Dealership oil change?

venom 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was wondering the how bad a dealership will rape me for an oil change on my truck..I need to get my truck in to have those damn leaky oil cooler lines replaced because I want to have that issue resolved before a fresh oil change..I have no problem changing it myself but I just figured while it was there I would have then do the oil but if their gonna bend me over I will just do it myself...What is the going rate for a change at the stealership??

The last time I had my oil changed at the dealership it cost me $130.00.

It ain't the cost of the change that is expensive, its what they charge for the oil!

Before I started changing my own, I would buy the oil from AutoZone and then have the dealership do the change. I think they charged me $6 for oil filter and like 11 for labor.

Brat said:
The last time I had my oil changed at the dealership it cost me $130.00.
That's alot in my opinion, Buying all the supplies yourself would be around 80$ I would say...correct me if im wrong??

venom 1 said:
That's alot in my opinion, Buying all the supplies yourself would be around 80$ I would say...correct me if im wrong??

Unless you dont have a jack or jack stands yet.
I would like to do mine but a decent jack is going to be another 100 at least then maybe 30 or so for stands. I am stuck with the dealer until my life changes

I love to do my oil changes... I got a good filter wrench, a couple of ramps and a tank for oil drain... the most difficult part is going to dump the oil without making a complete mess :)

My brother in law runs a garage so gettin her up off the ground wont be an issue, I guess I'll be buyin the shit and doin it myself after the oil cooler lines get replaced...what rhe hell causes those things to leak anyway, do the just need tightened up or what??

Demon8, why don't you use the factory jack . . . ? It's designed to be a temporary "jack-stand".

If you dont feel like doin it yourself, just buy your own oil from autozone or even walmart sells mobil 1, buy the filter at the dealership, and the labor should only be around $10.00, then after they are done fixin the lines they can do the oil change...Or you could spend roughly $140.00:dontknow:
I have them do my oil changes here, and it only cost me about $80.00, because I have the "employee discount":rock:

Honestly, not sure where to look, havent seen it since I bought it. Is it by the tire?

Demon 8 said:
Honestly, not sure where to look, havent seen it since I bought it. Is it by the tire?

It's under the passenger seat. ;)

Now I gotta go look for oil leaks, ya got me worried:afraid: ................:D dealership oil change ram SRT 10, 120.00, 130.00, guess it depends on dealership.

Demon 8 said:
Will check, and you trust this under 5000 pounds

That's what it's for, to jack the truck up. . . :D If you're that worried, you could pick up a set of jack-stands pretty reasonably from any tool company (Harbor Freight or Northern Tool) or auto parts store. The jack itself is the main expense.

Good luck!

If you let the dealer do it and they provide everythng needed, just remember to ask them to at least blow in your ear when they are done. They may charge a little extra for the condom.

I swear ya'll don't read sometimes. I posted it will cost him 11 bucks to do it at the dealer if he buys the stuff himself. Hell even jbilledeaux, who works at a dealer said the same thing!

Hell I don't read all the time either LOL

Check prices if going to the dealership.

Bought a rear 02 sensor last week...on the phone the price varied from about $48 to $80...

The factory scissor jack actually works well,however,never ever crawl up under a vehicle without stands. If you bring your own oil/filter to any of the quick change company's they charge anywhere from $12-$25. The oil exchanger lines (also called the cooler which it IS NOT!...sorry :) ) are made up of 3 pieces. Two are screw in adaptors and the hose itself simply plugs into these adaptors. The C clip hold them in place. While the adaptors could become loose the normal area of failure is at the hose and adaptor junction. There is only a single oring used as a seal. You'll notice if you move the hose that this connection is loose...its supposed to be. The use of this fitting is primarily for ease of assembly on the factory line.

If your truck isn't lowered, you don't even need the jack. I could slither under my RC and change the oil sitting in the driveway. You can get the oil at walmart for $50-$55 and filter at the dealership for $6-$8.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back