Dry Start Motor

NVR2OLD

VTCoA Senior Member
Reaction score
Psycho1122 posted me his understanding, with any wet sump engine is after 4 days (Aviation Standard), turning over the engine and starting is consider a "Dry Start". All the oil has drained back into the pan with very little if any film or "cling" on the bearing surfaces. Have you ever checked the oil on the stick after a week? On mine it appears overfilled! In contrast, checking it 20 minutes after a normal drive shows right on the money!

His practice is to unplug the fuel pump relay prior to turning on key, then turning the engine over untill the oil pressure needle moves up a tick (12-15 sec.) Then re-install the relay and fire.

This makes sense to me, and I would like to know other thoughts on dry starts over time. Maybe Tony or Justin could post in there thoughts also.

A lot of people let their vehicles sit for longer than a week and they start up and run fine for many years. It's not good for the engine, but I don't see it causing catastrophic failure if it happens every once and awhile. I run a pre-lube system on my GTS. I turn the key on, hold down a switch, and once I see the oil pressure gauge start to climb and drop again I start the car.

Mines sits for weeks at a time with no issues and my oil pressure is instant. There is a check valve in the mopar filter oil is always in the filter, it doesnt drain anywhere.

Throw a quart of lucas in when you do your oil change and never worry about "dry starts" again.

It's stickier than oil and will coat all lubricated surfaces.

Psycho1122 posted me his understanding, with any wet sump engine is after 4 days (Aviation Standard), turning over the engine and starting is consider a "Dry Start". All the oil has drained back into the pan with very little if any film or "cling" on the bearing surfaces. Have you ever checked the oil on the stick after a week? On mine it appears overfilled! In contrast, checking it 20 minutes after a normal drive shows right on the money!

His practice is to unplug the fuel pump relay prior to turning on key, then turning the engine over untill the oil pressure needle moves up a tick (12-15 sec.) Then re-install the relay and fire.

This makes sense to me, and I would like to know other thoughts on dry starts over time. Maybe Tony or Justin could post in there thoughts also.

There's no difference in those ways the engine is still turning resulting in friction one way or the other

I only drive my truck 2 times every 2 weeks during the summer, and not at all during the winter. Dodge dealer (viper tech) just told me to use a thicker oil.

mine sits for a month at a time before i start it....:dontknow: use the viper filter and 15w50

You guys worry to much. as long as you park it with oil in the pan , no air can be introduced that would enable the oil pump and filter to empty. so in 2 years you decide to start it up, the oil , which is synthetic, is still where it was left at the lifter galley's.Soon as it fires, the oil is splashing around lubing the cylinders and oil pressure is instantaneous. the key is leave the oil alone! change the oil after it warms up and before driving it to aggressively.

There's no difference in those ways the engine is still turning resulting in friction one way or the other

The low RPM from the starter combined with remaining oil film will be fine untill a few pounds of pressure are developed from cranking w/o the load of ignition. Wow, that was a long one!:D

Like I said before, oil choice will determine quality of film.:rock:

It will be good too see exactly where the damage actually is on the engine.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back