Difference in Truck & Viper T56

Laszlo

Reaction score
Hi guys! I recently purchased what i believe to be a truck T56 trans for my 70 Chevelle. I'm having a real hard time finding the difference between the Viper and Truck T56 transmission. Know one seems to positively know! I was hoping maybe you guys could help.

How do i ID my trans? It has a metal tag with a 5........ part number and TUET2190 number that a Dodge dealer decoded and said it's for a 04-05 truck? Is there any castings on the case that also ID this model?

Also, was told by Liberty Gears that the input shaft should have 2 rings or notches to be a truck trans? Not sure what that is, but mine doesn't appear to have that. Thoughts?

Thanks for any help or direction you guys can give, i really appreciate it!!

Last edited:
Hi guys! I recently purchased what i believe to be a truck T56 trans for my 70 Chevelle. I'm having a real hard time finding the difference between the Viper and Truck T56 transmission. Know one seems to positively know! I was hoping maybe you guys could help.

How do i ID my trans? It has a metal tag with a 5........ part number and TUET2190 number that a Dodge dealer decoded and said it's for a 04-05 truck? Is there any castings on the case that also ID this model?

Also, was told by Liberty Gears that the input shaft should have 2 rings or notches to be a truck trans? Not sure what that is, but mine doesn't appear to have that. Thoughts?

Thanks for any help or direction you guys can give, i really appreciate it!!

I thought they were the same :dontknow::dontknow:

inless maybe some few different changes, I can't say cause i thought it was a engine and drivetrain from a viper.

gears are also made of 9010 steel (harder) and have a different helical cut to them to make for a stronger tranny for the extra 2,000 lbs the truck has. Most shops even upgrade the new T6060 with our truck gears.

the truck unit also has harder gears of 9010 steel as well as a different helical cut that makes the tranny able to support the extra 2000lbs. Many pro tranny builder actually use our gears in the new T6060 builds!!

Thanks for the reply's!

Aside from the harder gears (liberty told me 9310), they also told me the input shaft was bigger; although they all have a 26/30 spline input and output shaft??? I was talking to a middle man there and he made a few errors...that's why I'm getting out and asking you guys! Do you know if i can use a viper bellhousing? Or do i need a truck specific for this trans?

Thanks again guys!

Damn your putting a mopar product into a bowtie, WoW thats a no-no for true bowtie boys :)

Good luck with your build bud.

Damn your putting a mopar product into a bowtie, WoW thats a no-no for true bowtie boys :)

Good luck with your build bud.

Ha, thanks. Its not really a Mopar product tho, It's a Tremec product. Obviously, the T56 is in many GM makes and models; although, those don't have a Viper head on their T56! :rock:

Thanks guys!

What about the shifter location? I thought the truck trans had the shifter in the rear location and the car trans was in the front location? Then the truck trans has a shift rail that extends inside the casing from the rear location to the front and actuates the shift forks as if the shifter was sitting in the front location. I dont know this for sure, but kinda curious myself.

What about the shifter location? I thought the truck trans had the shifter in the rear location and the car trans was in the front location? Then the truck trans has a shift rail that extends inside the casing from the rear location to the front and actuates the shift forks as if the shifter was sitting in the front location. I dont know this for sure, but kinda curious myself.

You are correct on this. The Car uses the forward shifter location and the truck the rear. NOT a different tranny though, both locations are on the tranny, the forward has a cover over it.;)

You are correct on this. The Car uses the forward shifter location and the truck the rear. NOT a different tranny though, both locations are on the tranny, the forward has a cover over it.;)

Right, but does the car tranny have the rail inside the casing so the rear shifter location can be used?

not sure but I'd imagine the answer is yes! Apparently Tremec already planned on this tranny going in another Viper vehicle? Like you said, the rail is in the tranny, so I couldn't see having to disassemble tranny for alternate shifter location. I bet the rod is connected to both shifter locations.

Update:

First, The T56 i have (TUET2190AD) is from an 2005 Ram SRT-10; confirmed by Tremec, Rockland Standard and local Dodge dealer.

There appears to be a lot of misinformation out there regarding the difference in The Ram SRT-10 and Viper T56. The most consistancies came from Tremec and Rockland Standard.

There are two types of SRT-10 trannies; i have an early model which is basically a Viper transmission with a different tailhousing (WITHOUT SPEED SENSOR), larger output shaft and yoke. My model also has a .80 and .63 (+/-) overdrive. The later model trans has an upgraded second gear (stronger material and higher gear) and has different overdrives ratio's. This is the stronger of the two; not that the standard 550lbsft is weak! You can tell what model you have my the customer number on the metal tag. Mine is 5037432AB. The last 4 numbers and letters mean an early trans. If anyone has questions regarding their trans, by far, Tremec and Rockland Standard are the source!

Thanks for everything guys! I also may be back to post the trans in the classifieds. Without the speed sensor, i may just look for a regular mechanical Viper trans...or tail housing.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back