Damage to spark Plug

FlyingLow said:
Results are in from the leak test. All cylinders were between 3-5%. We even checked #3 twice. It showed about 5% on the first one and about 3% on the second one. So I don't know what caused the plug to lose the gap. Could have gotten really hot and just started to melt? I don't know. The truck is still not smoking and it idles alright.
That's great news Scott.:rock:

Hopefully it was an anomoly and nothing serious. :)

Outstanding news...pull that oil filter, put a new one on immediately. Cut the old one in half, rub oil from the internal filter elements between your thumb and fingers...try to feel for any indication of metal...if you don't feel any...back to duty and never look back...

Drive it like you stole it, just like before!

Roy

Spark plug damage

I did not read the entire thread or look at your picture, but it sounds like detonation (preignition). I had the same thing happen except for the light. I thought the piston had hit the plug. I have a Roe supercharger, so I had him tweak the program for the cylinder. I also do not run the most aggressive program without racing gas anymore. Hope this helps.

I did not do a compression check. It was my understanding that the leak test was more conclusive. I have not changed the oil, but I will soon. Truck still seems to drive rough and I think it has something to do with the tranny. I wonder if I overheated the transmission oil? It is time to change the tranny oil and have the bands adjusted anyway. So now I'm trying to figure out what I'm going to do. If I pull the STS off I'm wondering what to replace it with. About the only things would be NOS or Roe Twin Screw. I think the cheapest would be the Nos.

sleepersrt10 said:
I did not read the entire thread or look at your picture, but it sounds like detonation (preignition). I had the same thing happen except for the light. I thought the piston had hit the plug. I have a Roe supercharger, so I had him tweak the program for the cylinder. I also do not run the most aggressive program without racing gas anymore. Hope this helps.

Very interesting. So were you running to lean or rich on #3?

I don't know when you posted this but, you probably have big problems. I could show you an exact duplicate of your plug I removed from a new LS2 motor with STS Turbo. The motor ran OK , with a knock but the piston associated with that cylinder was trashed. You should perform a compression test, and leak down test of that cylinder. Would be nice if you could get a cylinder scope. You have sufferd from detonation and most likely preignition as well. Good luck....

Another note: Weird thing is that several other cylinders had totally lost(melted) grounding strap on the plugs. The cylinder with the damage was the one that just closed the gap. Ring lands collapsed etc.....

Great news Scott. Sell that fkn STS as soon as you can and move on to something a little more reliable.

Jeff

I found my old compression tests, in case your curious.. I've yet to do a leak down, I may try that this weekend as long as I'm not stuck at work all weekend. Anywho, here were the results.
COLD/DRY
HOT/DRY
HOT/WET​
#1: 95psi
#1: 115psi
#1: 140psi​
#2: 80psi
#2: 115psi
#2: 140psi​
#3: 90psi
#3: 95psi
#3: 120psi​
#4: 85psi
#4: 105psi
#4: 123psi​
#5: 95psi
#5: 115psi
#5: 145psi​
#6: 90psi
#6: 120psi
#6: 140psi​
#7: 95psi
#7: 115psi
#7: 150psi​
#8: 85psi
#8: 115psi
#8: 140psi​
#9: 93psi
#9: 115psi
#9: 140psi​
#10: 90psi
#10: 115psi
#10: 140psi​

As I said, I'll try to get to leakdown and scoping it this weekend.. Is doing leakdown on a cold motor ok??? (remember, its been sitting since before thanksgiving..) Also, I was thinking about doin the leakdown on BDC of the intake stroke, both valves should be closed by then (plus I won't have to hold the engine with a ratchet).. Think that would work??? Or does it need to be on TDC of the compression stroke???

im need new spark plugs too, what is the size that socket would fit the spark plug? i believe is is 5/8? right?

I think it was 5/8. My neighbor helped me change them. And by help I mean he changed them and I supplied the beer.

If I were you Scott I would do two things immediately. First is buy a lottery ticket. You are F'ing lucky.

Second is shit can that STS. I honestly believe you have pushed your luck to the limit on that thing.

I'm just glad to hear it came out okay for you this time.

By the way. How is your wife feeling? I'm assuming she is still pretty sore.:(

I'm debating on taking the STS off. I'm just under so much stress right now I don't want to make any rash decisions. I have even thought about selling the truck. Wife is doing OK I guess. I think her medicine really puts her out. Some days she is very lucid, others we have the same conversations we had the day before. We found out today the car is totaled. So now I in the market for an SUV. Anybody got some hookups or a good deal? But thanks for asking John.

FlyingLow said:
I'm debating on taking the STS off. I'm just under so much stress right now I don't want to make any rash decisions. I have even thought about selling the truck. Wife is doing OK I guess. I think her medicine really puts her out. Some days she is very lucid, others we have the same conversations we had the day before. We found out today the car is totaled. So now I in the market for an SUV. Anybody got some hookups or a good deal? But thanks for asking John.

Any ideas on what you want? I'm out west but i can buy online from either a DCX or GM factory sale and you can pick it up from the auction. You just need to have your own financing swung in advance. Anything you want Scott just ask.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff!!! I think our front runners are the Suburban and Durango. The Ford dealership was to pushy for me but I did like some of the features on the Expedition. I wanted to look at an H-2, but there is not a dealer here in town. I don't really understand what you mean by the auction. Are these new cars and where do I have to pick them up?

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back