Engine dyno Striker heads, Comp Cam

Silverback said:
Port matching of the heads and intake is cheap, easy to do, and well worth the effort. If you have the time and inclination to pull and disassemble the head you can also take a sanding burr to the ports and smooth them up.
Silver, I have been talking alot to Joe Donovan about this for my build (to be done in a couple of weeks) so I might be able to add a little bit on this.

Porting the intake on this motor is extremely difficult due to it's design. To do a full intake port job correctly you would need to cut the intake in half long ways in order to reach all the necessary areas and then reweld the intake back up afterwards. That would run into a lot of money that probably wouldn't be cost effective for the gains realized ($ per hp).

The outside intake runners can be reached fairly easily and can be port matched to the heads with minimal effort. This will provide some improvement in flow but not as well as you might see if you open up the intake and do the full port job.

One just has to decide where to draw the line and how much $$ they want to spend in this area, especially on a N/A build like mine. I plan to do the outside runners (and the heads, of course) but I won't be able to do before and after dyno runs with just the port matching (sorry).

Hope this helps.

sleeper said:
Stock rwhp is more like 420 hp from what I heard. Prof you must of gotten the top secret engine. Maybe a show or magazine truck?

I was shocked, and so was Sean Roe...I did not pursue a special engine, in reality, my best friend is a BMW nut who has a auto dealers license in Florida, saw the truck at an auction in Orlando...he bought it for me. It had been driven into a thicket by a youngster and his father re-thought the wisdom of a teenager with this vehicle and immediately sold it.

Now, all that power is creating a real traction problem...maybe it will be corrected by the Mopar Nationals, maybe never.

ViperTruck2933 said:
Silver, I have been talking alot to Joe Donovan about this for my build (to be done in a couple of weeks) so I might be able to add a little bit on this.

Porting the intake on this motor is extremely difficult due to it's design. To do a full intake port job correctly you would need to cut the intake in half long ways in order to reach all the necessary areas and then reweld the intake back up afterwards. That would run into a lot of money that probably wouldn't be cost effective for the gains realized ($ per hp).

The outside intake runners can be reached fairly easily and can be port matched to the heads with minimal effort. This will provide some improvement in flow but not as well as you might see if you open up the intake and do the full port job.

One just has to decide where to draw the line and how much $$ they want to spend in this area, especially on a N/A build like mine. I plan to do the outside runners (and the heads, of course) but I won't be able to do before and after dyno runs with just the port matching (sorry).

Hope this helps.

Sorry if I caused confusion.

I agree, porting the entire intake would be close to impossible, and that is not what I meant.

On the intake manifold I would only match the ports to the heads by going up the port an inch at maximum. On the heads I was suggesting that you not only match up the ports, but that you also disassemble them and use a sanding burr to smooth the passages, not actually enlarge them.

Here is something to think about in regard to the intake. You could cut it in half in a horizontal plane and port it. Then instead of welding it back together you could weld parting plane features to both halfs and then bolt it back together. Of course you would want to do the welding prior to the porting as it will warp a little and need to be machined to true it up again.

Something to think about.

Prof said:
I was shocked, and so was Sean Roe...I did not pursue a special engine, in reality, my best friend is a BMW nut who has a auto dealers license in Florida, saw the truck at an auction in Orlando...he bought it for me. It had been driven into a thicket by a youngster and his father re-thought the wisdom of a teenager with this vehicle and immediately sold it.

Now, all that power is creating a real traction problem...maybe it will be corrected by the Mopar Nationals, maybe never.

Have you had any problems Prof? Other then the driver... :D

Mine was 8.6 when done. How do we know his motor is 8:1? Just because the pistons are, means nothing. Figuring CR accurately is a pretty involved formula, you'd need to cc the head.

Manic said:
Have you had any problems Prof? Other then the driver... :D

The driver is the real problem...engine makes huge power, never missed a beat...I have a totally reliable, incredibly quick, vicious sounding, truck that will probably live forever. I have the heat deflector for the supercharger (see NBT's) but cannot bring myself to put it on...it just seems to kill the visual impact of the Top Mount Twin Screw sc. I may use it at the track.

Gary will have a shot at the truck soon, so he might have some suggestions and alterations...I think this will be his first look at a Roe top mount...I am looking forward to his input.

1Fast400 said:
Mine was 8.6 when done. How do we know his motor is 8:1? Just because the pistons are, means nothing. Figuring CR accurately is a pretty involved formula, you'd need to cc the head.

True statement although it's not all that complicated. All it is, is the ratio of the cylinder volume (including the head and any pop up or dish in the pistons) at BDC and TDC.

Generally as long as there are no other significant changes made to the engine the C/R of the pistons will be with in a point or 2 of what they advertize.

You probably know this. Is there a difference in the combustion chamber CC's between the stock and Striker heads?

Silverback said:
Sorry if I caused confusion.

I agree, porting the entire intake would be close to impossible, and that is not what I meant.

