engine knock bad!!

71dusterjon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well i finally got done doing my engine bay like carl but when i started the motor i had a nice engine knock. These are the things i changed:
-switch from champion-10 spark plugs to ngk iridium 11 plugs (i was told that with these plugs to leave the gap at .040)
-put in a crankcase vent into exhaust
-relocated battery to bed (1gauge but i think i need a bigger cable cuz has a hard time starting)
-new exhaust gaskets
-cleaned the tips of the injectors

Now i was told by Shell that the gas in phx has a shelf life of 3 weeks. well its been longer than 3 weeks so i drove the truck to the gas station to put new fuel gas in plus about two cap full of that lucas fuel injector cleaner.

Could it be that my engine is tuned for the champ 10 (hotter plugs) than the ones i put in?

What can i do to make the engine run right? could it be that the battery cable is too small to draw amps to ignite the fuel? Any help would be great.

Last edited:
71dusterjon said:
well i finally got done doing my engine bay like carl but when i started the motor i had a nice engine knock. These are the things i changed:
-switch from champion-12 spark plugs to ngk iridium 11 plugs
-relocated battery to bed (1gauge but i think i need a bigger cable cuz has a hard time starting)
-new exhaust gaskets

Now i was told by Shell that the gas in phx has a shelf life of 3 weeks. well its been longer than 3 weeks so i drove the truck to the gas station to put new fuel gas in plus about two cap full of that lucas fuel injector cleaner.

Could it be that my engine is tuned for the champ 12 (hotter plugs) than the ones i put in?

What can i do to make the engine run right? could it be that the battery cable is too small to draw amps to ignite the fuel? Any help would be great.

Are you sure it is detonation?? Is it at idle? Under load?

well i dont see how my engine could have a knock since before i pulled the headers, intake, valve covers, plugs, and s/c it was running perfect.

I believe it's dentonation/knock because all i changed were the plugs and i have a steady smoke screen out the back.

ok so if the smoke is related to the crankcase vent, could the new spark plugs be my issue?

All i ever put in this truck was 91. i've only driven the truck 4 miles since i got it started and that was to gas station and back.

no knock sensors on the 04s'. does it buck? if so it could be TPS (throttle position sensor) mine went bad,ran real rough.
hope those are the correct plugs and not too long!

doesn't buck. could it be that dc performance had the crankcase vent run into the intake but im running it now into the exhaust. maybe this is causing the a/f to be leam making it knock?

Also i'm having trouble starting the truck; it cranks slow almost even with new battery. i've read this can be from poor gas but im not sure.

Last edited:
71dusterjon said:
-switch from champion-10 spark plugs to ngk iridium 11 plugs (i was told that with these plugs to leave the gap at .040)
-new exhaust gaskets

Could it be that my engine is tuned for the champ 10 (hotter plugs) than the ones i put in?

Make sure the plug wires are in the Correct order. You may be cross firing and this will sometimes produce heavy detonation. If it's Knocking don't drive it until you figure it out.

well i tried routing the crankcase vent lines like i had them before. i'm sure that i have the wires going to the right cylinder. i'll double check though.

Now i'm having a hard time starting the truck to see if what i changed worked. with plugs out the starter will spin the motor no problem. once plugs are in it can barely turn the motor. any reason?

the plugs i have are ngk zfr6fix-11. these are iridium. I thought these iridium plugs would be better. should i switch to just normal plugs?

71duster. Now i'm having a hard time starting the truck to see if what i changed worked. with plugs out the starter will spin the motor no problem. once plugs are in it can barely turn the motor. any reason?[/quote said:
by that test sounds like the plugs are too long?????

& it sort of sounds like a possible timin prob????
:dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow:

71dusterjon said:
so then what plugs should i go for? just go back to the one that were in there before the champion rc10?

by the you tube sounds like mechanical'

valve trainish.

but she accelerates smooth.

you still on stock short block???

yep stock short block. i can pull the valve covers to see whats going on but i made sure i kept the valve trained covered when i took the covers off.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back