First dyno for the truck

wyoramsrt-10

Supporting Member
Reaction score
427 HP and 469 TQ. Just wondering how much more it would have been if it was not at altitude.

7be15d73.jpg

Those are some nice numbers. Your A/F ratio seems a little rich for an N/A engine if you tune it a little more aggressively in the high 12's to low 13's you should be able to get another 20 rwhp.

your truck is weak, just a FYI!!!

haha, how you been chuck?

Chuck, I think your losing TQ due to your headers. Come over to the house and will correct that problem:D

LitemUp said:
Those are some nice numbers. Your A/F ratio seems a little rich for an N/A engine if you tune it a little more aggressively in the high 12's to low 13's you should be able to get another 20 rwhp.

Yep just a tad rich. But it is pretty good for it being a mail order tune from DC Performance. At least I was better than tsmith03. He dipped down into the 9's for a little bit:dong: But that that was one cool backfire on the decel:burnout: :D
tsmith3 said:
Where did you get the file from Chuck?
I just took the paper copy and scanned it through my scanner, then put it up on Photobucket. Sure I will be over to swap you headers. And while we are at it I will take that Paxton off your hands. It is making you run way too rich:D
BurntRubber said:
your truck is weak, just a FYI!!!

haha, how you been chuck?
It may be weak but it was good enough to be 3rd fastest in PHX last year:rock: :D Haven't heard much about your car after the ROE. Figured you wraped it around a telephone pole and did not want anyone to know:p

wyoramsrt-10 said:
It may be weak but it was good enough to be 3rd fastest in PHX last year:rock: :D Haven't heard much about your car after the ROE. Figured you wraped it around a telephone pole and did not want anyone to know:p

i took it out this morning, i think i need a clutch....wait, i know i need a clutch:D was keeping it in one piece so you could drive it;) unless you dont want to:D
i need to get some video, and learn how to post it:marchmellow:

Yeah I need to figure out how to get my crap off my camera to download too. But I lost the install disk. Surprised your clutch lasted this long:burnout:

Nobody can argue you drive your vehicles:rock: and not let them sit and collect dust. Doubt the clutch will last by the time I get there:D So I will just wait for the new clutch and I would be more than happy to break it in for you:D I know a guy that bought an 08 and has only driven it a few times.

I dont get it?? I had more torque than you with just a stage 2. And i had more hp. Did you let the engine cool down like hell before you did the runs??

Annu Kumar said:
I dont get it?? I had more torque than you with just a stage 2. And i had more hp. Did you let the engine cool down like hell before you did the runs??

It's the elevation :argh:

wyoramsrt-10 said:
427 HP and 469 TQ. Just wondering how much more it would have been if it was not at altitude.

7be15d73.jpg

Normally the dyno numbers are already corrected for "kind of" sea-level. Your numbers are really close to what mine were with comparable mods (except I don't have headers or a c.a.i. and I had hi-flow cats instead of your outright cat delete.) Also, no shorty antenna. :)

I don't see the word-CORRECTED on the sheets but I do see SAE 1.23 which normally means just that.
You would have to ask your dyno tech what he was using but I'm pretty sure those are corrected numbers on your sheet.

As a rule of thumb, you lose 3.5% of your total horsepower for every 1000 feet you climb. That is for pure altitude above sea level only, however. So at 3000 feet you are down on h.p. roughly 10% from where you would otherwise be at sea-level.

What really makes a difference is factoring in Density Altitude. Our altitude here is 3500 feet but it is very rarely even that good when D.A. is calculated. THAT can make a huge difference in performance, either way. We are often at 6000+ feet here because of weather conditions.
If you are at 6100 feet in Parker, CO., (on your dyno sheet) do a D.A. calculation for there, and on a poor day your engine power would be really hurtin'! Even on a GOOD day. :(

Dropping from 3500 feet to sea-level is like adding a 100% efficiency 2 p.s.i. supercharger.

For example, in my own truck, a 12.5 sec. 1/4 mile run at a 3000 foot D.A. should drop to a 12 flat or a high 11 on a good sea-level track.
A crappy day here and I am back to a 13 flat or worse...

