FINALLY bringing my Spirit R/T home...

Drove the car home straight through on Sat night. Very comfortable and fun to drive. Now just have to get it inspected and then it will be daily driven as much as possible. :)

I'm sure it will be more fun than the Cavalier! :D

Very underrated engines for the time. I still own Shelby GLHS #241 of 1000
Built by Shelby Automobiles in Whittier, Ca.
It was the fastest thing on the streets in the late 80's! Yes faster than Porsches, Ferraris, and the famed Buick GNX and Conquest TSI's. The Shelby would indeed GLHS.
It's being slowly restored and hope to be on the streets 2016:burnout:

image.jpg

Very underrated engines for the time. I still own Shelby GLHS #241 of 1000
Built by Shelby Automobiles in Whittier, Ca.
It was the fastest thing on the streets in the late 80's! Yes faster than Porsches, Ferraris, and the famed Buick GNX and Conquest TSI's. The Shelby would indeed GLHS.
It's being slowly restored and hope to be on the streets 2016:burnout:

View attachment 56814

Very sharp!

I started out with a VW Beetle :(
My parents bought it brand new here at Waco Dodge. 1 of 2 sold here.
Friends in school had all the hot rods. Old Mustangs with Cleveland's, 67-72 Short Wide Chevys built up, Chevelles, Trans Ams, Camaros and a Conquest TSI, a Buick GNX and a Buick T-Type. When I got to "Borrow" the Shelby finally my Senior year, I put all shit talking in it's place. For a few years I talked up the Shelby yet never was able to produce. When I did, there wasn't a winner one in a 1/4 Mile race. Too speed overall yes but she still pushed 145 with ease and would be there long before any car with a faster top speed.
Drove from NY to Ontario, Ca back in the mid 90's and averaged 34mpg!!
Only, and I mean only downside was FWD but that's what kept all the power produced to the tires planted. It would not torque steer anywhere near like a Daytona Turbo or other FWD turbo cars.
The Getrag 5 speed and limited slip with Koni gas adjustable struts made launching a breeze. Literally after 2nd gear most races were over. Never ran better than a 13.2 but it was very traction limited.

I seriously miss mine some time. As a Chrysler tech I can remember going to the 1987 Chrysler new model presentation. Was told (by the factory rep) the GLHS 2-door was nicknamed "The Kid Killer" at the Shelby test center. I knew then I needed one desperately. When the first few showed up at dealership they diddent even want to let the techs drive them. Of course 2 of us grabed the prep sheets & took them out. It was raining & they were a handful. They ended up getting 5 cars total. Immediately they put a $3,000 dealer price adjustment on top of the sticker price. Sorry to say they were slow to sell. The young kids (like me at the time) loved them but could not afford the insurance. Also they were too much of an econobox for the older crowd.
The 2 of us eventually bought used ones.

Last edited:
21d40caf9a2ebb7ec92611da60d9b8bd.jpg

9a4b2202848e12d88d2fd7499592baf3.jpg

767ccc716e68709592b73a474e81a889.jpg

ea02d55a9db3a97011590b3f340e8c13.jpg

ae2566a4d663103acc2ff19cd10cbc9c.jpg

88215af12bd42f7020eb60a5d90d1efb.jpg

e1d55f42e1f16061b5a12cee3592687b.jpg

Thankfully I didn't have to ban the OP. He sent me the pictures for fear of meeting my good ole ban hammer. :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for posting the picts and not banning me, Andy. :)

I always wanted one of those lucky you

It's def a fun car, E. And gets awesome mileage. :)

I have the stock wheels back on now, and the shiny intake manifold is a custom big plenum unit I just had powder coated.

Yeah when you are rocking some big guns ya also need something in your fleet that gets the good mpgs. Except if you're Jay Leno or such...lol

Yeah my 01 Jeep Wrangler (4.0L) only gets a mile or two better than the truck.
The car looks great. What happned to the battery?

My Durango has my SRT beat on gas, just cuz it has a small fuel tank. Cuz god knows the MPG are not much better than the V10 truck.

Back