Engine light, smoke, and fuel smell

How difficult is removing the fuel tank to check this thing? The truck must be clean because the seafoam didn't smoke at all. The tank is a good idea. It would explain the curve and stop part, but why just injector 1? Maybe it's the first cyl to fire that is getting too much or not enough fuel?

I need to get this resolved because I'm going crazy here. I just don't want to spend hundreds fixing something that isn't broken until I find the culprit. Maybe I will just buy nystevs truck :).

its a pain but not too bad, you have a couple connectors on the top that can be a bear to reach, one electrical an the fuel and a couple vaccum, use a jack under the tank , and remve the bolts that hold the straps and lower it down a bit then undo the connections, then remove tank, but the truck has to be high enough to get it out from under truck,, then there is a ring on top of the pump, jsut pop it reverse an the pump assembly will come out

I gave Tators a call this morning but seems they are closed for the weekend. I'm going to print out this thread and make an appointment with them. I think someone needs to drive the truck a bit to trouble shoot the problem. I may not be describing things right either.

Call tator monday , explain it to him buddy, see what he thinks before you go tearing into things, its hard to diagnose on the phone or internet without physically beign there, dawg has done as awesome job tho:rock:
but I am interested to see what he says buddy, I will be outta town , but ya got my number good sir, please dont hesitate to call

I was going to say go to Tator's, but you already are...:D Chuck will take good care of you Sir!

Thanks guys for all the help. Matt for the hook up on the injectors, Stinker with the advice, etc. This is a great place for help.

Ill call him Monday and try to see what I can do. Maybe Tators can figure it out. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again.

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
We all work together buddy, thats jsut the way it is buddy:D
Very True Brother. Thats why this is the only site I log onto:rock: But no seriously when it comes to electrical problems it usually never is what you think( unless you left something unplugged) and looking at the schematic again dodge is retarded when it comes to electrical. Because the IAT,MAP,MAF O2,EVAP etc is tied into the injector harness:dontknow: :dontknow: ground side. Just for shits and giggles check the wiring to the IAT and map sensor, just feel the sheathing if it is soft and rubbery after letting it cool the wiring can be on the outs. Remember wiring can handle the heat when it passes through, but not when it is heat transfer from a motor. Just some other shtuff to check before monday.A Brother gotta save a buck now a days:marchmellow: :marchmellow:

Truck is going to Tators this weekend. :rock: Spoke to Chuck just now. He said it may just be a short. May have to trace it back to PCM.

Either way, I feel much better that its going somewhere that has experienced people working on it rather than the actual dealers here... :mad:

Thanks again to everyone for the help. I just want my truck back in working order.

TREKER said:
Truck is going to Tators this weekend. :rock: Spoke to Chuck just now. He said it may just be a short. May have to trace it back to PCM.

Either way, I feel much better that its going somewhere that has experienced people working on it rather than the actual dealers here... :mad:

Thanks again to everyone for the help. I just want my truck back in working order.
Give him a big "Howdy" from Joemags. hope it all works out for you. Are you driving or towing the truck?

joemags54 said:
Give him a big "Howdy" from Joemags. hope it all works out for you. Are you driving or towing the truck?

Will do, Joe... He is a great guy.. Told me to tell you "Drive that truck" ;) Driving it... It drives fine until I throw the code, then I have to reset PCM. I should make it there without a problem.

JTS VENOM PERFORMANCE said:
keep us informed buddy

Will do Tony.. And thanks again for the ear last Friday.

Hopefully, this will be an easy fix and I can help someone else out if it happens to them in the future.

TREKER said:
Will do Tony.. And thanks again for the ear last Friday.

Hopefully, this will be an easy fix and I can help someone else out if it happens to them in the future.
most def buddy, I like learning new things ever single day:rock:

Well, I believe my troubles are finally over with this issue....

Truck went back to Tator's a few weeks ago. Since I was still having trouble after the injector was changed, the PCM replaced, changed the plugs, and ran every test possible, there was only one piece of the puzzle not addressed. The actual wire in the harness from the injector to the PCM.

Chuck ran a completely separate wire, bypassing the the existing wire and ran it from the injector, directly to the PCM. Well, it seems to have finally worked. I've driven her about 250 miles since and no codes... :)

I also finally got around to loading my programs from the SCT tuner and WOW!!! :burnout:

So the rig is finally bringing smiles back to my face instead of anger and frustration. She is running very strong now. Love the new 180 engine temps with the new stat as well.

Lost entire summer last year without the truck. I hope to add some miles this time. I think I just hit 27k on the clock. :rock:

Thanks to everyone with ideas and support...

Great to hear you got it figured out! :rock:Nothing more frustrating when little things that effect the whole truck and limit you from using it!:(

Great to hear you got it figured out! :rock:Nothing more frustrating when little things that effect the whole truck and limit you from using it!:(

Exactly.... I was really bummed out.. And to think it was a damn faulty wire the whole time...

Glad you got it fixed....dang!..almost a year since the problem started...I would have pushed the truck off a cliff before now...:eek:

If it wasn't fixed from that, I already had plans to put concrete block on the pedal and launch it into the Long Island sound....

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back