dropped a valve or two

QckSlvr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So driving back from Miami the other day I am almost home and the check gauges light dings on and then immediately goes off

then a few miles up the road and almost home, ding comes right back on.

I look down and the temp gauge is climbing quickly

So I pull off the road (about 1/2 mile from the house) and shut her down, the temps keep climbing, I jump out of the truck and open the hood and see coolant pissing out the hood and steam from under the hood.

The damn coolant hose is not connected and steam coming out of it and the engine is making those really bad noises when metal is way to hot and expanding rapidly

sat on the side of the road, let it cool down, called dodge roadside and had then come get the truck, it wouldn't turn over at all and I was really worried

so they have to tear into the engine to even see what happened and I may be on the hook if it is not a covered warranty claim - approx. $450 in labor

well I got the call today - she dropped a couple valves (not 1 a couple) which in turn completely destroys your engine with an aluminum block

now dodge warranty is asking for a list of parts that would be required to repair the engine, and are going to compare it to the costs of a new motor.

Really kind of hoping for the new motor option as I don't ever think the motor would be right with a rebuild, but its out of my hands for now.

oh BTW - she doesn't have 60k on her yet and yeah a 2005 is a older truck and I am on my 2nd extended warranty with dodge, but I am really glad that I have that extended warranty right now, and she's covered until 2016 and 125k miles so I will have the warranty for a nice long time.

and she was just in to have the tranny rebuilt like 10 days ago!

so does the extended warranty pay, it did for me!

Hell yea, got my trans rebuilt 2 weeks ago for the price of my deductible! Extended warranties are a must in my opinion

Hell yea, got my trans rebuilt 2 weeks ago for the price of my deductible! A manufacturer Extended warranty or at least one from a reputable company are a must in my opinion

Fixed it for you!

Last edited:
Fixed it for you!

well mine is direct from dodge

I went through the first extended warranty with only a AC claim and just knew that I wanted to get another one

so I looked up some dodge dealers that are on our forums and reached out and sure enough they got me the Max Care from dodge again and so right now I am thankful

and the warranty isn't just the price of the deductible

you did pay $2500 or something for the warranty itself, just like I did

but that $2500 plus the $200 deduct is still WAY cheaper then my tranny rebuild 2 weeks ago, and now the engine re-build or hopeful replacement

not sure what a new viper motor goes for these days, but I am guessing it's about $12k retail

well mine is direct from dodge

I went through the first extended warranty with only a AC claim and just knew that I wanted to get another one

so I looked up some dodge dealers that are on our forums and reached out and sure enough they got me the Max Care from dodge again and so right now I am thankful

and the warranty isn't just the price of the deductible

you did pay $2500 or something for the warranty itself, just like I did

but that $2500 plus the $200 deduct is still WAY cheaper then my tranny rebuild 2 weeks ago, and now the engine re-build or hopeful replacement

not sure what a new viper motor goes for these days, but I am guessing it's about $12k retail

You absolutely did it the right way! The max care service contract is the best. :D

If I were you I would get comp springs stronger pushrods and at the least forged pistons and rods if they rebuild your motor even if it costs extra

just got the call from the service writer

over $9k repair bill so the warranty company is sending out an inspector and pushing for the new motor

I got my truck from carmax with 18,000 miles on it and they offered a full warranty for an extra 1600$ THAT COVERS IT FOR 72 MONTHS OR UP TO 100,000 MILES the deductible is $50 unless i take it to carmax then its free we will see how good of a warranty it is

I got my truck from carmax with 18,000 miles on it and they offered a full warranty for an extra 1600$ THAT COVERS IT FOR 72 MONTHS OR UP TO 100,000 MILES the deductible is $50 unless i take it to carmax then its free we will see how good of a warranty it is

the only problem I ever heard of with a CarMax warranty was their techs didn't really know shit

not sure what is covered either with that one

as for my own truck and own experiences

I bought the truck brand new off the showroom floor

blew the tranny completely (tech's words were "I've never seen a tranny that bad ever" which I thought was funny, cause I drove it in, barely, but it made it)

a couple of AC claims, our AC kind of sucks in these things

recently another tranny issue, that I thought was actually the diff, they said no the tranny is slipping, well they put a new valve body in it and the diff is still an issue

and the power passenger track needs replacing

so the engine is going to be the BIG ticket for sure on my truck

Are you able to keep the original motor if they replace it. Would the new one come "turn key"? If so I'm looking for an intake manifold!

Are you able to keep the original motor if they replace it. Would the new one come "turn key"? If so I'm looking for an intake manifold!

Parts are returned to Chrysler when a repair like this is made, so probably not going to happen. Either way the intake manifold will be reused.

Who do I call to look into this Max Care warranty? Is my truck even eligible? 2005 with 84k??

I bought a warranty for mine (through a Nissan dealership where I got my truck) and it had 90k on it. I didn't get a full one, just powertrain, but it covers the engine and tranny. I want to say it is a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty or 3/36. Can't remember off the top of my head.

How do they feel about mods on these trucks and voiding warrenty??

My question persactly. the warranty I was offered at the dealer forbid mods of any kind to the drive train. Is there a warranty that will cover our mods?
:dontknow:

Last edited:
How do they feel about mods on these trucks and voiding warrenty??

My question persactly. the warranty I was offered at the dealer forbid mods of any kind to the drive train. Is there a warranty that will cover our mods?
:dontknow:

That is pretty much how they all are. You have a big claim, examples: engine, transmission or differential, they are sending an inspector out. The inspector sees mods on the vehicle even as simple as exhaust, expect to have your warranty voided and pay for the repairs out of pocket. I feel the aftermarket (non-manufacturer) extended warranties are a waste of money, the manufacturer contracts are the best you can get but you will pay a little more. Just my $.02....

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back