Does anyone need Automatic PCM's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is the purpose of this thread to boost PCM prices out of the average Joes price range do to limited availability? Hell I just sold Viperhauler one for $200 for a guy in need 3 weeks ago! So I shoulda rapes him for 7-800? That's not what our forum is about! It's about helping someone in need! Just saying:chain:
Seems y'all are pricing them into extinction!

LOL, I have nothing to do with the pricing of anything... ask Chrysler? This was just an FYI.

You guys can certainly sell whatever you want for however much you want... I am just the one who gets to hear people cry about it when they sell something cheap, and then end up needing to replace it and lose a boatload of money in the process. Or worse yet, I get yelled at for selling something for X dollars because some Joe Schmoe sold something for nothing when he had no idea what it was worth, when the pricing was NEEDED to make it happen in low volume and to justify the effort [and was NO DIFFERENT than Chrysler was getting before]

Again I reiterate, anyone can sell anything they want for whatever they want, but don't shoot the messenger for listing what something is actually worth or costs. If anyone is upset over the costs... then start doing your research on SMD electronics, go buy an SMD rework station for 6-10 grand+, learn how to do it, and then donate your time and effort for free.

Last edited:
LOL, I have nothing to do with the pricing of anything... ask Chrysler? This was just an FYI.

You guys can certainly sell whatever you want for however much you want... I am just the one who gets to hear people cry about it when they sell something cheap, and then end up needing to replace it and lose a boatload of money in the process. Or worse yet, I get yelled at for selling something for X dollars because some Joe Schmoe sold something for nothing when he had no idea what it was worth, when the pricing was NEEDED to make it happen in low volume and to justify the effort [and was NO DIFFERENT than Chrysler was getting before]

Again I reiterate, anyone can sell anything they want for whatever they want, but don't shoot the messenger for listing what something is actually worth or costs.

I agree with your notifying us about the shortage but it just this has turned into an auction of sorts, lol.
Dan, from your experience, what burns a PCM like ours up? Other than Joe Shmoe screwing with wiring, Vecs, etc?

I agree with your notifying us about the shortage but it just this has turned into an auction of sorts, lol.
Dan, from your experience, what burns a PCM like ours up? Other than Joe Shmoe screwing with wiring, Vecs, etc?

I think you misunderstand... I started the thread, but never even offered anything for sale. I wouldn't even waste my time building more of these ECU's unless there was outstanding orders for them, of which there are none at the moment. There are MANY vehicles off the road I hear about, but none of them apparently are on this board. This thread was turned into a back-and-forth by a group of other guys who have nothing to do with me.

The most common failures are Ignition Drivers, Injector Drivers, and memory related issues... generally in that order, and usually caused by wiring issues. Sometimes these failures do result in a scrap ECU that cannot be repaired. There are virtually ZERO new ECU's out there that are not already VIN flashed, so your only options are used [exact match only], rebuild if possible, or we can build you a new, non-VIN flashed unit, of any configuration. We would not charge more than Chrysler did for an ECU in any case, but ~$250 wouldn't even cover the donor ECU cost, let alone needed parts and time.

I just hope that people learn to look at this kind of stuff objectively. It drives me nuts when people have no gripe with forking over 95% profit to Chrysler on a product they buy by the thousands or more... but have a major problem with paying a smaller outfit to do more physical work, with more expensive tools, for far less actual profit. Chrysler makes more money than we do for watching some part numbers flash on a screen. We make less for physically reworking an ECU on our time and dime... but we end up the bad guys because we charge for our efforts. Does not compute.

Last edited:
I think you misunderstand... I started the thread, but never even offered anything for sale. I wouldn't even waste my time building more of these ECU's unless there was outstanding orders for them, of which there are none at the moment. There are MANY vehicles off the road I hear about, but none of them apparently are on this board. This thread was turned into a back-and-forth by a group of other guys who have nothing to do with me.

