FREAKING DEALERS

sgt_bo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took my truck to a chrysler dealer, because they could get it in quicker than a dodge dealer, and well my tranny has no 2nd gear.

The service manager called me and told me my warranty was voided because i have Exhaust, headers, and no cats on it. He even mentioned the CAI voided the warranty.

Can anyone help me since my truck is now going to the dodge dealer, but they had mentioned it was already flagged as being voided and I would have to pay.

If anyone knows what I can do to get this done free I would really appreciate the help.

Truck has 14K miles on it.
you can even call me and let me know... 256.682.9544

Thanks
bo

sgt_bo said:
Took my truck to a chrysler dealer, because they could get it in quicker than a dodge dealer, and well my tranny has no 2nd gear.

The service manager called me and told me my warranty was voided because i have Exhaust, headers, and no cats on it. He even mentioned the CAI voided the warranty.

Can anyone help me since my truck is now going to the dodge dealer, but they had mentioned it was already flagged as being voided and I would have to pay.

If anyone knows what I can do to get this done free I would really appreciate the help.

Truck has 14K miles on it.
you can even call me and let me know... 256.682.9544

Thanks

bo

pm Eddie102870 he is down in bama , he might can help

They have to Prove that The Mods Caused the Failure of the transmission.
Try another Or More Friendly dealership.

Thats A Bunch Of Crap. How in the Hell Does A Cai Void the Warranty. Freak them A-Holes!!!!

one you are flagged your done, only a district rep needs to approve ...could possibly un-blacklist you?

Sorry man :(

that is just worng. the exhaust has nothing to do with your trans not shifting. i would say be nice to the chrysler dealer and take it to a dodge dealer besides that chrysler dealer does not have a viper tech. maybe they cant work on this truck and know it and are just saying we wont warranty it cause of ??????? we see modded trucks in our shop all the time and still cover warranty work on there vehicles. and dam you have to aks youself on a truck with a stock exhaust how may do you see that have been modified? ALOT

good luck

I talked to a friend of mine who is a service writter at a DC Dealer. He said that rarely the dealer denies a claim as long as the vehicle is within the warranty mileage range. He said the only mod that is questionable is the catless mids, simply because the emission controls have been altered. But as far as the exhaust and the cai those items are never questioned. The dealer sells and installs both items through mopar accessories. He told me that you should go to a dealer who you have dealt with in the past, possibly where you purchased your truck.

Silverback said:

Look its very simple the Mag Moss warranty act protects you from this BS.

If you do have to go to the area rep because you are 'flagged' let him/her know that the warranty act protects you.

If you put on a blower and then your engine went then yes its your fault.

If you get a new paint job and your tranny blows its not your fault. The dealer in question seems to be pulling that crap.

If the area rep knows his stuff he will know this is complete crap and take you off. I would also then ask him for an apology from the dealer in question.
If he tries to get tough I just say 'would you like my atty to call you' and they fold.
Its plain as day in the mag moss act they cant do it.

Yes I have had a dealer try and do the same thing and they tried to be the tough guy but a quick call from my atty to the dealer and my car was fixed under warranty by the end of the day.

Am I the only that noticed that he removed his cats? I don't see how he's going to fight that with a regional rep.

You'd have an argument if you hadn't of removed the cats. It is ilegal. I'm not criticizing you for doing it because I plan to do the same thing. But when you dance you have to pay the fiddler. Sorry, bud.

PaddyOBrian said:
Am I the only that noticed that he removed his cats? I don't see how he's going to fight that with a regional rep.

You'd have an argument if you hadn't of removed the cats. It is ilegal. I'm not criticizing you for doing it because I plan to do the same thing. But when you dance you have to pay the fiddler. Sorry, bud.
the cats have nothing todo with his transmission,driving without a windshield is illegal as well,will that void the warranty?

PaddyOBrian said:

The 2 mechanically have nothing to do with one another and even if taking a cat off is illegal it still has nothing to do with the tranny failing.

Speeding is illegal so do the dealers get to void your warranty when you speed?

What about having too dark of tint?

Or how about driving without insurance, can they void your warranty for that?

'Fraid not and thats what the Mag Moss protects you against.

thats just shitty on the dealer's part. he didn't have to do that. my Chevy dealer was cool with me having a blower, headers, no cats, no muffler, custom pcm, etc on my C5 vette. of course, i didn't expect him to replace the two blown clutches or the cracked rotors either. he did though still honor the warranty for things like a broken power seat module. i was fair with him and he was fair with me.

