Cylinder 1 & 3 dead

Hi, the built looks awesome !

Short question though... Why a 105 mm TB ?
The ROE single blade TB is much bigger, isnt it ?
Even the OEM TB (in total) gives a bigger dia than 105 mm.

Is there a special reason for it ?

Thanks

Arne

The only straight throttle body transition piece for this supercharger at the moment is for the round throttle body. Whipple has an oval one for their Ford GT kit but I wasn't able to get an answer from them on whether they would offer just that component without purchasing the entire kit. I also didn't want to have to machine one from scratch since that would add months to the timeline.
I think the 105mm size will be large enough for the power range I plan on being in and will still maintain good street drivability. I have never seen any published specs on the Roe TB so I don't know what size it is or what flow it is capable but looking at them side by side the round unit looks larger.

Just got notification that the Whipple 4.5L head unit shipped and will be here Monday. A few more pieces trickling in but hoping to have the manifold with intercoolers and supercharger mounted by the end of July.

Just got notification that the Whipple 4.5L head unit shipped and will be here Monday. A few more pieces trickling in but hoping to have the manifold with intercoolers and supercharger mounted by the end of July.

Dayumm 4.5liter! Badass

That is going to be a monster! You may have posted before, what kind of power do you expect the truck to make?

Dayumm 4.5liter! Badass
It sounds big but by today's standards the 3.4L is small for our size motors. I relate this to the Mustang world because I have my foot in that arena and they run this size SC on a 4.6L motor with great results - because it is large enough to adequately feed the size of the motor and get boost numbers in the 20+ lb range. On our big motors the 3.4 can't get over 12-14 lbs because it can't push enough volume of air. the 4.5L should be a better size for the 8.3L engine.

That is going to be a monster! You may have posted before, what kind of power do you expect the truck to make?

I don't have any specific numbers as a goal. I am just trying to overcome some of the issues that I have with the Roe setup. Not knocking Sean's work because what I have been modifying would make a kit too costly.

A few more mock up pictures. This is the 4.5L Whipple on top of the modified intake. We will be making a new top plate to the manifold that will accommodate the bypass valve so the supercharger will sit on a 1" aluminum top plate versus the Roe 3/8" plate. This will most likely require dropping the motor lower or modifying the cowl area. The next step is to order the drive snout and then find the final position of the supercharger. It is all tedious small moves forward but it is moving.

It's been slow progress but the machinist has finally gotten through his prior commitment and is back at it. The supercharger snout arrived and I had three custom pulley machined - a 4", 3.5" and 3". Along with the overdriven crank pulley these three upper pulley should bring 24, 18 and 14 lbs of boost respectively. We set these up as dual 7 rib pulleys so the inner belt will run the supercharger and all the accessories and the outer belt will just run the crank, idlers and supercharger. The machinist has the manifold end plates setup to house the Laminova cores and is now working on the coupler to splice the cores so that they are long enough for the length of the manifold. No pictures of that yet but I will get some. We are getting close. Still need to build the top manifold plate and a few small items for the dual pulley setup but with any luck the engine will be done by the end of this summer.

This is flat out awesome. I always wanted to see a different top mount supercharger option for our engines from what Roe offers. How's the clearance on this bad boy?

This is flat out awesome. I always wanted to see a different top mount supercharger option for our engines from what Roe offers. How's the clearance on this bad boy?

Not sure yet but fairly certain that it will not clear in the rear without either lowering the motor or modifying the cowl area. I could move the supercharger forward enough to clear but I think that would cause to many distribution issues having the SC dump at the very front of the intake.

Picked up the bottom half of the manifold today. Next step will be to finish the dual belt setup and figure out the placement of the supercharger. After that the machinist will build the top plate.

Here are the 5 pieces that make up the bottom manifold. The only original Roe Racing pieces are the two side plates with the intake runners and they have been modified. The bottom plate extends down into the engine valley about 2" more than the Roe setup. The two end pieces are machined to accept the 4 Laminova intercoolers.

Here is a pic from the bottom showing how the bottom plate attaches to the side plates.

Partial assembly of the lower plenum minus the intercooler cores.

A profile of one of the end extrusions that house the intercooler cores. These are all pinned and stay in place when the two manifold end plates are tightened.

A short section of Laminova intercooler core. They don't make these cores long enough so we had to cut one down and couple it to a 24" unit.

A shot of the coupler the machinist made.

Intercooler cores have to be loaded with one end plate off.

Center intercooler extrusion.

Another shot of the intercoolers getting assembled.

End shot of all 4 intercooler cores loaded. (they are sagging down in this picture so when secured there will be more intake volume beneath them)

Top shot with all the intercoolers installed.

:rock::burnout::rock::burnout:

A little more progress. Mocked up the blower on the old top plate and got it positioned in the area where it will sit. This supercharger sits farther forward than the old unit so I may get lucky with cowl clearance at the rear. The new top plate will be 3/4" thick so I can get a good cavity between the supercharger discharge and the top of the Laminova cores. Also started mocking up the intake setup. Not sure where the airbox will be yet so just experimenting right now.

way more patience than i could ever have:rock:

on airbox, what hood are you using??
where do you want air to come in from??

i think Tonys new hood has a side ducting to the pass area either srt10 stock box or hemi stock box (same spot as the extra battery box on our trucks)

new R/T hood has a funtcional option with a Mopar CAI in the stock hemi box location. obviously the hood wont work but the box may provide you options

my aftermarket hood ducts straight to the hemi stock box location (again same spot as the extra battery box on our trucks). i raised the stock hemi box up to seal to the hood and flipped the filter so that the air runs through it the way it was designed. K&N says the filter will flow either way but the filter partcle filtering is desided only one way. plus it reaches the hood better right now. mine is an unfinished short cut but functional. later i want to raise the box higher or create a tube from the hood to the box and sit the filter down in the box groove so its completely sealed from the engine/header heat

My machinist has done all of this work as he has time between other projects which does require some patience but he is also only charging me about 1/3 what it should costs.

Will be using either stock hood or the older style JTSVP hood. Airbox will sit right on top of the supercharger and right behind the hood scoop. Thinking of using a large K&N filter and having the tubing come in from underneath. You have to use your imagination a little with this picture but basically I want a split right at the TB and come up along both sides of the supercharger and then up into the filter box..

I am sure you are aware of it already but any kinda crazy intake set will kill this blowers performance. I would run 2 3.5" intake with seperate cone filters on them. Just my 2 cents

I am sure you are aware of it already but any kinda crazy intake set will kill this blowers performance. I would run 2 3.5" intake with seperate cone filters on them. Just my 2 cents

Inlet tubes are twin 4". My bottleneck will be the 105mm throttle body. Whipple makes a larger oval shaped TB but so far I have been unable to get them to sell me the TB to supercharger adapter for it. I will try the smaller TB for now and see how badly the supercharger starves for air.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back