On the intake manifold I would only match the ports to the heads by going up the port an inch at maximum. On the heads I was suggesting that you not only match up the ports, but that you also disassemble them and use a sanding burr to smooth the passages, not actually enlarge them.

Here is something to think about in regard to the intake. You could cut it in half in a horizontal plane and port it. Then instead of welding it back together you could weld parting plane features to both halfs and then bolt it back together. Of course you would want to do the welding prior to the porting as it will warp a little and need to be machined to true it up again.

Something to think about.

Good points and a very interesting idea. :rock:

Prof said:
The driver is the real problem...engine makes huge power, never missed a beat...I have a totally reliable, incredibly quick, vicious sounding, truck that will probably live forever. I have the heat deflector for the supercharger (see NBT's) but cannot bring myself to put it on...it just seems to kill the visual impact of the Top Mount Twin Screw sc. I may use it at the track.

Gary will have a shot at the truck soon, so he might have some suggestions and alterations...I think this will be his first look at a Roe top mount...I am looking forward to his input.

Thanks for the update Roy. I like your setup for up here where there isn't any viper tuners. Any FI setup looks great but there is something about the Top mount setup that steps it up a couple notches...

Any news on the rear end?

Will

Manic said:
Thanks for the update Roy. I like your setup for up here where there isn't any viper tuners. Any FI setup looks great but there is something about the Top mount setup that steps it up a couple notches...

Any news on the rear end?

Will

No news on the rear end...but Stinker will keep us posted...I MISS MT TRUCK, the garage looks so empty!

I'm sure Boomer will keep my truck running the way Sean set it up! And while he might not be willing to admit it...Stingray has a lot of viper knowledge...can program the VEC...etc....so in a pinch, I can call him...he is only 30 or 40 minutes away.

1Fast400 said:

Good question 1Fast. As Silver said, the formula is rather easy. pi R squared x cylinder depth at BDC as a ratio to the same at TDC.

JM lists a substantial range of chamber size (58-82cc), so I would have to ask what the standard Striker Street head volume measures. The 8:1 size I quoted is for what I believe is the net CR for an otherwise unmodified engine. I believe my cylinders were honed to 10 over, adding to the cylinder volume, thus raising the net CR. So, we could certainly guesstimate based on the difference in chamber volumes plus the .010 over to get close. My builder said that my net CR ought to be in the 8.2:1 range (he has built several engines with the various JM heads too). That's close enough for me.

But in any case, I obviously lowered the CR for supercharging. The X-Metal upgraded system is unpacked and ready to install.

As far as intake stuff is concerned, head-intake port matching is all that I had done. I personally believe that the GenIII intake has some serious shortcomings, especially after talking with Sean Roe about how lean that intake goes on certain cylinders when under boost (over a full point on the AFR!), and you can guess which ones I'm talking about!

Spending a dime on making that manifold flow better (aside from port matching) would be a dime wasted, IMHO. I almost went with a GENII intake, but didn't want the extra workto adapt it. Besides, I already had Boomer coat my stocker. It may be a project for another day though...

I did go with an RSI single-blade throttle body (someone asked about larger throttle bodies), that should help a bit to reduce bottle-necking there.

The numbers listed were from an engine dyno, and the truck put down a best of 438rwtq on the chassis dyno before I broke it (only mods at the time were a K&N CAI and Mag cat back).

For those of you who don't know, I broke #3 with an STS turbo system on it. For those of you who did know, I sold that kit to someone who made it work with a different engine management system. The sytem was putting out 12psi, WAY more than the 6psi it was supposed to!!:mad: Between the overboost, and the fact that the STS fuel system didn't have a program loaded into it made quick work of that piston.

The engine is in transit, and scheduled to arrive on the 28th. With a bit of luck, and some hard work, I ought to have the engine in and running by March's Seattle/Tacoma GTG. A few weeks after that, we ought to be getting those custom diff/axle assemblies in, and I'll put the Caltracks on at the same time. This rig with 4.56 gears and slicks should be a helluva ride.

I hope to get some time to run plenty of passes at our local strip before the MoPar drags at SIR this summer. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to drag racing, so it's time to get experienced.:D

More about the compression ratio:

Just spoke with Jeff Morys (JM Cylinder heads), who quoted the chamber volume on the heads he set up for me at about 75cc. I believe the factory GENII and GENIII heads have 78cc chambers. I'm still thinking we're coming in at 8.2:1, but have a call in to my builder for a definitive answer. (Assuming anyone else really cares...:D ).

BTW, Jeff was pretty impressed by the power his heads made on this engine at such a low compression ratio. He said to expect this engine to make a significant amount of power under boost (providing the fuel delivery will accommodate it).

Snot blower is more correct!

Damn, I want to see that thing fly!

Silverback said:
I think Roy is referring to the ROE unit. He's turned into a Blower Snob.;) :D
;;

Is it just me? I call positive displacement units like the Roe a blower, and the centrifugal units superchargers.

So, does he mean Roe when he says "supercharge it", or is he just saying slap some forced induction on that biotch?:dontknow:

I just mean don't be satisfied with one atmosphere of pressure. And increase it now.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back