
MOPAR makes one...the ducting runs down the underside of the hood.haven't actually seen one,so don't know how "sealed" it is. also wind tunnel tests done by someone showed the area around the scoop not to be favorable for a ram-air system.can't remember all the technical details,try a search the info is here somewhere.

Last edited:
The testing wasn't done in a wind tunnel, but Shawn and Izzy collected some data and I did the analysis.

The short version is that the hood scoop is located in a low pressure area and is more for looks than anything else.

Someone one time actually put some wind indicators on the hood and proved that the scoop on our trucks is in a low pressure area on the hood. Basically just for looks and help cool the engine bay. For the scoop on our trucks to be functional it would have to be closer to the leading edge of the hood. Another example is to compare a 2000 Camaro SS to a Firebird WS6 of the same year. The scoop on the Camaro is in a similar location to ours while on the Firebird it's close to the nose.

The factory air-box setup is actually pretty good on these trucks. The panel behind the front grill directs air into a channel behind the passenger fender, feeding the inlet to the box. With the addition of a K&N (drop-in) filter, I believe this has shown to produce the most HP. Some, if not all, of the "CAI" units actually LOOSE power.... but, they sure do look purdy. :eek: :dontknow:

OK ---after searching the site for more info on this LOL ( Easy Silverback ) I understand more about the high and low pressurer areas and atmospheric pressures... So now ---Who can make a purdy(Jake) CAI Ram air system similar to Justins the goes to the high pressure area at the Grill eliminating the big boxes. Maybe a filter box that replaces the air deflector.
Another thing I found in question was that DC performance did testing on a dyno and found little, no gain or loss of HP... How can this test be conclusive when the vehicle needs to be moveing at speed for a ram air system to be effective?

VIPR PWR said:
OK ---after searching the site for more info on this LOL ( Easy Silverback ) I understand more about the high and low pressurer areas and atmospheric pressures... So now ---Who can make a purdy(Jake) CAI Ram air system similar to Justins the goes to the high pressure area at the Grill eliminating the big boxes. Maybe a filter box that replaces the air deflector.
Another thing I found in question was that DC performance did testing on a dyno and found little, no gain or loss of HP... How can this test be conclusive when the vehicle needs to be moveing at speed for a ram air system to be effective?

Two good issues there... You CAN'T get a good test of true hp on a static dyno, with respect to air filter systems. There is no (minimal) air flow/pressure.

As far as a CAI that places the filter by the grill... there isn't too much room up there. There is a LOT of stuff up there already. :eek:

VIPR PWR said:
fan?:dontknow:

DC performance has what is basically a cone that replaces the passenger side grille blocker that then feeds into a Paxton filter box. I don't see why you couldn't use these same pieces and then have a shop make you a hard pipe to connect to the throttle body. Prop as off the shelf as you can get

Another option would be a cone filter inside the front bumper behind the openings. An aftermarket intake for the Jeep SRT8 is similar to what I'm talking about. You'd have to make sure you don't go blasting through any puddles though.

Racerram9----Who carries them ---that looks like a clean hook up ---are there any pics of the rest of it----Where is the filter located......

Here is a better way to ram the air in:

Candy6.jpg

While I agree that our trucks need a good cold air intake, tying to effectively make a ram air is a waste of time. If you were to put a scoop on the very front of the truck, let's say something like an 18" diameter tube that stuck out in front of the radiator, you still wouldn't get much pressurization. Doing some quick calcualations, here are maximum possible obtainable pressures at various speeds. You would have to be traveling over 240 mph to get even 1 psi.

Attachments

• Air pressure.jpg
    Air pressure.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
VIPR PWR said:
Racerram9----Who carries them ---that looks like a clean hook up ---are there any pics of the rest of it----Where is the filter located......
I did not name where you could get one because I did not know if any of the supporting vendors carry them, didn't take the time too look and didn't feel like pissing someone off that was a supporting member and dose carry them

WOT said:
While I agree that our trucks need a good cold air intake, tying to effectively make a ram air is a waste of time. If you were to put a scoop on the very front of the truck, let's say something like an 18" diameter tube that stuck out in front of the radiator, you still wouldn't get much pressurization. Doing some quick calcualations, here are maximum possible obtainable pressures at various speeds. You would have to be traveling over 240 mph to get even 1 psi.

Where did you come up with the numbers that you posted ?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back