Exhaust & Muffler System

06SRT10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I understand most of us have our dual exhaust system going into one muffler, then back out to dual exhaust. That seems to me to defeat the purpose of dual exhaust. Would making the system a "True" dual exhaust system, one muffler per exhaust pipe, change the sound or HP? Anyone have the two mufflers & how do you have them set up? Do you still have them side by side or exiting on different sides of the 10? What mufflers are you using?

I can chime in on the B&B system. The muffler is a "dual in - dual out" with an internal x-over system. Hense the deep, hefty sound without the snap, crackle and pop on decel or drone.
The dyno charts I saw on this design are really where its at. Robust power under peak with impressive gains all the way to redline.
So, at least on the B&B, the dyno testing showed what combination worked best to produce power with this engine. That is true dual vs. dual in /out style mufflers.
Funny, the stock muffler is a dual in / out with strait though baffles...... you think the OEM was onto something there.

Cheers!

Last edited:
I can chime in on the B&B system. The muffler is a "dual in - dual out" with an internal x-over system. Hense the deep, hefty sound without the snap, crackle and pop on decel or drone.
The dyno charts I saw on this design are really where its at. Robust power under peak with impressive gains all the way to redline.
So, at least on the B&B, the dyno testing showed what combination worked best to produce power with this engine. That is true dual vs. dual in /out style mufflers.
:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:Funny, the stock muffler is a dual in / out with strait though baffles...... you think the OEM was onto something there.:dontknow::dontknow::dontknow:

Cheers!

i've had the same thought. might have a better set up if they had not used an oil drum for the case.

From what I understand most of us have our dual exhaust system going into one muffler, then back out to dual exhaust. That seems to me to defeat the purpose of dual exhaust. Would making the system a "True" dual exhaust system, one muffler per exhaust pipe, change the sound or HP? Anyone have the two mufflers & how do you have them set up? Do you still have them side by side or exiting on different sides of the 10? What mufflers are you using?

been a few guys here run dual Spin Tech mufflers

i've had the same thought. might have a better set up if they had not used an oil drum for the case.

Looks like they used the big "Drum" to further expand the sound and pressure waves to meet sound regulations. Flow is not bad, the second muffler on the tail pipe in addition to the cats is where the restriction is. :)

It just seemed to me, with true dual exhaust you would have two mufflers. Then it seems the exhaust would escape quicker than it would with one muffler with two in & two out. Better exhaust flow should = more HP. That's one reason we buy headers, I have the B&B. I think I'm talking myself into dual mufflers, but trying to justify the expense.

It just seemed to me, with true dual exhaust you would have two mufflers. Then it seems the exhaust would escape quicker than it would with one muffler with two in & two out. Better exhaust flow should = more HP. That's one reason we buy headers, I have the B&B. I think I'm talking myself into dual mufflers, but trying to justify the expense.

i'll take your B&B catback system if you wanna sell it...:D

The new Magnaflow's use their Tru-X Muffler now instead of the regular dual in/out....I know a lot of the guy's with the older system did not like them and has a lot of problems, maybe this new set up is different????? Magnaflow does make a nice product, I have used them in the past with great luck.....

For the first 140K miles I left the truck exhaust stock. I'm about to install JMB cat delete mid pipes, B&B muffler and leave the rest of the exhaust stock. More flow does not always mean better performance...

Question: If more flow doesn't mean more HP, why do the rails, funny cars on down, run straight out, headers open, no mufflers. Why wouldn't they have a complete exhaust system, muffler, exhaust pipes, etc. Why are we buying headers & most of us running 3" instead of 2" exhaust. I need to know if I'm wasting my money.

For the first 140K miles I left the truck exhaust stock. I'm about to install JMB cat delete mid pipes, B&B muffler and leave the rest of the exhaust stock. More flow does not always mean better performance...
Great move on the exhaust..:rock: Why did you wait so long?:)
B&B testing showed that the rear muffler behind the axle is more restrictive than the main muffler. Also, why have 3" mids and muffler, then drop to 2 1/2 tail pipes?

Question: If more flow doesn't mean more HP, why do the rails, funny cars on down, run straight out, headers open, no mufflers. Why wouldn't they have a complete exhaust system, muffler, exhaust pipes, etc. Why are we buying headers & most of us running 3" instead of 2" exhaust. I need to know if I'm wasting my money.

More or "additional" flow can mean more H.P. depending on application. On the Top Fuelers it's a moot point. Thay are blown and consume large amounts of fuel (up to 1.5 gallons a second)...Thus exhaust flow rate exceeds the abilities of ANY type of collector. Also, with this much flow and unburned fuel exiting the "zoomies", secondary combustion occurs at the pipe exit creating as much as 2500 pounds of force. Thus the shape and angle of the pipes is utilized for vehicle downforce, stability and believe it or not propulsion!!:rock:
Unfortunately, our big ol' trucks are just too heavy and inefficient:(. We need some back pressure to generate as much power under peak (torque), for as long as possible to push em' around. Pick and choose your mods so that you maintain that huge benefit. Some cam, head and header combo's push the powerband up the rpm scale at the cost of low end thrust. If all you do is run it from 4000-6200 r.p.m. at the strip... that works. In the real world, the hand of god pushing 5,000+ pounds right off idle to 5,500 is a wonderful thing.
I'd pick a combonation that has been dyno proven to work best in that environment with your combination. Of course, overall sound and drone (or lack there of) may override outright flow. :)
It looks to me like you already have one of the best systems avaliable. Keep it.

Cheers!

I say if your not happy with what you have then change it. I personally am not a fan of the b&b exhaust products others here thinks it the greatest thing around and no others compare. You won't know what you really like or want tell you try different mufflers.

I say if your not happy with what you have then change it. I personally am not a fan of the b&b exhaust products others here thinks it the greatest thing around and no others compare. You won't know what you really like or want tell you try different mufflers.

Yes true. However, the OP wants to know if he is wasting his $$
:)

Great move on the exhaust..:rock: Why did you wait so long?:)
B&B testing showed that the rear muffler behind the axle is more restrictive than the main muffler. Also, why have 3" mids and muffler, then drop to 2 1/2 tail pipes?

Cheers!

Why so long? Too busy driving it lol. Yes, I'm aware of rear muffler restriction. Don't really care....I'm more interested in sound quality. I have other vehicles to go fast with....the truck will never compete so why try? Im removing the cats and know noise level greatly increases with that deletion. Leaving stock behind muffler will hopefully keep noise level down. If not so loud I may remove them to see and if still acceptable to my ears then I'll have custom pipes made. I suspect it will be just right by deleting cats and swapping to B&B muffler.

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back