Engine light, smoke, and fuel smell

Well, had truck towed to my shop.

Key turned to on, no engine light...

Started up... No smoke, lights, running fine... :confused: :dontknow:

Ohms and voltage seem to be fine...

Gonna swap injector with the next one in the line and see what happens.

How much for a new injector anyway? If it throws a code on the next cylinder, it must be the injector I'm guessing.

This is very strange...

Well, got the truck back today. Replaced the injector on cyl #1. No light, truck ran fine for a few miles, then I went around a turn and it bogged again. Soon after, engine light, and same code P0201. I'm at a loss now.

This seems to occur right after I make a turn. Seems that it happens when I make a right turn more. :confused:
It feels almost as if the inertia of the turn either floods the engine, but who knows. I'm certainly no expert so I'm just guessing. I am getting very frustrated because I don't have anyone close to bring the truck to that knows what I'm dealing with.
I'm also being told that it may be an electrical issue as I turn the wheel. That maybe a wire is being crossed and that is causing all this. Either way, I'm very frustrated and want to drop the truck off the fkn empire state building. :mad:

I left a message for Stinker but I think he may have already taken the sheep away for the holiday ;).

disconnect the battery both neg and pos let sit for about an hr hook it back up and take her for a ride. Sometimes just clearing codes after a fix doesnt work then you do a hard reset, which if it is an electrical problem you will definetly throw a code quick since the computer will be in learn mode so drive it for a while (3omins) if it dosent throw a code right away.Just a thought

DevilDawg3097 said:
disconnect the battery both neg and pos let sit for about an hr hook it back up and take her for a ride. Sometimes just clearing codes after a fix doesnt work then you do a hard reset, which if it is an electrical problem you will definetly throw a code quick since the computer will be in learn mode so drive it for a while (3omins) if it dosent throw a code right away.Just a thought
dawg I talked with him and dig this

it does it going around corners and when comming to a full stop

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
dawg I talked with him and dig this

it does it going around corners and when comming to a full stop
Usually it is a bad ground when shit like that happens:dontknow: check the grounds.

DevilDawg3097 said:
Usually it is a bad ground when shit like that happens:dontknow: check the grounds.
I thought either that or there is something in the tank or the sock has came off, or the pump has come loose in its holdings

Just got the seafoam. Try it in morning. Still can't figured it out. Turns seem to start the issue but after a turn, it doesn't go away until I reset computer. And even resetting it doesn't always make problem go away, it just clears the code until it gets bad enough for it to start again.

Must be fuel related. Either too much or not enough. But let's say the turn starts the problem or a hard stop. Why would it continue to run bad after I reset computer?

Is it possible that it is the actual injector circuit? Maybe the circuit is bad. I mean, the code I get does say injector circuit. So what is a injector circuit? And is it easily replaced???

check for continuity on the harness after you run it and get a code. Maybe in your harness. Ive noticed with the bassanis heat is a bitch under the hood and after crusin around for a while, when you stop feel some of the wires on your harness I know mine felt like rubber. So I have heat shielded most of my wiring around my exhaust and intake. I checked the 04 schematic and there is no resistor inline on our set up that I can see.

Well, ran the seafoam through this morning. Sucker didn't even smoke one bit, nothing. Engine light still on, took for spin around block. No smoke, but as soon as I turned right, it started the same thing again until I let off gas and drove straight. But it still has a miss to it. At idle, it's fine.

Any ideas on what a injector circuit is?

TREKER said:
Well, ran the seafoam through this morning. Sucker didn't even smoke one bit, nothing. Engine light still on, took for spin around block. No smoke, but as soon as I turned right, it started the same thing again until I let off gas and drove straight. But it still has a miss to it. At idle, it's fine.

Any ideas on what a injector circuit is?
In other words there is a short somewhere in your harness for injector 1. Could be in the clip that goes on the injector, or down where #1 of the harness goes into the rest. And very very worst case scenerio(which i do not personally think) Ecm is fugged. But more than likey it is a short in the harnes on 1. when you pull back into the drive way, leave the truck running. If you dont have a meter a test light will work. If you have a meter check for continuity on the injector harness if your getting continuity you have a short in that harness.No meter and just a test light. Get a paper clip straighten one side so you can put it in the harness and clip the ground end on, then check it if the light does not come on you have a short.

The fuel injectors are electrical solenoids. The​

injector contains a pintle that closes off an orifice at
the nozzle end. When electric current is supplied to
the injector, the armature and needle move a short
distance against a spring, allowing fuel to flow out
the orifice. Because the fuel is under high pressure, a
fine spray is developed in the shape of a pencil
stream. The spraying action atomizes the fuel, adding
it to the air entering the combustion chamber.​

The nozzle (outlet) ends of the injectors are positioned

into openings in the intake manifold just
above the intake valve ports of the cylinder head.
The engine wiring harness connector for each fuel
injector is equipped with an attached numerical tag
(INJ 1, INJ 2 etc.). This is used to identify each fuel
injector.
The injectors are energized individually in a
sequential order by the Powertrain Control Module
(PCM). The PCM will adjust injector pulse width by
switching the ground path to each individual injector
on and off. Injector pulse width is the period of time
that the injector is energized. The PCM will adjust
injector pulse width based on various inputs it
receives.
Battery voltage is supplied to the injectors through
the ASD relay.
The PCM determines injector pulse width based on
various inputs.​

PCM OUTPUT​

The nozzle ends of the injectors are positioned into​

openings in the intake manifold just above the intake
valve ports of the cylinder head. The engine wiring
harness connector for each fuel injector is equipped
with an attached numerical tag (INJ 1, INJ 2 etc.).
This is used to identify each fuel injector with its
respective cylinder number.
The injectors are energized individually in a sequential
order by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM).
The PCM will adjust injector pulse width by switching
the ground path to each individual injector on and off.
Injector pulse width is the period of time that the injector
is energized. The PCM will adjust injector pulse
width based on various inputs it receives.
Battery voltage (12 volts +) is supplied to the injectors
through the ASD relay. The ASD relay will shutdown
the 12 volt power source to the fuel injectors if
the PCM senses the ignition is on, but the engine is
not running. This occurs after the engine has not
been running for approximately 1.8 seconds.
The PCM determines injector on-time (pulse width)
based on various inputs.​
REMOVAL

thats just it he has, and the burn is clean, thats why I dont really think its in the injector circuit, to me anyway, I would have that guy trekker see if he can install a fuel pressure guage so that he can see it going down the road, then cut a couple turns and see if the pressure is dropping?

fuel1.jpg

fuel2.jpg

I don't have a fuel pressure gauge Tony but I'm sure my mechanic has one. Thanks for the input guys. Keep the ideas coming.

Took it to post office. No engine light, and ran okay, not perfect, but ok.

What should the fuel pressure be constant at?

TREKER said:
I don't have a fuel pressure gauge Tony but I'm sure my mechanic has one. Thanks for the input guys. Keep the ideas coming.

Took it to post office. No engine light, and ran okay, not perfect, but ok.

What should the fuel pressure be constant at?
Between 50-55psi.

I jsut cant get away from somthing in the tank for some reason,

I agree with dawg is sounds electrical, but my only deal is why would it do it going around a curve?
unless maybe the unit in the tank somehow is loose,and the connection there in the tank has worked loose somehow,

I just keep remembering one I had in the chevy shop years ago, would shut off going around curves an stops, the unit had come loose in the tank, and would jossle around a bit an dloose pressure,
drove out head tech nutts for a week till the wash boy came up and told him to drop the tank, hehehe, one of those things you jsut dont ever forget:D

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back