This is handy: http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp_dp.htm and is surprisingly accurate against dyno facilities and portable weather stations.

Rotten

Last edited:
rottenronnie said:
Normally the dyno numbers are already corrected for "kind of" sea-level. Your numbers are really close to what mine were with comparable mods (except I don't have headers or a c.a.i. and I had hi-flow cats instead of your outright cat delete.) Also, no shorty antenna. :)

I don't see the word-CORRECTED on the sheets but I do see SAE 1.23 which normally means just that.
You would have to ask your dyno tech what he was using but I'm pretty sure those are corrected numbers on your sheet.

As a rule of thumb, you lose 3.5% of your total horsepower for every 1000 feet you climb. That is for pure altitude above sea level only, however. So at 3000 feet you are down on h.p. roughly 10% from where you would otherwise be at sea-level.

What really makes a difference is factoring in Density Altitude. Our altitude here is 3500 feet but it is very rarely even that good when D.A. is calculated. THAT can make a huge difference in performance, either way. We are often at 6000+ feet here because of weather conditions.
If you are at 6100 feet in Parker, CO., (on your dyno sheet) do a D.A. calculation for there, and on a poor day your engine power would be really hurtin'! Even on a GOOD day. :(

Dropping from 3500 feet to sea-level is like adding a 100% efficiency 2 p.s.i. supercharger.

For example, in my own truck, a 12.5 sec. 1/4 mile run at a 3000 foot D.A. should drop to a 12 flat or a high 11 on a good sea-level track.
A crappy day here and I am back to a 13 flat or worse...

This is handy: http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_hp_dp.htm and is surprisingly accurate against dyno facilities and portable weather stations.

Rotten

I think the Prof can translate the calculations for us:)

Rottenronnie- Interesting the dyno might already be corrected. Another guy had his truck there and it had been dynoed close to sea level. Well he was down about 40 hp from the previous dyno and another guy with similar mods as me (without headers) was real close to me. I know dyno readings can be different from dyno to dyno and weather conditions.

So I am thinking it is an average motor because of the other truck that dynoed had similar results. Plus it looks like with my mods I would be closer to what Annu had based off the other dyno sheets I have seen. But as others have said it is just a tool for tuning and the track tells the rest of the story. Sometimes I hate this altitude:mad:

wyoramsrt-10 said:
Rottenronnie- Interesting the dyno might already be corrected. Another guy had his truck there and it had been dynoed close to sea level. Well he was down about 40 hp from the previous dyno and another guy with similar mods as me (without headers) was real close to me. I know dyno readings can be different from dyno to dyno and weather conditions.

So I am thinking it is an average motor because of the other truck that dynoed had similar results. Plus it looks like with my mods I would be closer to what Annu had based off the other dyno sheets I have seen. But as others have said it is just a tool for tuning and the track tells the rest of the story. Sometimes I hate this altitude:mad:

I was bummed about the results I had when my truck was new and bone stock: 389 (corrected) r.w.h.p. Then it went up to 423 with "similar" mods to yours. 423 by the way is where MANY stock Vipers seem to be (with of course manual transmissions), on a Dynojet. I'm guesstimating a 30 horsepower hit through the autos.

With regards to altitude...I feel your pain... Unless you have raced on a sea-level track and then traveled to a high(er) elevation track, you truly have no idea what a shit-kickin' the performance takes.

Last edited:
I run a 14.0-.2 up here now and ran a 13.3 in Phoenix last winter when I only had a flash in it. So I am curious as hell to what I can get now in better air.

hey chuck, why the run from 3500 rpms? is that to avoid the transmission kickdown?

i would like to see your torque at 2500 rpms

BurntRubber said:
hey chuck, why the run from 3500 rpms? is that to avoid the transmission kickdown?

i would like to see your torque at 2500 rpms
Yep tried 2K first in tow haul mode and it kicked down. Same thing @ 3K. Had to hit it around 3200 then stomp on it.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back