The most common failures are Ignition Drivers, Injector Drivers, and memory related issues... generally in that order, and usually caused by wiring issues. Sometimes these failures do result in a scrap ECU that cannot be repaired. There are virtually ZERO new ECU's out there that are not already VIN flashed, so your only options are used [exact match only], rebuild if possible, or we can build you a new, non-VIN flashed unit, of any configuration. We would not charge more than Chrysler did for an ECU in any case, but ~$250 wouldn't even cover the donor ECU cost, let alone needed parts and time.

I just hope that people learn to look at this kind of stuff objectively. It drives me nuts when people have no gripe with forking over 95% profit to Chrysler on a product they buy by the thousands or more... but have a major problem with paying a smaller outfit to do more physical work, with more expensive tools, for far less actual profit. Chrysler makes more money than we do for watching some part numbers flash on a screen. We make less for physically reworking an ECU on our time and dime... but we end up the bad guys because we charge for our efforts. Does not compute.

Dan I wasn't aiming my comments to you but rather the other posts figuring up their profits on these PCMs they have, lol.
Your ability is an asset for sure and wasnt knocking that whatsoever or what it would take cost wise to build from scratch. I'm sure we'll need your services at some point or another. I agree most have no clue the values of our beloved engine parts but in the same sense, we as an Internet family try to help one another when selling parts, used or new. It's a comradery of sorts. I agree though folks will sell for what they think parts are worth regardless of actual value. If they don't sell they realize they've priced themselves out of the market. :D

Dan,

To put this back on topic, there has been an issue of finding and keeping a reliable stock of PCM's for the QC's. Some have been without them for months with no hope. Prices, well, I think I've seen them from about 250-650 over the past few years. I know your not a Vendor and that's not what this thread was about, it's simple, just about availability.

Quit frankly, if these guys want fight the thought of you looking into creating a solution to the back log, just leave them high and dry. There are 21 years worth of Vipers I know probably keeps you more than busy.

Dan, I'm not being critical of your efforts to see if there is a need. I'm actually being critical of the people here for not seeing the purpose of the question. They think it's bad now, 3 years from now instead of a handful of people looking, it's going to be a great deal more. I don't even know why they are concerned about price. Product cost is entirely up to what a manufacturer/business wants. The consumer, only has the choice of deciding to buy or not. Hell, as a consumer, I'll take mine for free, thanks (NOT).

Vj

You know what I would like to add to this, "how much is it worth" discussion? I needed a PCM for my truck and Dom GAVE me a spare he had kicking around. Maybe the VTCOA has changed since then? If that's the direction we are going, I seriously feel bad for the new guys who are just now buying these trucks and coming here for help. Also makes me glad I have phone numbers for most of the people that have been around here awhile helping people.

Final GTS, my post isn't directed at you. You are running a business and offer a valid solution to a growing problem. Wouldn't expect your services to be pro-bono.

It's also encouraging to see non-vendors finally allowed to present solutions here. That crap where we don't talk about it unless a vendor has it, you know, like we were doing last week, seemed kinda bogus. :D

Last edited:
So this doesn't fall under soliciting for non vendors in the rules?:dontknow:

I guess it depends on who's post your reading

For me it was a simple question if we were having issues finding a part that is out of production from Chrysler. Also, there might only be 5 people on here that know more than what has been typed (like me)

Dan, if you decide to finish a solution for the RAM SRT-10 QC, could you let me know

Vj

I guess it depends on who's post your reading

For me it was a simple question if we were having issues finding a part that is out of production from Chrysler. Also, there might only be 5 people on here that know more than what has been typed (like me)

Dan, if you decide to finish a solution for the RAM SRT-10 QC, could you let me know

Vj

Defend it anyway you'd like Jeff but I've seen more than one vendor come on here and ask if there was interest in a product, you know to see if it was worth their time and money to make it, just to be hounded about paying vendor fees....

Back when I was a vendor and before the SCT for our trucks, I sold the PCM, flashed with vin and a tune for close to $1000.00

500-700 for a PCM is fair

Defend it anyway you'd like Jeff but I've seen more than one vendor come on here and ask if there was interest in a product, you know to see if it was worth their time and money to make it, just to be hounded about paying vendor fees....
I'm guessing you meant non vendor as vendors can have as many sales or group buys as they wish

And you've asked to lighten up....

