Differential Oil?

FastRam

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This weekend, I plan on changing my rear diff fluid. Anybody have any experience (good/bad?) with 75W-140? I picked up 4 bottles of this grade made by Mobil 1.

that oil is fine. Do put 1-2 tubes of limited slip additive in there when you do it. I used amsoil slip lock, but a friend of mine used the trans-x posi-trac.
Mopar sells friction modifier. i think thats what they use when they do it there, not sure if mobil makes anything.

Last edited:
I used the straight 90w that the owners manual says and 5 oz of mopar friction mod. Though yours would probably be fine also...I just stick with stock

not all synthetics have the additive. i use the chrysler 75w-140 with 2 bottles of mopar additive

I have the "super syn" Mobil 1 75W-140, 4 bottles plus a bottle of the Mopar friction modifier. To make sure I wouldn't have any "extended warranty issues", I talked with my local dealer's Viper Tech. He told me the Mobil 1 75W-140 will be fine and in fact Chrysler has been migrating this way, e.g., recommended use of syn. And my extended warranty will be OK...:shakehands:

Get one of these from AutoZone, PepBoys, whatever. Makes life alot easier getting the fluid back in the diff. About $15.00

Fluid Transfer Pump
FluidPump.jpg

Moparconnection is once again spot on....read the label of whatever buy very carefully. I've stuck with OEM and using 2 bottles of friction modifier.

This small maintenance project is done. Really simple and I didn't have to remove the spare tire. The upper plug had no debris build up. The low plug had a very small amount of debris build up -- just enough to fill the concave cavity. I attribute this to normal wear and tear. Refilling the diff, at first I tried to squeeze the fluid through a short length of tube. It worked but I got sick of squeezing the bottle and broke out the fluid transfer pump.

I used about a bottle and a half of the Mopar friction modifier and just about 3 bottles of the Mobil 1 75W-140. I also applied a little high temp black RTV onto the plugs to seal the threads and torqued them to 20 ft-lbs. Went for a ride -- took it slow and easy at first and then visited a local parking lot. After several launches, back to the road for some more (faster) driving and then back home (slow and easy). After road testing, no leaks, no rattles, no grinding, whining, etc. Finished...

Nice. Next time just use high temp thread sealant on the plug threads not the RTV gasket maker stuff. I am sure it is not going to hurt anything just a suggestion.

I changed mine couple of weeks ago and the fluid transfer pump I had broke and I had to squeeze the crap out of the bottles to get the fluid in there. What a PITA! I used about the same as you, 3 qts of fluid and tube of TRAC-LOC.

Definitely an easy job.

Nice. Next time just use high temp thread sealant on the plug threads not the RTV gasket maker stuff. I am sure it is not going to hurt anything just a suggestion.

I thought I had a tube of the thread sealant lying around but I couldn't find it. :confused: And of course I had already started the job. A lesson learned there...:eek: I don't think the RTV will hurt anything either. That pump failure sux.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back