Cylinder 1 & 3 dead

ya got access to a bore scope???

Found my problem. Broken exhaust valve spring on cylinder #1 and broken intake valve spring on cylinder #3. The locks are still on so the valves never dropped (luckily) so I hope this is all the damage there is. I will check the pushrods once I get the replacement parts.

Found my problem. Broken exhaust valve spring on cylinder #1 and broken intake valve spring on cylinder #3. The locks are still on so the valves never dropped (luckily) so I hope this is all the damage there is. I will check the pushrods once I get the replacement parts.

I have a couple low mileage used springs I can send you if you just need something to get by for now.

I talked to Sean today and he told me that Comp just redesigned these springs so I am going to go ahead and change them all. Thanks for the offer though.

I talked to Sean today and he told me that Comp just redesigned these springs so I am going to go ahead and change them all. Thanks for the offer though.

No worries. Let us know when you get her back up and running.

Well I got the replacement springs in and started replacing them. Used a leak down tester to fill the chamber with air and pulled the springs one at a time. Everything was going smoothly until cylinder #1. Pumped up the cylinder to 60psi and it is only holding 30psi. Removed springs and I can rotate the vavles without springs on them and the pressure does not change. I added a few squirts of oil into the chamber and the holding pressure climbed to 40 psi. Looks like I have bad rings as well. Time to pull the motor unless anyone else has any suggestions.

Well I got the replacement springs in and started replacing them. Used a leak down tester to fill the chamber with air and pulled the springs one at a time. Everything was going smoothly until cylinder #1. Pumped up the cylinder to 60psi and it is only holding 30psi. Removed springs and I can rotate the vavles without springs on them and the pressure does not change. I added a few squirts of oil into the chamber and the holding pressure climbed to 40 psi. Looks like I have bad rings as well. Time to pull the motor unless anyone else has any suggestions.

Do you have a borescope that you can take a peek inside? Either way sounds like it has come apart.

Put some 20-50 in her and sell it, then buy a new truck, I heard VPRPWRD has a spare! :D

Put some 20-50 in her and sell it, then buy a new truck, I heard VPRPWRD has a spare! :D

Seethrough's truck isn't going anywhere. I already tried to buy it. :D

Unfortunately due to the air distribution of the Roe they seem to lean out cylinders 1/2 badly. They even have less air going to those cylinders via the plate they designed. Just don't agree that's the cure. Basically the cylinders are never seeing same amount of boost. I wish I had more time to dedicated specifically with the Roe as I love the instant torque and look and WHO DOESN'T
Love that sound? Whoop-whoop!

Do you have a borescope that you can take a peek inside? Either way sounds like it has come apart.

I do have a bore scope but it is a very basic one and I can only capture a portion of the cylinder wall and piston. Pulling the head now to see if I have cylinder damage. This motor has already been bored to 4.050 so if I have any cylinder wall issues it looks like I will be pulling out the spare block and making an appointment with Justin.

The motor is back and getting close to going back into the truck. I took a few shots of it on the engine stand with a standard intake manifold mocked up on it. The Roe/Whipple supercharger setup is going through some modifications but will get put back on once completed.

Nice !!!!

What modifications are you doing to the Roe ?

I am moving the coils and knock sensors from the valley and dropping the Roe manifold bottom down a couple inches then integrating 4 Laminova after coolers into it. I have all the parts and am working with the machinist to get everything built. I will post some pictures as we progress.

I am moving the coils and knock sensors from the valley and dropping the Roe manifold bottom down a couple inches then integrating 4 Laminova after coolers into it. I have all the parts and am working with the machinist to get everything built. I will post some pictures as we progress.

How are you going to get the air to flow over the laminova coils?

How are you going to get the air to flow over the laminova coils?

There are aluminum extrusions that the cores sit in that have slots on both sides for the airflow to pass through. The area inside of the manifold is tight so there will be two cores stacked on each side allowing a plenum in the center where the supercharger output is and then two chambers after each bank of after coolers before the intake ports. It is a little difficult to explain but I will get some pictures taken as we progress. So far the two manifold end caps have been replaced with pieces that are thicker and extend down into the valley roughly 2 inches. I will get some photos of this later this week when I get back to the machine shop.

There are aluminum extrusions that the cores sit in that have slots on both sides for the airflow to pass through. The area inside of the manifold is tight so there will be two cores stacked on each side allowing a plenum in the center where the supercharger output is and then two chambers after each bank of after coolers before the intake ports. It is a little difficult to explain but I will get some pictures taken as we progress. So far the two manifold end caps have been replaced with pieces that are thicker and extend down into the valley roughly 2 inches. I will get some photos of this later this week when I get back to the machine shop.

Cool man. Keep us up to date

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back