So when that happens it pisses you off....?

So which is it, do you want it to be lightened up or not

Oh, and if he would have posted a group buy, it would have been deleted, so please don't confuse the two issues.

For what it's worth and I know for two of you where it won't make any difference, you will still find a reason to be unhappy. The powers that be understand just how hard OEM parts are to get and that problem is only getting worse. Discussion has happened where we understand the position of the vendor and we understand the position of the member. As things move forward and we try and bridge that gap as a group we can either fight it or figure out a way to do it better. I have listened and have presented yours and one others member concerns even to the point of group buys. It will not happen over night and I can't say (because I just don't know) how that will happen.

The Mods and the Admins chose to let this one run to see if we could progress and make it better. PCM's have been a problem for some time. If not Tony, Justin or Scott would have helped some of these guys a long time ago. I know Tony has seen one guys pleas on another forum for some time. I checked the JMB website to see if I could help and couldn't find one for the guy. Not even sure if Scott would sell another pcm. That's for Scott to decide.

I looked on some of the Viper sites just to find out I couldn't find one in stock and all this was before this thread just to try and help a guy that emailed me... nothing.

Oh, and I'm not going to defend, rationalize or even think I'm right. I'm just trying to do what I can and try to help where I can. I pass on concerns and work within the boundaries as I understand them.

It's your guy's choice, I can listen to what you're saying and try to make it better or I can listen to what you're saying and just ignore you :dontknow:

Choices choices....

Vj

P.S.
Personally, I would prefer, Justin Scott or Tony had a solution to this problem and the hunt for PCM's would just go away

Last edited:
No Jeff it didn't piss me off at all, I'd love to see it easier for vendors to come here. Is it going to be more relaxed from now on or is it just for Final GTS since you appear to have some sort of personal interest in this?

I don't know Dan, never met him and I have zero interest in anything he does....

I do know the name and I know the company because of other venues I visit

This is a go forward kind of thing, we will see how this works and evaluate any others based on what we learn from this one

Vj

I don't know Dan, never met him and I have zero interest in anything he does....

I do know the name and I know the company because of other venues I visit

This is a go forward kind of thing, we will see how this works and evaluate any others based on what we learn from this one

Vj

Good to know, I think(hope) it helps bring new products to market for our trucks.

Hmmm...

So let me get this straight. We went from a simple question of demand, to an inter-site bidding war, to I'm an a-hole for stating what something costs/worth, to let these guys reap what they sow, to I'm an a-hole for not being a vendor, to Jeff is an a-hole because he must be in bed with me because he didn't climb up my ass with a microscope for not being a vendor just to ASK if a product is even in demand.

Did I miss anything? Or should I just run out and start investing my money to pull some Ram fannies out of the proverbial fire? :dontknow:

NEWSFLASH: There is probably not even enough annual demand at this point to cover the costs of the forum sponsorship with the profit from doing so. So, if cornering me into a sponsorship before I can even determine if I want to be involved with this portion of the market directly is your idea of a good move... I think I will just stay on the Viper side of the market. [Not directed towards you in the least Jeff]

Last edited:
Hmmm...

So let me get this straight. We went from a simple question of demand, to an inter-site bidding war, to I'm an a-hole for stating what something costs/worth, to let these guys reap what they sow, to I'm an a-hole for not being a vendor, to Jeff is an a-hole because he must be in bed with me because he didn't climb up my ass with a microscope for not being a vendor just to ASK if a product is even in demand.

Did I miss anything? Or should I just run out and start investing my money to pull some Ram fannies out of the proverbial fire? :dontknow:

NEWSFLASH: There is probably not even enough annual demand at this point to cover the costs of the forum sponsorship with the profit from doing so. So, if cornering me into a sponsorship before I can even determine if I want to be involved with this portion of the market directly is your idea of a good move... I think I will just stay on the Viper side of the market. [Not directed towards you in the least Jeff]

Understood.

If the RAM SRT-10 PCM for the QC continues to be an issue maybe in a few years that annual demand will change to a level where there is a reasonable need.

Make it a Better Day

Jeff

closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back