Cylinder 1 & 3 dead

Subscribed :rock:

How much boost do you plan to run with this setup ?

Depends on how the after coolers work. Hoping that they will be restrictive enough to help with some of air distribution issues and create a noticeable drop in temperature. Before I mount it I would like to get with Justin/JMB and do a side by side flow bench comparison between the stock setup and this one.

Here is a shot of the Laminova cores. These are only 15" in length so we will have to make couplers and cut them down to around 23".

These are the aluminum extrusions that will support the two stacked cores.

Here is what the stacked cores will look like. The top and bottom supports will be milled so that these sit at about a 30 degree angle creating a V shape in the manifold. The slots on the side are how the air gets through the cores.

One more shot showing the air slot.

Here is an example of how the core works.

We finished a few more pieces today. The first step was to clear the valley area of the ignition coils and knock sensors. The coils will get moved to the rear of the engine later but for now we built a set of clamps to hold the knock sensors onto the ribbed area of the valley. I don't know how moving these will affect how they work so we may need to desensitize them in the tuning.

Here are the new end plates attached to the stock Roe side plates. We made these extra thick just because we don't know if we will have to bring the aftercooler coolant in through the sides or the front of the plate at this point. If we end up having room to bring it in the front then we will mill these down. The pictures show how much more of the valley we will use for the manifold plenum. The next step is to cutout the bottom pan from a piece of 2" thick aluminum plate and attach it to the bottom of the side plates and the sides of the front/back plate. After that we will modify the side plates to make the airflow path less obstructive and then fit the aftercooler cores.

A few updates. I've been waiting for the machinist to get some time to work on the lower manifold so I went ahead and made the coil near plug brackets and some covers to go with the theme of the truck. I will be working on the supercharger inlet design next in order to eliminate the shoebox.

And here is a shot with the current Roe supercharger mocked up. (prior to the CNP brackets)

The motor is back and getting close to going back into the truck. I took a few shots of it on the engine stand with a standard intake manifold mocked up on it. The Roe/Whipple supercharger setup is going through some modifications but will get put back on once completed.

Did you find Piston damage? Is this engine now Forged?

Did you find Piston damage? Is this engine now Forged?

Engine already had forged rods/pistons in it but ended up having bad rings and too much piston/wall clearance. I ended up swapping the block with a virgin bore one so that I could reuse the pistons. This block was bored and is being used for another project so everything worked out well.

Not very good pictures but here is the new bottom plenum that will replace the original Roe bottom piece. This will extend the bottom of the manifold into the engine valley almost 4". It will bolt to the bottom of the stock Roe side manifold plates from below.

This pic shows the stock manifold side plates with the new end plates attached. The stock top cover is attached to help hold everything together. The machinist made a small profiled piece that can be seen in the picture. This was used to visualize how the new bottom would need to fit and to verify some angles before cutting up the 40lb block of aluminum.

He will splice the Laminova tubes to the proper length next and then we will work on securing them to the end plates. At some point we will also be milling down the Roe side plates to match the thickness of the new bottom plate. I will try to get some better pictures as we progress.

Awesome work! A couple Viper guys have modified the lower manifold on the Roe blower kits (Gen 2) to take advantage of the space and to help with the air distribution, but I haven't seen any of them try to add some sort of intercooling other than water/meth.

Awesome work! A couple Viper guys have modified the lower manifold on the Roe blower kits (Gen 2) to take advantage of the space and to help with the air distribution, but I haven't seen any of them try to add some sort of intercooling other than water/meth.

Thanks. My end goal is to get the Laminova tubes to provide cooling and to provide enough restriction to provide some improved distribution. It will be several more weeks of fitting and tying everything together but once the manifold is done I will get some side by side flow testing done with a stock Roe manifold.

Progress is slow but still moving forward. Machinist got the stock Roe side plates machined down so that they mate up with the new lower manifold. This eliminates the large step that was there before. Next week he should have the hole drilled and tapped and the lower manifold will be completed. Then onto mounting the Laminova coils.

Machinist got the lower plenum mounted and the manifold is a single piece again but now has roughly 35-40% more volume than the original. We are going to go ahead and make a new top plate that extends all the way to both sides and front to back to give us more sealing area. Following that we will fit the Laminova coils in and then make provisions in the top plate for the next upgrade.

The next step is to bump up the 3.4L Whipple to the newer rear inlet 4.5L and design a rear throttle body and filter setup.

Took a few more shots yesterday after we pulled the top cover off. Since we are going with a larger blower I decided to redo the top lid as well since the larger supercharger will have to sit forward further and the bypass valve will move to the back plate. The new top plate will extend all the way to the edge of both sides and front/rear. This will give us access to add a few more holes to bolt the lid to the side plates. We also discussed making another angled cut on each side plate to get a smoother transition between the new bottom plate and side plates.

I got a few more parts in today. This is the throttle body transition for the Whipple 4.5L and a 105mm throttle body. The machinist is still working on getting the Laminova tubes set in the manifold and then we will start making a discharge plate to transition the supercharger to the top manifold plate with a recessed area for the bypass valve.

Hi, the built looks awesome !

Short question though... Why a 105 mm TB ?
The ROE single blade TB is much bigger, isnt it ?
Even the OEM TB (in total) gives a bigger dia than 105 mm.

Is there a special reason for it ?

Thanks

Arne

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back