EVA monitor

Lets just say that the poster and I had a very good conversation last night :D

You should just ban that poster, Jeff! If I ever find out who that trouble maker is I'll personally edited for posters own good :D

**EDIT**

And just to summarize what I think I learned in this thread: If you are having trouble with the local EVA Monitor, you can just pay the guy a quarter and it goes away. Is that correct? :D

No.....

is what usually happens is that every discussion has a side discussion

and

EVA machines are monitored by the local health departments and vehicle computers are not flawless when it comes to ODB checks leaving the owners to look for ways to correct something the manufacturer should have addressed years ago....

I think

So back on subject, You mean to tell me no one has looked into this ,with all the ones here who think they are master 10 mechanics ,the ones who comment on everything have nothing to offer ,I,m shocked ,well not really Heck I thought even a VW driver would know this .I figured for sure the three or four know it all,s (u know who u are too) would chime in .

Last edited:
Nope, I'm stumped

Serious question: What is an EVA Monitor?

My guess is that he is referring to the evaporative emission system, such as charcoal canister, leak detection pump and things of that nature. :dontknow:

My guess is that he is referring to the evaporative emission system, such as charcoal canister, leak detection pump and things of that nature. :dontknow:

ding ding ding you win ,
your prize is nothing lol
the monitor is what is on your ecm that monitors what you mentioned ,on a 10 you have 6 i think with out getting my odb2 out ,when you do an inspection here they check to see if all monitors are set ,more than two not set no inspection sticker ,
On both my 10,s the eva monitor never would set does not throw a code unless it is a big leak ,i have no leak just wont set on ecm :dontknow:

ding ding ding you win ,
your prize is nothing lol
the monitor is what is on your ecm that monitors what you mentioned ,on a 10 you have 6 i think with out getting my odb2 out ,when you do an inspection here they check to see if all monitors are set ,more than two not set no inspection sticker ,
On both my 10,s the eva monitor never would set does not throw a code unless it is a big leak ,i have no leak just wont set on ecm :dontknow:

that subject has been brought up recent. folks removin certain parts if not all the evap system & not throwin a light.

the question can the evap system be turned off by a tuner, has also been brought up. to my knowledge with no answer.

thats the code that breaks or makes it to get a sticker

Have you talked with Torrie? Most vehicles can be gone into and told to report no issue, and not to set engine codes. He should be able to set what you need. Is it possible our PCMs don't monitor that and that's it's already turned off :dontknow:

that subject has been brought up recent. folks removin certain parts if not all the evap system & not throwin a light.

the question can the evap system be turned off by a tuner, has also been brought up. to my knowledge with no answer.

thats the code that breaks or makes it to get a sticker

Its like the rear o2 sensors ,if you just turn them off ,then monitor on ecm stays off ,taking canistar off wont throw a code but if they checked with obd2 the monitor is blinking not on ,so ,if the only one they have off is that STICKER ,if you have more than two on NO STICKER
So if it is just a sensor Im wondering what resistor will be needed to send a working signal back ,these are the things that make me go mmmmmmmm

i guess it depends which way ya want to go then???

either see if ya can turn the system off

or fool the ECM that the system is workin perfectly, like O2 sims

Yup. But what is original problem failing both trucks? Or did I miss that part? Did you remove leak detector and charcoal canister? Vacuum line not hooked up? I agree though a resistor pack for a few bucks should simulate a correct signal. You'd have to see what resistance it'd wants to see.

p1486 is what screws with me

would love to turn it off. long as it don't show whacky on the OBDII test.

& remove the whole system.

it puts bout as much gunk in the intake as with the stock PCV system

Last edited:
Yup. But what is original problem failing both trucks? Or did I miss that part? Did you remove leak detector and charcoal canister? Vacuum line not hooked up? I agree though a resistor pack for a few bucks should simulate a correct signal. You'd have to see what resistance it'd wants to see.
never turned anything off or disconnect anything ,on both of them i traced back lines and found no problem with them ,if there is a leak you get a cell and a check engine light ,I never get that at all ,but when i hook up my obd2 the eva monitor is always blinking saying it is in rest mode but never resets ,,unless you have an obd2 you would never see this .

EVA = Evaporative system?!?

If so, you must have your fuel tank above 1/2 during drive cycles.

Earliy in this thread I posted this. I recently went through this issue. To solve it, I reset the ECU by unplugging the negative side of battery and turning on the ignition key for a minimum of 30 seconds. Turn off key and reconnect battery.

My 05 RC requried 5 drive cycles minimum with 1/2 tank of fuel or more to allow the Evap system to become "Ready".

I can send you the drive cycle instructions if you need them.

I also did NOT have any CEL's.

Hope this helps you.

James if you want to manually run it follow these directions or if you're ever in Austin I can force run it for you... Hope this is what you're looking for.. let me know

Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection with Purge Monitor
This monitor requires a cool down cycle, usually an overnight soak for at least 8 hours without the engine running. The ambient temperature must decrease overnight - parking the vehicle outside is advised. To run this test the fuel level must be between 15-85% full. Criteria for EVAP monitor:

Engine off time greater than one hour .
Fuel Level between 15% and 85%.
Start Up ECT and IAT within 10°C (18°F).
Vehicle started and run until Purge Monitor reports a result.
NOTE: If the vehicle does not report a result and the conditions where correct. It may take up to two weeks to fail the small leak monitor. DO NOT use this test to attempt to determine a fault. Use the appropriate service information procedure for finding a small leak. If there are no faults and the conditions are correct this test will run and report a pass. Note the Small leak test can find leaks less than 10 thousands of an inch. If a small leak is present it takes approximately one week of normal driving to report a failure.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back