I'm sorry but the Magnuson Moss act does not protect you against this. I'm going to alter the federally regulated emission system and then get my panties in a bunch when I get called on it and my warranty is voided.

Your argument about speeding and dark window tint being illegal is not even remotely relevant. He removed his cats and that's what voided the warranty. Honestly, if we was running mids he should have put the cats back on before he took the truck in. Some people don't mind being dishonest.

I've modded my truck knowing that my warranty can be voided. And if it is that's life. Everybody wants something for nothing.

It's nice that a Chevy dealer let you slide and was open to mods. He acted at his own discretion. The ball is in the dealer's court. If I was a regional rep all I would say is that the tranny isn't equiped to handle a vehicle running without cats. I don't know what's so hard to understand. I'm sure that if he tried to reason with the regional rep and agree to re-do the mods he can get something worked out. I've seen warranties voided for aftermarker sparkplugs. Dealers just laugh when someone ignorantly references the Magnuson Moss Act. You better bring your A-game if you plan to take them on. They hear it all the time. If you got the money go ahead and fight them. I would just take it as a hard lesson learned.

His warranty is gone. I'll be surprised if he gets it back. If, for some reason, the Magnuson Moss Act saves him I'll gladly eat some crow. Get real...

Last edited:
It should stil be covered by warranty but can see you are on the losing side of the argument. Increasing the HP can influence wear and tear on the driveline. My Viper tech and dealership has fixed a list of warranty issues even though my truck is heavily modded......but.....when my tranny went south, I didnt press it.

My Viper tech has watched me do a few 5000rpm drops with slicks at the track :D So when I asked him at the track is I could swing in and get it checked out....he just smiled and said, "you can try but its not my call, the manager is going to crawl up and down your truck" in order to make the warranty evaluation.

I never even tried....

Anyway, I would still press for warranty replacement since you havent done significant mods to impact the lifespan our your trans.

BTW, T-56 rebuilders uses the Ram SRT-10 trans on all of their race cars.

PaddyOBrian said:
I'm sorry but the Magnuson Moss act does not protect you against this. I'm going to alter the federally regulated emission system and then get my panties in a bunch when I get called on it and my warranty is voided.

Your argument about speeding and dark window tint being illegal is not even remotely relevant. He removed his cats and that's what voided the warranty. Honestly, if we was running mids he should have put the cats back on before he took the truck in. Some people don't mind being dishonest.

I've modded my truck knowing that my warranty can be voided. And if it is that's life. Everybody wants something for nothing.

It's nice that a Chevy dealer let you slide and was open to mods. He acted at his own discretion. The ball is in the dealer's court. If I was a regional rep all I would say is that the tranny isn't equiped to handle a vehicle running without cats. I don't know what's so hard to understand. I'm sure that if he tried to reason with the regional rep and agree to re-do the mods he can get something worked out. I've seen warranties voided for aftermarker sparkplugs. Dealers just laugh when someone ignorantly references the Magnuson Moss Act. You better bring your A-game if you plan to take them on. They hear it all the time. If you got the money go ahead and fight them. I would just take it as a hard lesson learned.

His warranty is gone. I'll be surprised if he gets it back. If, for some reason, the Magnuson Moss Act saves him I'll gladly eat some crow. Get real...

ease up on old Bo tiger, I've worked at dealers before and I can tell you the sweaky wheel gets the grease. If you go to the dealer whom you are familiar with the matter can be resolved. Bo too bad you don't live closer I would have you come into my dealer he would fix no problem.

Do you all have selective reading skills? I didn't attack Bo. I pointed out that it could possible be resolved. Personally I don't think it will.

I also mentioned that each service manager acts at their own discretion. So good for you, Craig, that you haven't had problems. Even Mopar performance parts carry a disclaimer stating that your warranty can be affected.

Last edited:
I'm not defensive I'm simply clarifying that I'm not attacking Bo. I just don't think this is going to work out for him. It would be nice if we could all mod the hell out of our trucks and still get free service but it doesn't work like that. I don't think it's cool that his warranty was voided but I don't feel bad for the guy, either. It is what it is.

Latest posts

Support Us

Become A Supporting Member Today!

Click Here For Details

Back